Ayri Goodwin Gymnastics Feature

September 17, 2019

Since she was 13 years old, Ayrion Goodwin, a junior at Central, has been participating in gymnastics. In only three years, she has made it to level nine of ten. 

“Its about 30 hours a week,” Goodwin said. Right when school gets out at 3:05, on Wednesdays and Thursdays, she rushes to get to practice.  

Student athletes have packed schedules in order to include school and their sports. Sports are both physically and mentally straining, but student athletes like Goodwin find the balance. 

“I planned on doing stuff at school, but then once I realized how much I would be doing gymnastics I realized I can’t,” Goodwin said. While she found a balance, she also had to cut out any other activities she was planning. Her plans were to participate on the dance team and join

a few small clubs. But, in Goodwin’s words it is worth it to give up these activities.  

Gymnastics is not a cheap sport to participate in. In higher levels, they not only pay for practices – they also pay traveling expenses for competitions.  

“They know it’s worth it,” Goodwin said, talking about her parents. Her parents are willing to spend a lot of money because they know she is committed to turning the sport into a career.  

Goodwin has tons of medals from numerous competitions. She has a whole wall of all her medals, and she has only been a part of the sport for three years. The achievement she is most proud of isn’t specifically anything about medals, but about how she is able to have good

grades in school and being successful in gymnastics.  

She has lots of love and commitment to the sport and wants to one day turn it into a career. 

Shay Macafee is a Junior at Central and is best friends with Goodwin. Goodwin and Macafee have been friends since seventh grade. Macafee is very supportive of her best friend’s sport. 

It teaches her bravery and determination, because sometimes it’s hard to train for that many hours a week, but she still does,” Macafee said. She condemns Goodwin for her long hours and hard work. 

The sport prevents Goodwin from having free time to spend with friends. This year she is missing Central’s homecoming for a gymnastics camp.  

It is a very time-consuming sport so she doesn’t get much break time,” Macafee said. 

When asked how their friendship has been personally affected Macafee said, I do believe it lessens our time talking and hanging out. 

“Gymnastics is one of the most dangerous sports,” Goodwin said. The sport requires lots of physical exertion, which is why the practices are so long. They are doing dangerous stunts like flipping on a beam that’s only four inches wide. 

Macafee also touches on the dangers of the sport, and how severe it really can be.  

One wrong landing and you could be out of the sport forever. And if you land on your head, it could cause major damage or death,” Macafee said. 

Goodwin is determined and takes everyday risks and sacrifices in order to be a successful gymnast.  

$975
$1500