Billie Eilish releases her second studio album

September 29, 2021

Billie Eilish, one of the world’s leading pop stars, released her sophomore album on July 30, 2021. She titled her work “Happier Than Ever.” Once again, the 19 year old wrote and recorded every track with her brother, Finneas. There are 16 tracks on the 56 minute record. The album was one of the most highly anticipated of the year, partially because her first album was released over two years prior. But does Eilish’s new work live up to the hype? 

The cover art on “Happier Than Ever” is stunning and perfectly captures the feelings depicted in the album. The cover shows Eilish looking into the distance with a tear stained face. The colors are soft and golden, a direct contrast to her first studio album. In many ways, the album itself is a contrast as well. Billie Eilish is a celebrity who has essentially grown up in the spotlight, and the record touches on many themes that she has not yet been open about. We are finally able to look deeper into what Eilish has hidden from the public eye.  

A theme that is often seen in “Happier Than Ever” is how she has been viewed and treated by the public during her teen years.  Eilish has spoken out about being sexualized by the media, and this album is a reflection on that. In the past, she has been known for wearing baggy shirts, but with the album came a new era. Eilish has said that she is embracing her sexuality, and that can be seen with several tracks on “Happier Than Ever. “Lost Cause”, for example, was accompanied by a music video that was heavily criticized for the sexual innuendos that were included. In addition, “Oxytocin”, the album’s fifth track, is about sexual feelings and desire. Billie Eilish is no longer a thirteen year old, and her songs reflect that.  

Eilish does not hold back on addressing the ugly side of growing up in stardom, especially as a woman. The most outstanding track on Eilish’s record is an expression of these feelings. “Male Fantasy” is the closer of “Happier Than Ever,” Though it is not her normal upbeat bass line and catchy tune, this song uses melancholy guitar and vocals that captures her mood perfectly. Eilish sings, “Home alone, tryin’ not to eat/ Distract myself with pornography/ I hate the way she looks at me/ I can’t stand the dialogue, she would never be/ That satisfied, it’s a male fantasy.” She shows how trying to distract yourself with media can be harmful for women, especially because of the unrealistic expectations that are put on them by men. “Male Fantasy” encapsulates the confusion of living as a woman in society today.  

In many ways, “Happier Than Ever” is superior to Billie Eilish’s earlier work. The maturity that she has developed emotionally over the last few years is apparent in both her style and music. This was refreshing, and I felt like she showed a new side of herself with “Happier Than Ever,” one that isn’t hidden behind childish symbolism.  

Though she faced heavy criticism in the early stages of releasing this album, Happier Than Ever” holds up to her other work. In fact, Eilish has incredible potential to release even better music in her future. The talent that she possesses is obvious in “Happier Than Ever,” but the growth that Eilish shows is even more impressive.  

$975
$1500

$975
$1500