Outdoor Club expanding enabling students to indulge in mother nature

Outdoor Club started as a ski club idea last year between Carter Hiley and Elizabeth Steinauer. The club didn’t amount to much until this year and when the club idea expanded and was pushed by Scout Dollison. The club is just starting but has big ambitions and is always looking for more people to join.  

“Over the summer I climbed a few mountains, and the whole time I was thinking man I wish I had people my age to do this with because I was doing it with my dad,” Dollison said.  

The club is small now, but they have some goals they would like to see eventually. With more funding, the outdoor club would like to have a big winter break trip or even go to Mount Crescent to ski. The outdoor club is also interested in kayaking, mountain biking, and rock climbing. So far, the outdoor club has gone to Memorial Park, fundraised, and gone on a hike. The outdoor club is just about getting outside. 

“I think there are lots of kids here who are afraid of the outdoors or who just don’t have the opportunity or push to try anything outdoors. I think being outside is healing and people develop new hobbies around outdoor activities. I want kids to have access to outdoor activities,” Steinauer said.   

In the outdoor club it doesn’t matter if you want to ski, hike, or if someone doesn’t even know what they enjoy outside yet. With the outdoor club students can meet people who share the same joy of being outside or are looking to just spend more time with nature. The outdoor club is looking for a lot more students to get involved with the club 

“I don’t care if you haven’t touched grass in a week or you’re like training to be the youngest ultra marathoner, I just think everyone should just get to go outside. Especially while we’re this age when it’s so nice out,” Dollison said.  

The outdoor club has just started and the first year has been good but a little rocky. They’re trying to get a base with enough money and interest for their club so they can do a lot more exciting and new things in the future.  

“I think what our main goal and our main mission is just to provide a space, provide opportunities for kids at Central who enjoy the outdoors but maybe don’t have people to enjoy the outdoors with, don’t have rides, or resources to go kayaking or try mountain biking. We really want to provide opportunities,” Steinauer said.