Introduction of Microsoft Edge Set to Assist Students in New Ways

Microsoft Edge is the newest internet browser introduced along with Windows 10. According to microsoft.com, the battery life of a computer using Microsoft Edge lasts 77% longer than Firefox and 35% longer than Google Chrome. The new browser offers new features such as the ability to organize tabs without leaving a particular page, and managing favorite tabs all in one place, in which Microsoft calls “The Hub”. Users are also able to right-click anywhere on the tab and click on a button called “Ask Cortana” which acts as a personal assistant for the user. New browsers often offer a unique set of features, but how do they compare to other popular internet browsers?
Internet Explorer is the oldest internet browser out of the three additional browsers offered on the school computers. Despite its negative reputation of being slow and outdated, it still manages to stay with the Windows 10 update with efficiency. “It really just depends on the internet [connection] or the Wi-Fi,” Daija Jones said. Similar to Microsoft Edge (and less obvious) it was developed by Microsoft in 1995. On March 17, 2015, it was announced by Microsoft that it will replace Internet Explore as Window’s default browser in future updates, according to CNN.com. “Unlike Internet Explorer, Edge will support modern browser functions, such as extensions,” CNN author David Goldman wrote.
Mozilla Firefox was developed by the Mozilla Foundation in 2002. The Mozilla Foundation works to help give internet access to all parts of the world. It focuses on safety and independence as its main features. Firefox is a free web browser that boasts more privacy, more speed, and more freedom than its competitors. “[Firefox} is the same thing as Internet Explorer, but it is a lot faster and it helps more with research,” sophomore Kim Kathka said. Both Internet Explorer boasts speed and security, which both benefit the web-browsing process.
Google Chrome was released on Windows on September 2008 by—one may not have probably guessed this—Google. Some of the features that the browser boasts include speed, simplicity, security, privacy, and customization, according to google.com, many of which Edge does not yet have. “On the downside, Edge has relatively slim extension support, and it doesn’t allow for much customization,” the staff of digitaltrends.com explained. It also has the ability to integrate Google accounts, so personal information and web-browsing history becomes and stays personalized.
Although the main purpose of internet browsers is to get users to the internet, it is important that these browsers have features that will help benefit the most out of how one uses the internet. Different internet preferences need different internet features, and the preferred internet browser depends on the opinion of each and every student. After all, there are four options to search through.

$975
$1500