One’s weight does not determine beauty

Body image is the way a person perceives their body and how they believe others feel about them. This is often affected by society and social media. It comes from societies expectations of women and men.

Both men and women are expected to have flat stomachs and toned bodies year round.

According to a statistic on dosomething.org, 91 percent of women are unhappy with their bodies and more than 40 percent would consider getting cosmetic surgery in order to have the body they desire.

There are many television shows glamourizing a 600-pound person transforming into a normal weight somewhere between 150-215 lbs. Losing weight isn’t easy. Of course having professional aid and working out non-stop for months while watching what is consumed daily will help lose weight faster, but that isn’t the case for overweight mothers and fathers, or busy high school students who have a jam packed schedule, really anyone with a relatively normal life.

Shaming them for something they probably already know about themselves isn’t going to solve anything.

The first thought that comes to mind about body shaming is a fat person. Body shaming is often overlooked when it comes to someone who has a skinny body shape. Many would ask, “What’s wrong with being skinny? Isn’t that what every girl wants to be?”

Comments like “Go eat a burger” or “You need to eat more so you can gain some weight” are just as bad as telling a thick person to lose some weight and to stop eating. Telling someone to eat more or eat less results in eating disorders. Fat people become anorexic and eat little to nothing and skinny people become bulimic and consume large amounts of food, but throw it up so it doesn’t settle. When it gets to the point a person develops an eating disorder their self-esteem has plummeted immensely.

There’s this concept that being over or under an average weight means a person isn’t attractive. That they are the rejects of society because of their weight. Short fat girls are only good for their breasts and bums, skinny tall guys only have the height to show off, fat short guys have nothing to offer because they are short and fat. As if weight actually matters.

Personal preference over a certain body type is fine, but ridiculing those who do not fit into that category is not.

A person’s body type shouldn’t matter as long they are confident and pleased at what they see in mirror.  Unfortunately, society plays a huge role in determining what is okay and what is not okay to look like. Once one learns to love them self no matter what, no one can get in the way of that and it’s the best feeling on the world.

$975
$1500