Students creates program to provide basic needs for others

May 5, 2016

Central has always been known as a generally safe and comfortable school. With an open-minded staff and a clean environment, a healthy and productive atmosphere is made possible. Central’s higher standards help accommodate for the massive student body. However, some students are still struggling to get basic necessities, which eventually becomes detrimental to their grades and in-class performance.

Whether it’s toiletries, clothes, food or other miscellaneous items, some students have specific needs. Without these things, their potential for doing great in school diminishes. To counteract this, an anonymous Central student has stepped up to the plate.

With the help of the school’s counseling department, this person has jump started a program known as Nest. This program essentially uses a secluded room within the school to store toiletries, clothes and other necessities. Students in serious need of any of these resources can stop by and pick them up anonymously and free of charge.

As the head of the counseling department, Bette Ball has assisted the anonymous individual in creating this opportunity for Central students. Though most of the resources required for this project are expected to be donations, a bit of financial help will inevitably be needed to push the program further. Some supporters of this cause have even offered monetary donations, and Ball is working hard to officiate Nest within the school.

The concept of Nest comes from the anonymous individuals past school, where a similar program was established. Their version of Nest is very organized and well-stocked, yet continues to stay below the radar to protect students from embarrassment. “I assume [Central students] will like the idea… I think it will help some students come forward.”, they said.

Nest’s unrevealed founder hopes to create an easily accessible and secretive outlet for students in need. This person also encourages students to come forward to their teachers and administrators if they are ever in desperate need of something.

Central staff members have been instructed to keep an attentive eye out for students in dire situations, and have been showing ample support for the Nest program.

Ball and the unnamed student have been overwhelmed with the almost instant support for this project. Immediate interest and even early donations from community members and Central alumni are helping Nest get on its feet.

Additionally, the two have been working to promote Nest to the right crowd. So far they’ve reached out to local Targets, Shopkos and other retail locations. Within the next few years, frequent donations from these establishments may help keep Nest’s shelves stocked with stylish, brand-new clothes.

Nest’s future lies in the hands of the students, according to the founder. Staff members can help with technicalities and promotion to an extent, but keeping the Nest room managed and organizing donations is up to Central’s student body. A select few individuals have been informed about Nest, and will help maintain it even after the program’s founder has left.

Ball has expressed great confidence in Nest, and hopes to see it expand in the near future. “This is really kind of a grassroots movement, it’s starting with the students. That’s so typical of Central students, they get ideas…they want to serve the community, and they make it happen”, she said.

Nest is accepting donations of new (or very lightly-used) clothes and shoes, unused toiletries, school supplies, and anything else that may help a student in need be successful.

If you would like to donate or request basic information about the program, please visit the counseling offices in room 129.

$975
$1500