OPS one of ten national winners of Green Ribbon Schools award in late July

The U.S. Secretary of Education Anne Duncan and Chair of the White House Council on Environmental Quality Mike Boots announced the winners of the Green Ribbon Schools award in late July, a program now in its fourth year.

“Today’s honorees are modeling a comprehensive approach to being green by encompassing facility, wellness and learning into their daily operations. They are demonstrating ways schools can simultaneously cut costs, improve health, and engage students with hands-on learning that prepares them with the thinking skills necessary to be successful in college and careers,” Duncan said in a press release.

Omaha Public Schools was one of nine districts nationally to win the award. Fontenelle Elementary was also honored, along with 47 other schools across the United States. In 2013, King Science Magnet School was honored, and in 2012, Lothrop Magnet and Miller Park schools were awarded.

Omaha Public Schools was nominated by the Nebraska Department of Education, who recognized the strides in energy conservation and healthy living that the district was trying to make.

In February 2010, OPS adopted the Green Schools Initiative (GSI) and created an Energy Action Plan to “to reduce consumption of energy, water, and other resources… and embed environmental responsibility in the culture,” said Susan Colvin, a representative of the program for OPS and the GSI coordinator.

The Energy Action Plan asked all schools in the district to consider how they could save energy and help the environment. At each school, students are involved with recycling, litter pick-up, the planting of new trees, and other environment-based community events. In addition, all administrative offices, and 81 out of 82 OPS schools participate in the GSI effort. Recycling volumes are now at a 5-year high for the district.

Water is now being utilized better through collection of rain in barrels and troughs, and the irrigation of green spaces and soccer fields with rain.

The movement for a more environmentally-friendly bus program is one of the biggest projects within the district. OPS evaluates routes of buses to make sure they are efficient, and has converted over 400 buses to propane autogas systems. OPS currently owns the largest fleet of autogas buses in North America, which saves over 2.3 million pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere each year.

“Schools all over the country can look to today’s honorees as models for creating a healthier learning environment while lowering energy bills and preparing students for success in the 21st century economy. The schools and districts being honored today are taking smart, innovative steps to reduce environmental impacts and teach students the kinds of sustainable practices that they can carry with them into their homes and future careers,” Boots said of OPS and other honorees in a press release.

In specific schools, in particular elementary schools, even more measures are being taken for the environment and for public health.

Many schools have a before-school walking club that encourages physical activity for both students and staff. Community gardens are also being implemented at more schools in order to teach young children where the food they eat actually comes from and how it is produced.

Overall, the district has saved around $2.7 million in the past four years since the integration of the Energy Action Plan.