photo courtesy of walden-school.org
photo courtesy of walden-school.org

Bowling Club: “fun activity that anyone can do”

Bowling is an intriguing and unique activity that can be practiced by almost anyone. Bowling club has been a visible part of the clubs and activities spread at Central since the sport gained popularity in the United States during the 1960’s and 1970’s. This year the school’s bowling team will return for the fifth consecutive year. It is supervised by math teacher and avid bowler James Jordan.

After he began teaching at Central, Jordan took interest in reforming the bowling club and after interest from students grew the club was restarted. Prior to Jordan assembling the team, bowling club had been organized by parents and students but had never solidified. After Jordan reformed the club five years ago, interest steadily grew and the club has been able to field a team for the last five years. Since the reformation, Central has been able to produce a team that typically consists of somewhere between five to ten people. Jordan said “This year I know I have six guys returning. There seems to be a decent amount of interest, but with the traveling and expenses a lot of kids lose interest, or are just unable to make the commitment”.

In past seasons the team had practiced at West Lanes, however, this year the team will switch to Maplewood Lanes. Although Maplewood Lanes is farther away from Central, ultimately it worked better for the team. Practices include three rounds of bowling during which Jordan and other coaches work with the students to give instruction on technique and help with marks which are used to improve aim. Although, sometimes time consuming the practice is intended to improve upon and sharpen the bowlers’ skills.

Competition for students is most frequently done on Mondays at Mockingbird Lanes for five weeks and then Leopard Lanes for five weeks. Central competes alongside students from other local high schools such as Bellevue West, Bellevue East, Burke, Skutt, Marian, Gross and Milliard North among other schools. Based on scores from previous years, Central will be a serious competitor for state with the biggest competition being Northwest. The Omaha Metro High School League runs from mid-November to mid-February. Students have to wear matching shirts and can wear pants or jeans but are unable wear shorts.

Students competing for the bowling club will be required to pay for expenses which can have a wide range. However, the minimum required for interested bowlers is 50 dollars to enter league play and another 18 to 20 dollars yearly to be sanctioned. Bowlers being sanctioned simply means they are ready for competition.

However, opportunities outside of the regular league play are made available to the bowlers. Weekend leagues are a great opportunity for bowlers who want to bowl at the next level and attract attention to receive scholarships and other opportunities outside of school. Many of the bowling team’ take these opportunities and make a 15 dollar investment in the hopes of receiving scholarship money or other opportunities outside of Central’s bowling team. Tournaments usually take place around the Omaha metro area but are certainly not limited to just the metro area and can occasionally take place outside of the state.

Jordan and the team are optimistic about their chances this season. Evan Bauer, Devonte Carr, and Zachary Hangman are a few of the bowling teams six or seven returning players that will have a large impact on the schools hopes to be the best team in state. Sophomore bowler Evan Bauer has bowled since he was young and had never considered bowling competitively until a friend recommended that he join bowling club. Since joining he has thoroughly enjoyed his experience, Bauer said “the best part about being in bowling club is probably just the experience of meeting new people”. The family-like atmosphere is part of the reason the bowling club is one thing that has helped bring the team together.

However, bowling club is something that does not end when students graduate, “One other thing I think is cool is that one of the members of the team last year is coming back to help coach the team this year” Bauer said. Bowling does have some have drawbacks but Bauer believes that ultimately the great experiences in bowling club outweigh the drawbacks, “one thing that can be tough is being committed to the club and having to go to practice every week and try to maintain high scores” Bauer said.

Jordan and the Bowling club are looking forward to another successful season and have every intention of competing for state. Jordan was adamant in encouraging any interested parties to join bowling club. Jordan said “Bowling is a fun activity that anyone can do. It provides another opportunity for friends to hangout and be active in a different environment.”

$975
$1500