Kransnolobodtsev wins high profile JROTC award

The Legion of Valor Bronze Cross for Achievement is an award that recognizes JROTC cadets who demonstrate excellence in military, scholastic and civic affairs.  

Central Senior Alex Krasnoslobodtsev won the award, and he remembers the moment he found out. “I was sitting in class, and my teacher told me, and I was like, ‘Wow, this is great.’ But I didn’t realize how important it really is, especially for college applications,” Krasnoslobodtsev said.  

JROTC is about teaching kids manners and respect, Krasnoslobodtsev said. “The mission is to motivate young people to be better citizens. You learn how to fold a flag, eat properly, organization skills, and more. There [are] a lot of indirect things like, with the uniform, you learn how to pay attention to detail.”    

Krasnoslobodtsev mentioned how JROTC has affected his life in ways both big and small. “At work, I have a lint roller that I use to clean my uniform,” he said. 

Krasnoslobodtsev recommends others to join JROTC. “I would encourage others to join, especially if you don’t do any other electives,” he said. “I have gained a lot of friends from this. I really don’t know what I would do without JROTC.” 

Originally, he didn’t know what JROTC was. “As a freshman, I always thought that gym was a little too easy, and I thought JROTC was an honors/AP gym; it’s not an AP gym,” he said.  

“I’m glad I joined JROTC. One of the main reasons is for college,” Krasnoslobodtsev said.