Return of the Color Guard

September 25, 2018

The mighty eagles marching Band becomes mightier this year, as they reinstated the Color Guard. It may come as news to many students that Central did indeed have a color guard before not too long ago. According to Courtney Rhoten, Central Alum class of 2016, the color guard was put on hold in May of 2015 as there would not be a coach available for the 2015-2016 season.
In 2014, the guard consisted of an eight-member team: seven girls and one boy with no official captain. This year’s color guard team consists of nine members: eight girls and one guy, with co-captains Mia Dempsey and Sarah Overbeck, who are both juniors. The small team size is credited to its novelty and sudden reinstatement as students were not given enough information regarding try-outs and what being on color guard entails. “I tried out for color guard because I felt like it would take all of my strengths and use them effectively,” said Maxwell Heyden, senior, “Also, knowing that it would be the first time in a while that Central has had a team like this made me want to do it even more.”
Heyden took the chance as an opportunity to challenge himself, however Overbeck says she was asked to consider trying out for the team. “Well Ms. Stratton had asked me a few times if I would be interested in it {color guard}. I’ve been a dancer for most of my life and I thought it would be a fun new challenge.”
Heyden and Overbeck joined the team for a challenge and challenge they got. Overbeck confessed the challenge that comes with the responsibility of being team co-captain, saying, “Personally I think being co-captain is a lot of making sure everyone else, as well as myself knows what they are doing. Sometimes it’s stressful and I often feel like being too hard on the rest of the guard, even if that’s not the case.”
Every performance requires lots of hard work and dedication. Heyden provides insight on what being on the team is like, saying, “Overall, the most difficult part about color guard is timing and consistency. To have nine people move at the most precise time while doing a routine, takes so much focus. People almost discount how difficult it is to be precise and put on a show.”
Practice makes progress, therefore the color guard practices every morning during first period and every Tuesday and Thursday night. Color guard is difficult, however like it is with any team, your team mates become your family and practice stops being work when you are doing something you love with the people you care about. Rhoten suggests, “I think color guard is something everyone, even guys should try.”

$975
$1500