Bright future for Central bowling programs

The Central boys’ and girls’ bowling programs have bright futures. The boys’ team has enough underclassmen to field varsity, junior varsity and reserve teams, while the girls’ team loses no seniors next year.  

“It’s exciting to think about where the team can go in the next few years,” girls’ Coach Brent Larson said. “The outlook is very positive.”  

Junior Hattie Moeller said the season was fun because of the positive team atmosphere. 

“Bowling is very exciting because I get to be with my friends while still being competitive,” Moeller said.  

Junior Malorie Lakin said she had a great year, and she especially liked the beginning of the season. 

“We played teams like Skutt and Marian, who are top bowling schools, and we beat them,” Lakin said. “It was exciting to see we could beat the best and set the tone for the rest of the season.”  

Larson said one of the most memorable moments of the season was the OPS Invitational. Central finished second after defeating Northwest, Buena Vista and Benson.  

“The girls showed their improvement from the season in that tournament,” Larson said. “It was fun to watch them compete against other OPS schools.” 

Larson said the main goal for next season is to continue to build the program.  

“We have a great group of varsity girls that will return for us next year, but we want to grow the team,” Larson said. “Next year, we want to have enough players to field varsity and junior varsity teams.” 

The number of boys involved with bowling made it a sport for all to enjoy. 

Senior Valur Jaksha said it was great to have three teams, so everyone had a chance to compete.  

“It was fun having such a large team,” Jaksha said. “We have a lot of seniors, so it’s good to see that the underclassmen have an opportunity to compete and grow the program for the future.”  

The boys went 3-1 at the OPS Invitational. They defeated North, Buena Vista and Northwest.  

“This was a very exciting tournament, especially during the match against North,” senior Brayden Simpson said. “We reached our goal, and everyone was excited and cheering the entire time.”  

The boys’ team’s goal at the beginning of the season was to hit 700 pins overall during a match, and against North, the Eagles were able to reach 830.  

Moeller said a highlight of the season was the bus ride home from the Fremont match.  

“It was snowing, so we were all a little scared the bus wouldn’t make it home,” Moeller said. “We were able to bond with the boys and make a lot of jokes on the ride home.”  

Although neither team qualified for the state tournament, excitement for the program is building. 

“I am excited for what is to come for the girls’ and boys’ bowling programs,” Jaksha said. “I’m sure the underclassmen will be a threat in the future.”