Ohio State football should face consequences for abuse

September 1, 2018

Ohio State, number five in the associated press poll, has recently been under fire regarding the controversial issues surrounding Zach Smith, the old assistant coach of the Buckeye’s football team. In October of 2015, the Ohio police department investigated Smith for domestic abuse allegations made by his most recent ex-wife, Courtney. Although Smith denied these claims, Courtney admitted in an interview that various wives of coaches received text messages from her about the incidents. One of the wives Courtney reached out to was Shelley Meyer, head coach Urban Meyer’s wife.  Courtney and Shelley would frequently exchange messages: Shelley questioning Courtney’s safety and health asking if she had restraining orders against Smith. Due to the concern Shelley showed, Courtney believed Urban was aware of the situation. However, in an earlier press conference on July 23, 2018, he denied having any information about the abuse between Smith and his wife.   

Another incident regarding Zach Smith’s illegal actions in June 2009 surfaced recently. Smith was arrested for aggravated battery because the threw Courtney, who was pregnant at the time, into a wall. Last month, Urban confirmed he knew of the 2009 incident before hiring Zach as a wide receiver coach in November 2011. Last month, Courtney brought her husband  to court charging him with criminal trespass on an incident from May 12 when he  was dropping their son off at her  house. Courtney claimed he violated the parenting plan by entering her residence. Zach was immediately fired after the 2015 story first surfaced.  

Although he faced his punishment, the fate of Urban and Ohio State University’s athletic director, Gene Smith, remained. After a two-week investigation conducted by Ohio State, it was decided Meyer would receive a payed administrative leave since August 1 ending September 15. However, Gene Smith has been suspended without pay from August 31 until September 16. The reason behind the leave of the two Ohio State staff members was due to their insufficient actions taken to report the allegations against Zach . Due to the suspensions, Meyer will be forced to miss three non-conference games, which are statistically in Ohio State’s favor. 

Investigations regarding Buckeye coaches, their wives, and supporting staff are still being conducted about when the domestic abuse and assault allegations surfaced regarding Zach Smith. 

$975
$1500