‘Mamma Mia:’ a soundtrack unlike any other

This year, I had the pleasure of being able to attend the showing of the 2023-2024 Omaha Central High musical production “Mamma Mia!” and the songs featured were unlike any other. I have never had an instance where I have liked every single song in an album, but ABBA hit it out of the park. After having the soundtrack on loop endlessly for days, I came up with my own hierarchy of the featured music. This article features 22 songs ranked in order of my least to most favorite from the musical.  

1. “One Of Us” – This one just did not stick with me like the others did. I did not hate it, but something had to place last. I understand the message that it was supposed to paint — a woman who regrets the end of her relationship, expressing her unhappiness while the other is thriving. The lyrics are simple but emotion-evoking, especially the lines “One of us is only / Waiting for a call / Wishing she had never left at all.”
  2. “Does Your Mother Know” – This was a fun song, but the lyrics were not deep enough for me to tie meaning to it. I think the overall message of a playful, lighthearted tease regarding age differences in romantic encounters makes for an enjoyable tune. 
  3. “Take A Chance On Me” – The comedic relief of this song is intense, and I find it to be necessary in “Mamma Mia!” although it is not my favorite track. “Oh, you can take your time, baby, I’m in no hurry / Know I’m gonna get you / You don’t wanna hurt me, baby, don’t worry /  I ain’t gonna let you.” It is joyful, it is unserious, and it evokes laughter.
  4. “Knowing Me, Knowing You” – A good song with an even better beat, but there were better ones in the soundtrack. This was about the failed relationship of two people and how there was nothing that could have been done about it.
  5. 18. “Money, Money, Money” – Slightly overplayed. I put this towards the bottom of the list because there are more songs that deserve to be recognized. The beat is catchy nonetheless, and the theme is a relatable one to the working class. 
  6. 17. “Chiquitita” – This one makes me feel safe as it mirrors what is relayed between me and my closest friends. The overarching idea is that friends are always there for you, no matter what happens. I really like the melody as it progresses throughout the song and because of the unique harmonies and background vocals that are present. 
  7. 16. “Our Last Summer” – There is a certain nostalgia to this song, and I can almost imagine myself in the moment. A reminiscence of the good old days and what had gone on between two people previously in love. I like it when the voices join in during the chorus. The lyrics “Walks along the Seine / Laughing in the rain / Our last summer / Memories that remain” encapsulate wistfulness.
  8. “I Do, I Do, I Do” – I thought this was a cute song. The little pause in the music on the original version adds to the mood and makes it more heartfelt. There is a casualness to it that portrays love as trial and error, and this is represented by the lines, “Oh, no hard feelings between you and me / If we can’t make it, but just wait and see / So come on, now let’s try it / I love you, can’t deny it.” I would love to hear this song played at a wedding. 
  9. “Honey, Honey” – This was a good song to open the musical with, and it brought back the young, girlish joy of having a crush. Like other songs conveying this topic, it did an amazing job of putting that emotion into the melody and tune — it sounded exactly like what teenage love should feel like. 
  10. “Gimme, Gimme, Gimme” – I am always going to love this song. “Gimme, Gimme, Gimme” is about a woman who longs for a romantic relationship with a man. The instruments in the intro and the verse melodies are my favorite parts of this track. 
  11. “Voulez Vous” – The guitar in the intro reminds me of a video game opening, but this song almost falls into the upper half. The title “Voulez Vous,” translated into English from French, means “do you want.” In the context of the musical, it is asking whether the person the singer is singing to wants to start a relationship with her. The sudden key change is a nice addition.
  12. “SOS” – The instruments going into the chorus make for a smooth transition into the change in tone. It starts off with light piano before guitar, drums, and tambourine are introduced. The lyrics are a cry for help, but the song is anything but. It is deliberate, it is loud, and it is well made. 
  13. “Under Attack” – This was nothing special the first time I heard it, but it climbed into the top half after I learned the lyrics and listened to the official version. I know all too well the lines, “Guess I’m kind of flattered, but I’m scared as well / Something like a magic spell / I hardly dare to think of what could happen / Where I’d be if I fell.” It’s an innocent song about the process of falling in love, and it reminds me of “When He Sees Me” in the musical “Waitress.”
  14. “Super Trouper” – Although this used to be towards the bottom of the list for me, it grew on me the more I heard it. Not only are the instruments addicting (I like the peppy sound of the synthesizer), but so is the melody itself. It is an incredibly positive song, and something about it instills a sense of hope in you. 
  15. 8. “The Winner Takes It All”– This is one of the more emotional songs of ABBA in this soundtrack, and I can feel every bit of the words. Similar to “One Of Us,” this is also a song about a breakup, where one party is left unsatisfied as the other moves on with no issues. It struck a chord inside of me when I first heard the lyrics, “But tell me, does she kiss / Like I used to kiss you? / Does it feel the same? / When she calls your name? / Somewhere deep inside / You must know I miss you.” The struggle of dwelling is most definitely real.
  16. 7. “Lay All Your Love On Me” – This was a first-listen, first-love type of song. Out of all the songs, I found myself drawn to this one instantly. The message of it is something I can relate to as new feelings emerge and high-tension situations arise while falling in love. The piano, however, reminds me of a certain Wii sound effect, and I cannot help but be reminded of it upon every listen.
  17. 6. “Dancing Queen” – Having turned 17 recently myself, I can finally understand why this is the anthem of all of those coming of age. I can feel myself being rejuvenated whenever it plays, and I cannot help but smile and dance each time. “Dancing Queen” is, without a doubt, popular for a reason.
  18. 5. “Mamma Mia” – The classic namedrop of the title makes top five. I really enjoy the melody of this song, and the instrumentals are an interesting addition to the song, the subtle guitar in the background being one of the most notable. 
  19. 4. “Slipping Through My Fingers” – I think this is a very relatable song to many people in the sense that, yes, time does seem to pass by at a surprisingly fast pace, and it can be hard to come to terms with that. I cannot listen to this song without getting emotional, and the lines “Do I really see what’s in her mind? / Each time I think I’m close to knowing / She keeps on growing” resonate with me.
  20. 3. “I Have A Dream” – This song also makes me feel something. Especially with it having played at the beginning and end of the Central musical, it left a lasting impression on me, capturing my emotion before going into “Mamma Mia!” as well as all the scenes coming out. 
  21. 2. “Thank You For The Music” – I really liked this track for the lyrics. I can deeply relate to the appreciation for music as it has a big place in my heart as well. My favorite lines that describe exactly the epitome of this feeling are, “Who found out that nothing can capture a heart /Like a melody can? /What would life be? /Without a song or a dance, what are we?”
  22. 1. “The Name Of The Game” – This song had the most variability from the rest with the melody and how it changed from beginning to end. It gave me chills, both in the school musical and on the original album. The bass line adds an edgy tone to it, while the melody itself brightens up the whole song. The chorus literally being sung by a chorus adds to the emotion as, to me, it represents unity in thought. 

To read the rest of the list, go to the Central Register website.