Garden Club

October 1, 2018

Now on every other Thursday after school, students can meet in room 249 for the second annual start-up of the one and only Garden Club. The club is welcome to all those with the passion of gardening and enthusiasm for helping the environment in a variety of ways.  The club sponsor, Mrs. Martinez even encourages students to give suggestions on projects or ideas to include during the duration of this year’s garden club meetings. 

Opportunities such as planting inside the building year-round was popular discussion brought up by brainstorming students. “Our first goal of the year is to enhance the school environment by adding colorful, calming plant life to common areas such as the courtyard,” said Mrs. Martinez. 

Objectives throughout the year for the club include clean ups throughout the Omaha area, as community work is also an important factor. Members want to not only focus on the downtown area but expand into other neighborhoods to help clean up- and possibly plant a few things along the way.  

The club also aims to incorporate the educational aspect of learning about plants into the extracurricular activity. Occasionally, meetings will include a short lesson about the biological background of plants and how they flourish when being properly cared for. In the future, they would love to partner with other local businesses to learn more about plants as well as eco-friendly advice.  

Students hope to contribute to the landscaping around the school building and add more vividness. Due to the construction on the east side of Central’s building, club members are pushing back planting anything on that side until the project is finished (which is not expected until after Spring break). But in the meantime, students have made it a task to tidy up inside the Central building as well as clean and dispose of any trash found in the teacher, junior, or senior lots. This club takes the initiative to help the environment in small ways- like picking up trash, knowing the domino effects it can have on other students. Thus, in no time onlookers are more apt to pick up trash when they see their peers leading by example and doing the same exact thing.

$975
$1500