New wardrobe every summer proves unnecessary

We don’t need a new closet every summer

In a world of fast fashion, summer trends beckon us to constantly refresh our wardrobes. This cycle fuels overconsumption and harms the environment. By embracing timeless style over passing trends, we can reduce waste and make a positive impact.  

There are countless new styles constantly surrounding the beginning of summer. Over the past years, we have had new summer trends like coconut girl style, coastal granddaughter, coastal cowboy, VSCO girl and so many more. Each trend goes along with a certain wardrobe that is a total “must have” for summer.  

Yes, the newest trendy way to dress for the upcoming season is an exciting topic, but is a new style each year really something we need? Fast fashion companies like Shein, Zara, H&M and more release huge amounts of new styles each year to compensate for these quick-moving trends. According to Business Insider, Shein releases 6,000 new styles in just one day, and Zara makes 450 million garments a year.  

With these ridiculous numbers of garments produced, there are inevitably huge amounts being thrown out, especially with fast-paced trend cycles. According to PIRG, an environmental research group, 30% of all clothes made around the world are never sold, and the fashion industry is responsible for 10 percent of global carbon emissions. 

Social media has a huge impact on trend cycles, especially as different seasons start and end. Just scrolling through TikTok, you are destined to see many videos along the lines of “Hey, what’s everyone wearing this summer?” or “just watched a TikTok dissing baby tees, and I literally just stocked up. What am I supposed to do now?” There are also tons of videos pushing “summer essentials” or “what’s hot this summer.” It’s easy to get swept up in these trends all over social media, but let’s not forget about their environmental impact. 

Shein has already begun to sell all the newest items spreading through social media. Posts claiming that “tankinis are the new bikinis” are already leading to hundreds of tankini styles on their website. 

The best way to go about trying to adapt to the ever-changing fashion world is to just not. Choosing to wear what you feel comfortable in should always be a top priority. No, you don’t have to feel guilty about following a few trends every now and then, but being conscious of your impact is key. Before making a purchase, think, “Would I wear this if it wasn’t trending?” If the answer is no, then maybe reconsider. 

If you have already participated in a trend that you no longer love, there are plenty of ways to deal with unwanted clothing sustainably. Start with reimagining the piece. Ask questions like, “Is there a different way I can wear this?” You could get the clothing altered or dye/make a design on it that may encourage you to wear it more often. If none of these alterations appeal to you, donating or selling is a great option. Platforms like Depop, Poshmark, Ebay and more allow you to sell unwanted clothing online. Resell stores like Plato’s Closet are great spots if you still want to make some money off your clothing. You could also consider donating to places like Goodwill or homeless and women’s shelters.  

When donating or selling clothes anywhere, keep in mind what will sell. Clothes in poor condition will often just end up in the garbage if they don’t sell within a certain time range. If you have clothes in bad condition, you can repurpose them. Some fabrics make good rags, and others can be used for patchwork or other designs. There are endless ways to repurpose old clothing.