Revitalization of the Student Democrats

Malcolm Durfee-O'Brien

The Student Democrats Club exists in a kind of cyclical process. It starts out strong every year, but sputters out and slowly disbands by November. It usually dies at this point due to political apathy, senior Elliot Zahm said, “I think last year a lot of people didn’t show up because they thought Hillary was going to win,” citing overconfidence in the election as the downfall of last year’s club. But this year is different, as evidenced by the club’s much earlier start than previous years. This year Donald Trump is President and to students, the sky is the limit for what they can do to stop what they see as his encroachment upon as basic human values. Now they can energize the young, politically active students concerned about friends, family or even themselves being deported, with the repeal of DACA and Trump’s hawkish immigration policy.

“I think this next midterm is going to be overwhelmingly Democratic,” senior Nick Koehler said. He believes the Democrats could potentially flip both the House and Senate in what has historically been an electoral referendum on the President. Koehler views Student Democrats as a potential powerful force to mobilize the Democratic base and push Democratic policy through the Nebraska Legislature. “If we can get students to volunteer to knock on doors, to get out the vote, that’s the goal.”

Koehler currently estimates around 25 members of the club and he wishes to double that so that Student Democrats can start organizing in the chorus room and lend greater legitimacy to the club. They currently meet in room 110. Koehler has stated that he has speakers lined up through November. He has suggested the idea of taking the entire club to the State Capitol to lobby for various issues.

When one walks into the club, the Democratic Base is on full display. The club is racially and ethnically diverse. It is also ideologically diverse, clearly divided between the “Berniecrats,” embodied by Nick Koehler and the “traditional Democrats,” embodied by many of the other students. They don’t feud though, opting for civil debates.

The second club meeting this year saw the Chair of the Douglas County Democratic Party, speaking of the importance of youth involvement in politics. The third meeting revolved around organized chaotic discussions centered around DACA’s removal.

Sponsor and psychology teacher Timothy Shipman chose Koehler to lead because of his connections and experience. Koehler is deeply intertwined with the Democrats. Currently he is working on Kara Eastman’s Congressional campaign and was a top intern to Senator Mello’s Mayoral Campaign earlier this year. The club plans on meeting every Tuesday after school in 110 and aims to have events and speakers planned for each central discussion at each meeting.