Free speech zones threaten free speech

For some reason, America has seen an increased number protests in the last year or so. Most recently, NFL players have been kneeling during the national anthem before their games. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that people are offended by these displays. The players are, after all, disrespecting the American flag (OUR flag!) and somehow also disrespecting the military (I forgot how exactly, but I’m sure there was a perfectly logical explanation). What could possibly be worse? No, seriously, I dare you to think of one thing that would be worse than football players kneeling during the national anthem. I understand that the players want to shed light on issues of inequality and police brutality, but do they have to do it in a place where millions of people are watching? As Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin wisely said, “They can do free speech on their own time.”

Fortunately, there is a solution. We just need to designate specific “Free Speech Zones” where people can protest and express their views, while parks, football stadiums and other public places remain free of such shenanigans. The Free Speech Zones would, of course, be in secluded areas where they wouldn’t interfere with the normal workings of daily life, that way protesters could blow off steam without inconveniencing upstanding Americans with uncomfortable truths.

The application process for these zones would be simple. The protest organizer would simply have to fill out a short form to specify the purpose and estimated length of the demonstration, the number of people involved, the sex and ethnicity of the organizer and a few other details, and within six to eight business days, they would have an appointment (assuming their application was accepted).

I know this proposal might seem like a little much, but consider the benefits: No longer would Americans be forced to endure the excruciating pains of waiting in traffic blocked by protesters. The media could stop covering the protests and finally focus on what really matters: celebrity gossip. It is absolutely ridiculous, nay, baffling that I haven’t seen a story in the news about what daycare Beyonce is going to use. But most importantly, it would allow us all to simply kick back, relax and watch millionaires give each other concussions, without having to think about the institutional racism ingrained in our society

Of course, there will always be people who decide to break the rules and protest anyway, but I’m sure they’ll stop once they realize that no change has ever come from civil disobedience. Then, and only then, can we be truly free.

$975
$1500