Nebraska Football, Scott Frost, bad First half of season

Well, this was not expected. I mean, people had doubts, people thought the hype of the 2019 Nebraska football season was a bit much. People thought the under 8.5 season win total was free money. I do not think anyone expected Minnesota 34, Nebraska 7. I do not think anyone thought the offense would look like a shell of its 2018 self. I do not think anyone thought Nebraska would refuse to tackle in a game again, and I do not think people thought the entire program would take a step back in year two of head coach Scott Frost’s tenure at Nebraska.

There are serious questions that now have to be asked about this program. The most alarming thing is the offense, an offense that is supposed to be one of the best in the Big Ten, now is an utter disaster. 13 points against Northwestern, 7 against Minnesota and Ohio State, and a legit possibility of getting shut out at home for the first time since 1968 on 11/16 when Wisconsin comes to town. At Frost’s introductory press conference, he said, “I hope the Big Ten has to adjust to us”, when talking about his offensive scheme. Well, it appears the adjustment has happened as the Huskers look completely lost. The offensive line refuses to block anyone, the snap from the center could be anywhere, the quarterback does not make the right reads, and find open receivers, and the receivers cannot get open, and cannot generate a deep threat. That is not even close to where Frost thought the offense would be in the middle of year two.

The biggest issue is the lack of a deep threat, and an offensive line that does not block anyone. Last year, Nebraska had a deep threat in Stanley Morgan, and the offense clicked. This year, the coaching staff has failed spectacularly at trying to find one. That is worrisome. A deep threat keeps a defense honest, makes them play some deep zone coverage, opens up space underneath, and opens up the run game. Now, an opposing defense can load the box, play man coverage and get closer to the line of scrimmage knowing they will not be beat over the top. Frost is supposed to fix that, he has not. He is also supposed to fix an offensive line that has no idea what it is doing. It seems that every play, the opposing defense is making Nebraska’s mobile quarterbacks run for their lives. The line constantly allows a 3 man rush to be effective, they constantly let corners and safety’s come unblocked on corner and safety blitzes. The game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage, Frost knows that, and he has failed spectacularly to produce a competent offensive line. That is again worrisome.

Now the thing is, that can be fixed next year or the year after that. But two off seasons in a Zach Duval weight-lifting program should produce a better offensive line. One would think Frost can find someone on Nebraska’s roster and train them to be a deep threat starting in spring camp, so that they can at least keep a defense honest come the fall. That has also not come close to happening. Yes, it can be fixed, but Frost’s coaching at Nebraska suggest it might not. Offensive linemen Bryce Benhart is currently redshirting, and he could help the line next season. But again, who knows. Nobody expected this to happen in the middle of year two. Maybe Nebraska can find a deep threat by the time next season starts. Maybe JD Speilman can be a deep threat that compliments Wan’dale Robinson, the best player on Nebraska’s roster. But again, it did not happen this year, so why should anyone believe it will happen next year.

The man deserves some time to rebuild this program. It was a disaster after Mike Riley got fired. He set this program back at least five years. But I find it hard to believe it was as bad as it is being made out to be after the disaster in Minneapolis. Bill Jennings left Bob Devaney a similar program than the one Riley left Frost. Devaney went 9-2 in year one, and he went 10-1 in year two. It’s safe to say, that’s not close to what Frost has done.

Anyone calling for Frosts head this early is crazy beyond comprehension. But, I don’t think Frost had Minnesota 34, Nebraska 7 in mind for his 19th game as head coach. There are legitimate concerns that this might not be what we all hoped it would. For now, Nebraska needs to make a bowl game this year, and try to fix its many issues during the off season. Not many people expected the Frost Era to start like this.

$975
$1500