Oscar Pistorius’ Effect on Post-Apartheid Civilization

February 18, 2019

The murder trial of Oscar Pistorius brought with it not only significant figures but portrayed the transformations South Africa has taken in its post-apartheid civilization. Pistorius was a national hero to the citizens of South Africa, a double amputee who ran on special prosthetic legs against disabled and abled runners in international competitions, including the 2012 Olympic Games in London, where he carried the flag for his country at the closing ceremony.  

The Paralympic athlete continues out his thirteen-year sentence for the “culpable homicide” of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. Originally, Pistorius was found not guilty of premeditated murder, claiming he believed Steenkamp was an intruder, leading him to fire four shots through the bathroom door with a handgun. 

Although the case occurred only a few years after apartheid was abolished, Pistorius’ defense included the fear of crime and home invasions for white South Africans. Apartheid began during the invasion of the Dutch into South Africa, oppressing every ethnicity and race besides their own, segregating the country into white people and every other race. 

Under apartheid, the racial segregation included that of black individuals from the judicial system and all other government facilities. However, Pistorius’ trial included Judge Thokozile Matilda Masipa, 67-year old black women. She grew up during under apartheid, once arrested during an anti-apartheid protest, however, through the oppression and racism she faced, she became one of the most well-known judges in South Africa for being the second black women appointed to the judiciary and her sentence given to Pistorius of thirteen years. 

Recently Pistorius took his case to the highest court to review his jail time and possible appeal his sentence, however, was denied. It is currently unclear whether probation is a possibility. Prosecuting authorities claim there are no other legal options, and this is the end of the road for Pistorius. 

Pistorius remains a controversial figure in the track and field world and a fallen hero for South Africa. 

$975
$1500