Even After Start, Mike Riley, Nebraska can Still Salvage Season

October 6, 2017

What a first five weeks it has been in the Nebraska football season. A disaster averted against Arkansas State, an embarrassment averted in Eugene, a disaster against Northern Illinois, an athletic director fired, and two ugly Big Ten wins. Do not look now, but as crazy as it may sound, Nebraska leads the Big Ten West and Wisconsin comes to town Saturday night.

This season can still be saved. Nebraska beat Illinois Friday night to improve to 2-0 in conference play. A win against Wisconsin would give the Huskers the tiebreaker in the Big Ten West standings over the Badgers. That could be crucial come Thanksgiving. Equally importantly Mike Riley’s squad would 3-0 in conference play, and 4-2 overall, with the NIU loss out of memory and instead replaced by optimism and a chance to jump back into the top 25 with Ohio State coming to town.

Nebraska is 46-5 all time under the lights at Memorial Stadium, having won their past 19 such contests. Nebraska will need a strong effort to get the job done Saturday. Quarterback Tanner Lee came into the Illinois game averaging 224.5 passing yards per game, had 7 touchdowns on the year to go along with an FBS record 9 interceptions. Three of those were returned to the house, including the 14 free points Lee gave NIU in 21-17 loss.

After starting running back Tre Bryant went down against Oregon, Nebraska struggled to find an identity running the ball. But, against Rutgers, Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf dialed up a by committee rushing attack and it seemed to work well. Workhorse Devine Ozigbo racked up 101 yards on 24 carries against the Scarlet Knights. If Langsdorf’s unit is able to protect the football, and get a good performance from a so-so offensive line, Nebraska will have a chance, assuming the Blackshirts continue to perform the way they have been.

After an insane amount of hype, new defensive coordinator Bob Diaco introduced his new 3-4 scheme to Husker Nation by giving up 78 points in the first six quarters of the season. The following ten quarters, Diaco’s unit shut out Oregon in the second half, and yielded 7 and 10 points to NIU and Rutgers respectively. In those ten quarters Tanner Lee has given up 21 points with his three pick sixes, and the defense has given 17. If that continues from the Blackshirts, Nebraska could pull the upset.

Can Tanner Lee protect the ball? Can he get the protection he needs in order to protect the ball? Can Nebraska effectively run the ball against a ruthless Badger front 7? Can the Blackshirts continue to play well? If all of those answers are all yes, Nebraska will have a great shot at upsetting Wisconsin and maybe, just maybe, be on their way to punching a ticket to Indianapolis on the first Saturday in December.

$975
$1500