Performing arts leaders

Two female seniors embody their passion for music in their dedication to the fine arts department.

October 9, 2017

Ayla Gasca and Noelle Buller are musicians and leaders in the Central High Performing Arts Department. Unlike many high school students who struggle to find a hobby that they are dedicated to, Buller and Gasca have developed a passion for music and demonstrated how it impacts their lives.

Senior Noelle Buller is an active participant in both the Central Chamber Strings and Guitar Ensemble. She began her violin career at five years old, and has been playing for 13 years. She says that she chose to pursue music because it would “give way for more opportunities…”

Flash forward to her senior year, and she still enjoys music; she appreciates the fact that “there are so many different kinds of music and I can praise the Lord with it.” Buller mainly credits God and her parents for providing her with the natural ability and resources to excel as she did. In addition, her passion for music has emblazoned her path for the future, as she aspires to become a music therapist after high school. She says music therapy would “be my whole life: …playing music and helping others with music and hopefully giving God the glory.”

Although she has devoted most of her life to music, she believes that music, in return, has indirectly contributed towards many positive aspects that are in her life. For example, she says that music “gives me more social opportunities” and that it “definitely improves my academics, especially with math.” She loves music because it is “a way of communication; it’s a connector between all kinds of people.”

Senior Ayla Gasca actively participates as a clarinet/bass clarinet in the Central High Band, while also being a vocalist in the Central High Acapella Ensemble. She has been involved with music for nine years, starting in the fifth grade when she was introduced to a variety of instruments, which motivated her to begin learning the nuances of playing clarinet.

Since the conception of her music career nine years ago, Gasca has developed many leadership skills through both Band and Acapella. She says that what makes her, and anyone who is involved in performing arts, a leader is that “I try my best and I really am passionate about what I do; I want to show everyone how passionate I am as well.” Granted, although she does not have an excess of free time due to her commitments to Band and Acapella, she says that music “affects my life in a way that I truly am happy with what I am doing.” She says that music has also impacted her social life in both positive and negative ways. According to Gasca, “over the years I have [become] distant with people because it takes up so much of my time.” Meanwhile, however, the best thing that she gained from music was friendships.

After high school, Gasca plans on continuing music in the form of music theory classes and learning more about music itself, not necessarily how to play it. Regardless, music will still definitely be a part of her life because she believes that “if we didn’t have music, we wouldn’t be as spontaneous, and people rely on music to make their lives better.”

$975
$1500