New climbing gym fosters growing climbing community

Mac O'Brien, Staff Writer

Those in Nebraska in search of a mountain to climb will likely leave disappointed, but there is a growing community of rock-climbers in Omaha. This community was nurtured into development largely by the creation of the Approach Climbing Gym in August of 2015. Approach is the only gym in the state dedicated to rock-climbing.

On their website, the gym states that “Approach endeavors to create a socially engaging space, while facilitating in the development of healthy minds, bodies, and relationships.” This promise is reflected by the gym’s open and friendly atmosphere. Guests are greeted upon entering by a friendly smile, and sometimes a friendly dog. The staff are happy to “show the ropes” to new climbers and to offer encouragement to the regulars. There is even a special section of the gym dedicated to children too young to climb in the main areas.

Sophomore Michael Pavel is one of the climbers who was given an opportunity to develop their talents by Approach. He began climbing at Approach about a year ago, and has been going back ever since. Pavel thinks highly of the sport as well as Omaha’s tight-knit group of climbers.

“The climbing community in Omaha is small, but very passionate about the sport,” Pavel said.

Through practice, Pavel has developed the skills that he feels are necessary to be a successful climber, such as strength, balance and precision. According to the Approach website, “Climbing is excellent for enhancing problem solving, communication, and leadership skills. It’s also great for building balance and coordination, physical strength, and self-esteem.”

According to Pavel, rock-climbing also serves as an effective way to get away from the stresses of everyday-life.

“At first I just climbed because it was fun,” Pavel said. “But now I have realized that I climb because it helps me escape from reality. When I’m on the wall, I am so focused on what I’m doing that I forget everything that isn’t relevant.”

Furthermore, climbing requires intensive focus, which serves as an outlet for Pavel to cope with his ADD.

“I also climb because it challenges me mentally,” Pavel said. “I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) which makes me really have to focus to achieve the routes I want to get.”

While climbing does make for a good leisure sport, there are also some financial incentives for elite climbers. Climbers participate in national and international competitions, and work at gyms like Approach, setting routes. Pavel, for instance, would like to follow in the footsteps (footholds?) of his climbing role-models Adam Ondra and Alexander Megos, who are both internationally renowned climbers.

“I plan to become sponsored and go climbing around the world,” Pavel explained. “I also want to become a route setter at climbing gyms.”