Road Show: The 101st year of a legacy

Choteau Kammel, Staff Writer

Few events have occurred annually for a century. Here in America, the only thing that really demonstrates longevity is the age of this nation itself. Central High School was founded over ten years after the centennial, and in another two decades, Central would begin a tradition that would surpass any other of its kind. The Road Show began in 1914, as a way to raise funds for the senior class, and has grown into a nationally known student talent event, where those who pass the tryouts get to present their skills to an audience of peers, staff, parents, and even alumni.

This year was an especially significant year for the Road Show, as it was the Show’s 100th birthday. To help celebrate this unrivaled achievement, an Alumni Road Show was held Thursday May, 1st, the day before the regular show began. The Alumni Show featured graduates from classes of the 1990s, all the way back to the class of 1959. Even Warren Buffett, hosting his shareholders convention over the weekend, made time to come downtown and take in the festivities. News networks, such as Fox and CNBC, and even Chinese network Sina arrived to document the historic proceedings. Assistant Principal Dionne Kirksey, who was in charge of all the preparation and administration of the Road Show, recalls one of the more humorous acts as being the “Who’s on First” skit performed by class of 1999 Kristoff Berzins and class of 2004 Nick Goding. Although able to relax and take in the entertainment, Kirksey explains that in order to allow it all to happen it takes months of intense planning, and that preparations for this year’s show began last March. On how it all came together, she simply says, “I was very, very pleased.”

Following the Alumni Road Show, on Friday May 2nd, there were student Matinees 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hours, in which classes could view selected acts in the auditorium. The acts selected, were picked by drama teacher Scott Mead. That same night, the first official show opened to the public. The next two commenced the following day, May 3rd, in an afternoon and evening event. All three showcased the same acts, which this year included 30 different performances ranging from song and dance to comedy skits and orchestra. Each act was allotted a 4-5 minute time slot in order to ensure that everyone went.

Although there are usually a few repeat performers, each year new people are encouraged to perform. Several student bands performed, as well as Central’s own band, a cappella choir, orchestra, step team and jazz band. Orchestra cellist Abby Petrick, 9, recalls that orchestra began practicing in class about a month before the Road Show, and they also had mandatory on stage rehearsals to practice getting on and off the stage. She also says with a laugh, that it was “no time until show time.” She also adds that although it’s easy to get nervous, you know you have your fellow musicians to back you up, and that the orchestra really rose to the occasion. “I think we did great. Mr. Rauch said that we did great. We also got lots of compliments from teachers and people [who] attended the show.”

2014 has been a big year for the Road Show. Alumni from all over the country came, national news networks came, and over 1200 people in total came to see all the performances. Central is a school of traditions. One never knows what happens during a year that could transform into a standardized piece of history. Considering this, there is a slim chance, if any, that those class of 1914 seniors, could ever have imagined that the seed they planted, could have blossomed into a century old Omaha classic.