Modern realistic fiction novel gives insight to black lives matter movement

The essence of “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas is exceptional through and through. For her first novel, Thomas exceeded several expectations pertaining to its modernity in the young adult genre. One will finish this novel with a different outlook of life. It is exceptional work on behalf of Thomas, who tackles a multitude of issues such as racism, gangs, domestic abuse, interracial dating and the biggest topic, police.

The Hate U Give is the story of a 16-year-old girl Starr Carter who lives in a poor black neighborhood but she goes to a predominately white, rich school. It commences with Starr at a party minding her own business, until she is forced to leave and the most tragic thing a black person could ever face in America, happens to her best friend. From that point on, Starr’s life begins to change as well as those around her in the community.

The span of the novel happens in a span of about two months from the event that takes place in chapter one. The way Thomas incorporated relevant social issues into one novel and twists the words into a masterpiece is unreal.  One of the best things about The Hate U Give is how young African American kids can read it and know where Starr is coming from. No one ever speaks those type feelings aloud and knowing this fictional character feels the same way as one does inside could be the thing that gets them into books. The Hate U Give gives insight and perspective into the lives of African American victims that the media may ignore. Readers find themselves hoping, wishing and praying that at least in this alternative universe, justice will be allotted. The thing is, Thomas wrote this novel on the borderline of reality.

The progression of the novel intermingles and flows in a heart-wrenching way. Subconsciously, the reader feels for the characters in a deep sense. Thomas does an excellent job at giving a Starr a strong voice; her character development is one of the best parts of the novel. Each character plays a significant role in adding humor, severity, lightness and sometimes awkward moments that increase the quality. For example, Starr’s family is the backbone to her wit and strength. Her older half-brother, Seven, deals with his own problems with his mother and graduating from a school where he is one of the few black people. Starr’s childhood best friend, Khalil is one of the main characters, moreover what all the commotion is about. The reader can really connect to Khalil on a deeper level of

If only everyone in the United States could read this novel and read between the lines and words on the page, they could take something from it. In a society where police brutality is almost normalized and white people think just because they are not blatantly racist, they cannot perform sly racist actions. This story is bound to make its mark in the young adult genre for years to come. As it tells the story of America’s brutal past that is so very current.

$975
$1500