New Club Provides Opportunity for Aspiring Ukulele Players

Music occurs all throughout Central as classes are offered for choir, band, orchestra, and guitar. But there is a new music club that captures the attention of students who have a keen-interest in playing a certain type of string: the ukulele.

Every Wednesday after school, students join French teacher Micah Ringlein in room 120 to learn more about this unique instrument for the first time ever. “Our routine will consist of saying hello, introducing ourselves, and dividing up into groups if people want to talk about ukulele purchases, chords, specific songs, [etc.],” Ringlein said.

Newcomers are able to join at any time and start learning about the ukulele right away. No matter what skill level a student has, they are strongly encouraged to join.

“We have a good club,” sophomore Melisa Ontiveros said. “I’m hoping that a lot more people will join, and that we all learn at least a few more chords than we already know.”

Many people have expressed their wish to play the ukulele, but don’t know where to start. “I already knew how to play the guitar, and I just wanted to learn another instrument that was outside of school,” Ontiveros said.

Even though this is the ukulele club’s first year open to Central students, the idea has been forming for years. “Ukulele club actually started years ago when a student saw me using a ukulele as a quiet signal,” Ringlein said. “Our conversation evolved into discussing the founding of a club here at CHS.”

The meetings commences with students teaching each other songs and chords on the ukulele, as well as music in general. Now the club has gained the attention of students as a way to let loose and have some fun. “I thought that the ukulele club would be a nice, relaxing time to go every single week,” Ontiveros said. The benefits of playing the ukulele, or any other instrument, includes more than the opportunity for relaxation.

Playing an instrument can be a way for someone to express themselves without having to verbalize their emotions. “Ukulele club has helped me in that I can be with others who are experiencing the same learning challenges as I am,” Ringlein said. “An instrument enables you to tap into another form of self-expression and way to connect with others.”

As high school becomes a time to explore one’s interests and identity, students need to be able to find ways to express themselves to others to show their individuality and personality to others. Self-improvement is also essential for this to occur. “I wish to improve my ukulele-playing skills by being able to at least know how to strum when playing different songs,” Ontiveros said. Practicing every day and not giving up while learning to play the instrument of choice is important for self-improvement.

The ukulele club teaches students to learn how to play the ukulele as a way to encourage others to play as well. “I was hoping that I could encourage others on my dormitory floor to play as well, but people just kept on buying guitars,” Ringlein said. “I drifted away from my ukulele pretty quickly and went back to learning heavy metal guitar solos.”

Once a week, students can help the spread of ukulele connoisseurs by attending the newly-founded club after school, and—most importantly—have fun.

$975
$1500