PlayStation’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales worth the wait

The action within the game is nothing short of fantastic. Miles (the player) takes on all new enemies from those with ‘programmable matter’ that can literally form their own armor with a click of a button to thugs in the street robbing a neighborhood store.

February 1, 2021

Insomniac Games truly outdid themselves with the creation of the PlayStation exclusive title, “Spider-Man: Miles Morales”. The action, storyline, and gameplay gives players exactly what they want in this new arch of the Spider-Man game saga.

As playing from the point of view of the new character, Miles, the player gets to experience his entirely new story arch and continuation from what was seen in the original PlayStation exclusive title, ‘Spider-Man’. The game introduces his new ability called the ‘venom strike’ which allows Miles to electrocute enemies from a distance. The suits are amazing as well with one of them being based off of the hit movie “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” The details are stunning too. As Miles swings through the air, he has his own unique swing style that is also comparative to that of the ‘Into the Spider-Verse’ movie.

The action within the game is nothing short of fantastic. Miles (the player) takes on all new enemies from those with ‘programmable matter’ that can literally form their own armor with a click of a button to thugs in the street robbing a neighborhood store. The cutscenes offer both story as well as more action with epic fight scenes. One between Miles and the hothead villain ‘Rhino’ and another between Miles and an unexpected partial antagonist of the story which is too much of a spoiler for those who have not played the game yet.

The story of Miles Morales is one not to be forgotten. It seems like every form he shows up in whether it be in a comic book, video game, or movie, he sure is one heck of a character. In his own video game it is no different.

Although in the beginning, the voice acting for Miles is a bit underwhelming in that it simply does not fit the character well, the player will quickly get used to it and forget that he even sounds the way he does. The storyline for Miles in “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” is terrific however. From Miles’ experience of loss and traumatic events all the way to the climax of the game it leaves the player speechless countless times along the way. There are many unexpected twists that shock players and there are moments that bring small tears to eyes. The game truly is an emotional roller coaster and one that needs to be rode.

The game itself is not a simple copy and paste of the original ‘Spider-Man’ either. It brings all new gameplay mechanics and features. One of them being Miles’ venom strike like earlier mentioned and another being the all new way to level up and upgrade the suits. As the player, your are asked to complete miscellaneous challenges that unlock activity tokens. With the activity tokens, you then get to spend them on different suit visors and suit mods that are essential to Miles’ ability as Spider-Man. These activity tokens are earned at a much better pace than the different types of activity tokens in the original ‘Spider-Man’ game in 2018. In 2018, Peter Parker could earn eight different types of activity tokens and had to earn a specific amount for each suit or upgrade. Another differing gameplay feature is the new and improved combos Miles can do. When the player reaches a certain number of hits on enemies without being hit themselves, they can do a finisher – a powerful move that knocks down enemies in an epic animation.

In short, Miles Morales is an amazing character and ‘Spider-Man: Miles Morales’ is an extremely amazing game. The story is astounding with terrific characters and fun callbacks to comics and movies. The action is nonstop and makes the player always feel engaged with what is happening. Finally, the gameplay and new features just add to an already addictive and fantastic game. One of the best to be played in 2021 thus far.

$975
$1500