Classes could rebuild creativity ruined by technology

February 19, 2016

The various capabilities of cell phones, ranging from texting to social networking sites, require almost no intellectual capabilities. As a result, the cell phone has taken the place of many in-person interactions.

As cell phones are construed as a seemingly a necessary “extension of the hand,” it is understandable how public’s receptivity to creativity has seen a steady decrease.

Creativity is a phenomenon in which something new and somehow valuable is formed. The created item may be intangible, such as an idea, a scientific theory, a musical composition or a joke or a physical object.

In other words, creativity is much more than the simple doodles produced by toddler or the imaginary worlds thought up by kids. Creativity is the exchange of ideas between people.

The benefits of creativity are very impactful. Creative people consistently yield ideas that propose solutions to problems seemingly unsolvable.

In today’s society, problems such as border control and the daunting thought of ISIS taking more innocent lives loom over the United States. With peoples’ receptivity to creativity decreasing, less people are producing promising solutions. Political, environmental and other matters demand attention. Without promoting creativity, our society will not see these various issues resolved.

A possible resolution to the issue of developing more creative people is actually quite simple: offering an elective class on creativity.

Cell phone popularity does not seem likely to dwindle any time soon, so offering a class on creativity seems plausible. The class would not follow a traditional class structure, something that would appeal to many students.

A textbook would not be necessary since creativity cannot be simply taught, but rather a skill that must be strengthened through practice. Students in the class could participate in intellectual conversations and would form their own opinions on the subject.

By considering the opinions of their peers, they can build off of the ideas of others and expand their thinking. These discussions would provide students with the capabilities of forming their own unique opinions on matters not simply answered through reading textbook pages.

A creativity class would aide in developing quick-witted, leadership skilled people many corporations and political offices need.

At Central specifically, since a speech class nor a debate team is available for students, the addition of this elective would be a beneficial opportunity to students. More importantly, this class would shape students into more creative people that would further benefit society.

Problems that seem to be impossible to attempt to solve completely, such as ISIS or even global warming, would now be presented to more people with a different way of tackling the issue. Every step should be taken in effort to produce realistic solutions to pressing matters.

The decrease in the public’s receptivity to creativity can be halted, and with the addition of creativity elective classes, receptivity can grow again.

Out of any demographic, teenagers use their cell phones the most, and it is important to incorporate intellectual conversations into their daily lives. Texting the fastest is not a skill valuable to society, but being creative enough to come up with solutions to solve major issues is.

$975
$1500