Omaha fashion week celebrates a decade of fashion in Midwest

It is the fifth largest fashion event in the United States. It is the grand, ever-so remarkable Omaha Fashion Week. 2017 fall collections debuted on the runway Monday August 21 through Thursday August 24. Though, this year a special night was added to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Omaha Fashion Week. The celebration took place on Friday, August 25 the Omaha Design Center as did the entirety of Omaha Fashion Week.

While my columns are usually about fashion and modeling in general, this time I was able to experience both aspects in one night. Arriving in a line backstage at four in the afternoon I was one of the few who knew what they were wearing and immediately was sent to the makeup chair. Crew members were relieved when a model was aware of the outfit they were wearing that night because it meant at least one thing could go smoothly. Looking at beforehand aspect of the Homecoming show in its totality, was kind of unorganized. The models are part to blame as well as those in charge of the night. Upon talking to other models, many of them waited vigorous amounts of time before receiving hair and makeup.

There were three spaces; backstage, the model lounge and the selfie station. Cameras were not allowed backstage due to models changing into their outfits. At one point, my hair stylist called me from the model lounge to get my hair retouched and I brought my phone backstage but was fiercely scolded for just having it in my hand. I ended up putting in my bra and was told to not do it again. One thing to note, it was extremely hot backstage. The bright lights, curling irons and straighteners combined with the amount of people backstage and practically everyone talking at the same time was like global warming in the Middle East. I was lightly perspiring just sitting in the makeup chair.  Yet, I would do the entire night over and over again.

While the official Omaha Fashion Week website said the event started at 6 p.m. and ends at 10 p.m. neither was true. Guests were suggested to show up around six and the show began at 8 p.m. For those who do not know, the show is ran in two intervals. One half showcased the best looks from the 2008-2013 collections. Moreover, the other half modeled the grandest looks from 2014-2018. Models could watch the show at the selfie station, but the camera quality made the big screen television look like a microwave door. Finally, the show started and those modeling in the second half were advised to get dressed and yes, that includes me. I walked in the 2016 Homecoming collection. What I wore was total New York street style and I loved every bit of it. I modeled for a mini collection that was quite futuristic with its prints and fabric. The outfit I wore was romper, which is a shorter version of a jumpsuit (it is a one piece). Another model walking in the same mini collection as I described the fabric for the top part of the romper as the bottom of slippers. The grip like feeling at the bottom of slippers is the exact textile that was used to make the looks cohesive. It was sleeveless and outlined with black with a black strip in the middle. The rest of the outfit being dark denim cut off that paired well with the sky blue colored waves decorated from front to back. The look itself was very modernistic and chic.

After passing time by taking pictures, boomerangs, reading a book and listening to music the time to line up for the runway had finally come. Energy was bouncing up and down and wall-to-wall. Everyone, first timers or not, were stoked to have their chance to walk. In that moment, right up until I strut the runway, I felt at a peak. But once I was tapped on the shoulder giving me the go head to walk, I skyrocketed. One of the best parts was walking to “Sorry” by Beyoncé. To make things even better (nerve-wracking) Fern Mallis, creator of New York Fashion Week (NYFW) and godmother of fashion, was front and center at the end of the runway.

I walked the runway a total of three times that Friday night. And I loved it.

$975
$1500