Lily Gilliland

Block 16 is located at 16th and Farnam Streets

Downtown restaurant feels like home, prices reasonable

October 6, 2016

Block 16, a restaurant which prides itself on farm to table street food, is located at 1611 Farnam Street and open six days a week: 11 P.M. to 3 P.M. Monday through Saturday for lunch and then again from 5 P.M. to 9 P.M. for dinner Thursday through Saturday. It is owned by a couple who met in Metropolitan Community College’s Culinary program, where they earned credentials and broadened their network of friends, chefs, and fellow foodies.

Their families remain the original culinary inspiration. An Italian-Canadian great-aunt and Belgian-American grandma from South Omaha are inspirations of theirs. They pride themselves in offering the freshest food possible. They buy local, humanely raised, and preservative-free ingredients. Block 16 has offered 1,400 different specials in the past four years, with only a few repeats and they try to introduce customers to new food preparations every time they enter the door. Along with taking pride in the freshness that each menu option provides, they also provide vegan options so that no one is limited in their choices of what to order.

Block 16 has a certain cozy feel when one enters the door. It is almost like a family kitchen because of the smaller space and fresh food that one knows he or she is about to receive. The service was exceptional and one can tell that the employees truly care about your experience at the restaurant and want to make it the best that it can be.

During my visit to Block 16 I tried the “Croque Garcon Burger” and it was fantastic. The burger was well done as I asked but remained tender and juicy. The egg adds a good amount of unique texture to the burger that one does not experience many other places. The ham and cheese added another level of richness, making it hard to finish despite the quality of the meal. Their sweet potato fries are also recommended with this meal because it adds a melodious twist to the burger that one would not get with regular fries or any of the other sides when paired with it.

Despite the quality and freshness of the food, the price range is quite respectable. Most of the menu options are under $10 making this a great place to grab a quick lunch when in the Old Market. Although this is a great lunch option, especially for those in or near the Old Market, it is also a great family dinner restaurant. There is a wide variety of options on the menu so picky eaters should have no problem finding something they like.

As a result of their food and service, Block 16 has received numerous awards and accolades. To name a few: both chefs were named in Best Chefs America 2013, named Best Local Food-Serving Restaurant by “The Reader”, and awarded 1st place for “Best Burger in Omaha” by the Omaha World Herald.

After my experience at Block 16 I expect anyone who visits to have a pleasant experience and enjoy their meal. Anyone looking for a comfort food meal with a unique touch should check out Block 16, because they surely will not regret their decision.

$975
$1500