Millennials grouped into newer generations, shamed by media

Millennials are ruining the housing industry. Eight reasons why millennials seem to be lazy at work. Five industries millennials are ‘killing.’ Five really good reasons to hate millennials. These are actual headlines from trustee news sites written by baby boomers and Generation X blaming all the world’s problems on millennials. But who are the millennials the media is blaming exactly? There are 75 million millennials in America, which is a large part of the country’s population. Generation Y, often called millennials are the 23 to 37-year-olds born from 1980 to 1994. From 1995 to 2012 is Generation Z. There are 23 million people whom are a part of Generation Z. My generation isn’t even considered to be millennials, yet we continuously get grouped into one large spanning generation for the media to use as their punching bag. Combined millennials and gen z make up 98 million Americans and are on track to replace the baby boomers. The fact millennials alone have surpassed baby boomers as the largest generation should say something in itself.

The media tends to blame millennials for ruining industrial industries that do not pertain to us. As if we were all responsible for the housing market crash in 2008 because we were not buying houses. Older generation, more specifically, Generation X, at the way we must handle the predicaments their generation has bestowed upon us. They are upset less people want to pursue a higher education beyond high school. They are upset some millennials are 19 and 20-years-old and living at home. They are upset millennials are not rushing to mortgage a house. They are upset because millennials prefer to start domestic living when they are in their late 20s to early 30s.

They do not understand that life is much harder now. Millennials and gen z have planned their lives and are planning their lives around the world today. The world that has been shaped by the actions from baby boomers. They are not in a rush to mortgage because the average American mortgage is $190 thousand and a thousand per month (not including utilities). Even then, 10 percent of homes have a monthly cost of three thousand. Americans hold $10 trillion in mortgage debt on family residences. Baby boomers and gen z do not realize that independence is a staple value for millennials. While I do not speak on behalf of all millennials, I can say they are given the worst reputation. There are individuals whom are a part of generation y and z that completely disagree with the typical millennial notions. When I say ‘we’ or ‘us’ I mean gen y and z because why not? We are already clumped together by the media. It’s really shameful the media fixates on blaming newer generations for crashing markets and why the world is the way it is. Even now, if one were to read this article, they are probably thinking I am complaining and being overdramatic. I am just tired of older generations calling us spoiled, entitled and dragging 90 some million people’s lives through the dirt because they can’t comprehend simple concepts and we are doing things differently than them.

It’s time older generations open their minds and eyes to the future of America rather than judging us, speaking on behalf of us, and most of all, putting us down instead of believing in our capabilities. I mean did they really think they world would evolve on their way of thinking?

$975
$1500