Trump administration fixates on tarnishing Obama’s legacy

Aside from being the first Black President of the United States, Barack Obama managed to leave behind a legacy from his eight years in office that will last for years to come. There are a number of things to remember about Obama’s presidency and the things he managed to achieve. Among his most notable achievements was passing the Affordable Care Act, which offered the concept of universal healthcare, something past presidents have failed to do. He also passed and expanded upon laws that included wilderness and watershed protection, payment wronged to minority farmers, improving school nutrition and he began the process to end the War in Iraq and bring American troops home from Afghanistan.

Obviously, there are some laws and executive orders that the average American may not be aware of, but one should bear in mind not every good thing is streamed through the media, therefore opinions are always inherently biased. Though, one should know, it is possible to critique and assess the way American government was run through an eight-year span under the Obama administration. That being said, the role of Obama’s successor, it is their responsibility to essentially “clean up” the President’s beforehand mistakes. For example, Obama spent his first four years in office cleaning up the previous republican presidents’ works such as, repealing “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” which made it illegal for LGBTQ to openly serve in the military, the expansion of stem cell research and according to washingtonmonthly.com, reversing Bush Era torture policies in foreign aspects. It can be argued that there was not much to be fixed in social, political and economic terms. The counteract is rural Americans were upset by Obama’s presidency and the failure to uphold what was promised. All in all, it is a matter of one’s place in society whether his presidency had a positive or negative impact on their life.

Nonetheless, it is one thing for the current administration to fix what they believe is misconstrued and completely erase and dismember the legacy Obama left behind. Case in point, one of the most controversial acts would be the administration’s fight to repeal the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, also known as DACA. This immigration policy made it possible for young individuals (Dreamers) who entered the U.S. “illegally” and gives them opportunities to obtain driver’s licenses, enroll in college and find jobs. It does not mean they are all on a path to American citizenship, just stops them from being deported to a country they can hardly remember.

Among immigration and “building that wall” laws and orders have been discussed that alter the lives of Americans drastically like pulling the U.S. out of the Paris agreement for climate accord, repealing affordable health care, nationwide nutrition for children and schools and adjusting Title IX which deals with sexual assault on college campuses.

Instead of fixing what is broken, the current President seems fixated on tearing down Obama’s legacy and having a large ego to back up his fascination with being a better president than Obama ever was (not possible). As if all he will do is sign executive orders because Congress will never pass the policies he, himself comes up with to better the country. Per constituioncenter.org, the constitutional basis for the executive orders is the President’s broad power to issue executive directives. Since there is no exact definition of executive orders, therefore no specific provision authorizing their issuance. Granted, they will not all be passed thanks to checks and balances, it is the fact this man is in office and is running the country. Though his seemingly only purpose is to dismember the ideals of the only Black President, and hello, this is America.

The Administration is a mess and that is through the eyes of a politically aware teenager. I don’t know what exactly is happening within the walls of the White House, but what I do know is every tweet the President makes causes a frenzy. And every CNN headline about the Cabinet causes a frenzy and outcry toward the media. And every second since Tuesday, November 8, 2016 America has been on edge.

$975
$1500