Is Marching Band a sport?

February 27, 2015

When the average person thinks about the term ‘sport’, they will think about football, wrestling, baseball etc. Why is marching band any different? The dictionary defines a sport as “an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.” According to that description, marching band should technically be considered a sport.

As like football and several other sports, there is a high school league, a college league and a national major league association. You are to stretch before marching band, practice, and also have competitive exhibitions.

All sports have a certain ‘season’ that they’re played in. Football takes place in fall and winter, track takes place in spring and summer and marching band takes place in fall, spring, summer and fall. Drum line’s typically practice all year round.

The difficulty is also equal to other sports. In marching band, participants have to hold a 20-40 pound instrument. In addition, they must walk and run in a precise way and keep time, maneuver around more than 100 other people and play your music correctly.

During competitions and practices, band members can’t run into anyone or anything else. There are also at least five judges evaluating every move you make and more than three judges watching you from other positions. People in marching band have to make several formations and complete everything in 10-15 minutes.

The difficulty is equal to any competitive sport. It is a physical activity as much as it is a mental one. During season, you have to memorize at least 100 different spots and go to them in a specified order, amount of time and amount of steps.

Most sports have specified practice times as well as camps to understand the game and routine. During the summer, highly competitive teams have camps that last more than eight hours straight. Even more relaxed bands practice for about six hours a day.

Marching bands also practice in all sorts of weather considering it’s hard to practice marching anywhere else that isn’t a football field. You can practice on 100 degree days and also below 40 temperatures. People are known to pass out from heat exhaustion and dehydration.

Another equally important part of band is color guard. Guard practices even more vigorously than band does to execute every dance, toss and move perfectly.  They must have upper body strength while carrying the flags as well as be fit enough to mark spots and perform in a proficient way.

As a member, you must have skills just like with any other sport. If you are unable to march or accomplish the movements that you are given, there is no way you will be a successful member of the marching band.

Although many will argue, until you endure a marching season it’s very unlikely you’ll consider this activity a sport. According to the definition of a sport, marching band is able to be classified as a sport when looking at all the aspects of the activity.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500

• V

Varsity athleteNov 5, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Marching band is definitely a sport. They are in uniforms and carry around heavy instruments while doing a choreographed performance. Uniforms like all sports, weighted instruments just like regular weights, and choreograph like in dance. It’s a sport

Reply
  • J

Jane McGillSep 23, 2021 at 1:48 pm

That comment section was the craziest thing I’ve read in a while and I just finished a Ben Shapiro novel

Reply
  • P

Parker BrooksJul 28, 2021 at 5:29 pm

Marching band definitely is a sport. I’m only 11 but my older sister is in marching band and she comes home exhausted and sweating after practice. Also, I dunno how this argument has been going on for 2015. There is a simple answer: MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply
  • K

katieeMar 5, 2021 at 8:44 pm

Marching band what is marching band it is a opportunity for kids that may not fit the athletic categories to play a sport that they love but people say marching band is not a sport Well the definition of sport is an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature well what does marching band not fit it requires skill marching band members learn how to play an instrument and march will staying in time and they have dance features they have to learn again physical they march on a field for five to seven minutes will holding a instrument and blowing air thru it a competitive nature they say they have competitions they have nationals and rules they have to follow or they get points deducted from there score but unlike other sports they don’t have members sitting on the bench waiting to fill in they don’t get timeouts now you might be thinking it’s only seven minutes but if they get injured they don’t get to replace them they have to keep going there practices most of the time are eight hours long usually they work through rain or shine summer through winter they have to perfect there show learn there music they learn there drill they learn how to march in time but most of all they have teamwork they work together to learn it and they don’t give up on one another because they cant get instead of getting rid of them they just help them they stand by them and help them learn they stick together they become a family marching band is not only a sport but a family

i”m and yes i realize there is no punctuation sorry but it more like a rant so

Reply
  • P

perc kidOct 20, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Might not be as long-term physically taxing as other sports (i.e. you probably won’t break a leg doing drill while in football it’s more likely), but I think it’s definitely *a* sport. I mean, we practice every day for like 7 hours. The band practices their drill. They run, walk, bump into each other, and even duck onto the ground with their 40 lb sousaphone or their 10 lb trombone. The color guard throws flags AND rifles AND other props like 5 feet above themselves and have to sometimes catch said props perfectly or they’ll either hit themselves in the face, or stumble and knock other marchers out of place. The drumline marches with bases attached to harnesses they must wear for the whole show. They won’t be able to just take off their bases and adjust their harness if its uncomfortable during a competition. The front ensemble has about 3-5 minutes to set up their equipment onto the field, since the shows are usually about 10 minutes long and we generally only get 15 minutes to perform in all. Try pushing an 80 lb vibraphone onto the 50 yard line in 30 seconds just so you can get the 300 lb marimba on time next. Aside the definition of a sport, everyone I know in marching band are the hardest working people I’ve ever met. We work so much just to make it to one of the 3-4 competitions each season. You might not break a leg, but you’ll mature physically and mentally if you put enough effort in. (We entertain, we compete, and we grow & learn. That, to me, is what a sport really is.)

Reply
    • E

Enna LucasOct 25, 2021 at 7:31 am

I agree with you, as a member of my school’s color guard I know how hard it is. We have practice in summer for about 10 hours once you take the breaks and meal times out of it. We are at the high school level and have as young as 7th graders in our band. We compete against the top bands in our area and drive hours to go to competitions every weekend. We have to be able to perform even if our snare drummers drop their sticks because it is raining or if the instruments get wet. I spend about about 15 hours a week just at band practice. This doesn’t include my own time at home or competitions. We also have to be able to perform in any conditions and have perfection every time. We are also expected to have the ability to do every run with enthiusiam and make it better. And then you tell me marching band is just walking with an instrument, which you couldn’t even do that. So just stop telling us that we are not a sport and try it just foe one day and tell me that it’s a sport. Also these people woould say that video games are sports because they are a team, and are competing. But legit that is what we do exactly.

Reply
  • O

OwenSep 21, 2020 at 1:34 pm

Why does it matter if its a sport or not? Its an activity that people love doing because it makes them feel proud and happy. If band is or isnt a sport that doesnt change anything at all, its still the same activity that it was before it was considered a sport or not. Theres no reason to argue over something so arbitrary. Just be happy, theres enough shit in this world currently that should be worried about. In conclusion, to me, it doesnt matter if marching band is a sport, I march because it is fun and it makes me happy. Same reason most people participate in other activities.

Reply
  • K

keithJul 7, 2020 at 10:32 am

Marching band is a sport and we do not just run around with 10 pound flutes we have to go to certain spots that are put down on a coordinate sheet and w spend at least 60 hours to perfect those movements. Now about that 10 pound flute part, i’m in marching band and i’m on the marching band is a sport side and well, i play sousaphone (for you uneducated non band kids its a marching tuba.) which weighs 50 pounds. yes you read that right 50 pounds. if you do not thing marching band is a sport, then try jazz running with a sousaphone, you will burn easily 1,000 calories.

Reply
  • T

T-DawgMay 29, 2020 at 12:50 pm

I am currently on the varsity track team as a sophomore training to run a sub 4:30 mile, I grew up playing baseball, soccer, football, and basketball, my aunt play rugby on a national championship team, her best friend is on the us national team fort rugby, my uncle and grandpa pitched in college baseball, I can say I come from an athletic family. I still struggle going into my 3rd year of band, playing and instrument and marching, not walking. It is more physically demanding then anything I’ve ever done, if you say band isn’t a sport because its not head to head, what do you call shoot put or dead lifts in the Olympics , it is most definitely a sport and definitely extremely hard, show up to your local marching band band camp for a week then talk to me.

Reply
  • A

Aliyah JohnsonApr 13, 2020 at 3:42 pm

still not enough.
    https://youtu.be/oWtmUWqECzQ

Reply
  • A

Aliyah JohnsonApr 13, 2020 at 2:57 pm

that is the youtube link to the video of us.

Reply
  • A

Anonymous Freshman marching band Flute player (Aliyah Johnson)Apr 13, 2020 at 2:56 pm

INTRODUCING THE MERRILLVILLE BAND OF PIRATES(BOP)

https://youtu.be/cC5h21KxNqE

Reply
  • A

Anonymous Freshman marching band Flute player (Aliyah Johnson)Apr 13, 2020 at 2:35 pm

Oh and also y’all are going to be going to disneyland i believe your sophomore or junior year of Merrillville High School(the school I go to). You will also have parades and giong to the Thanksgiving Parade in Downtown Chicago( YOU MIGHT WANNA DRESS WITH 2-3 LAYERS OF CLOTHING CUZ IT’S COLD AS HELL) sorry for the language but that was the worst/best time if my life. But anyway, you have to practice for concerts and ISSMA. We have Jazz Band if you are interested and Drumline if you want to join. You CAN play a different instrument BUT you have to let Danielson know first before you change.(oh and Danielson is the name of the band director if your asking) But yeah those are a few of the things you HAVE to do when you join Marching Band.

Reply
  • A

Anonymous Freshman marching band Flute player (Aliyah Johnson)Apr 13, 2020 at 12:45 pm

I honestly think that Marching Band IS a sport because we do everything we can to get ready for competitions, football games, basketball games, ect. and we risk our lives out there practicing in the scorching heat. We have people FAINTING because it is so hot. With my band if we don’t do the sets right then that gets time taken away from our water breaks. For example the band teacher tells us we have 20 minutes to get water and get back on the field. we mess things up and people are talking when we are supposed to be doing sets or drills. The band teacher takes 10 minutes away from your water break (if it takes 10 minutes for you to get quiet) so on and so forth. So I do think that marching band is a sport. But don’t just take it from a freshman 9th grader that is in marching band though.(trust me i know the pain of marching band cuz I got a bad suntan being out in the sun for so long)

Reply
  • B

Baritone Sax PlayerMar 10, 2020 at 9:01 am

Yes, I agree with The Register that Marching Band is a sport. Many people that haven´t been in my school´s marching band don´t understand that Marching Band is a sport because of everything we do that matches a sport´s definition. Talking about Orchestra people here.

Reply
  • D

dance nerdMar 4, 2020 at 11:17 am

Band is not a sport point blank period .

Reply
  • A

AlanFeb 24, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Wait hold up you guys get water breaks?

Reply
  • M

MArchinG_GeekFeb 19, 2020 at 8:15 am

Ok so why yall still mad LMAO yall need to calm down this is gettin out of hand.Some people have many different view points. And yea , as a long time percussionist I can truthfully say it does take a lot of conditionimg and hardwork to be able to produce a superior rating on a marchimg show. HECK last year we got grand champon because of our hard work! I FLIPPIN PASSED OUT BECAUSE OF HEAT EXAUSTION! But Idon’t think that the people that say marching band shouldnt be a sport know all the stuff we do to be in shape andput together a marching show. The only way they could ever be valid in an arguement is if they did research and saw how much work and physical conditioning we do.So please do your research before you make the assumption that band isnt a sport, And people who beleive it is please respect thier opinions,i mean, they must REALLY care abt us if they put this much time into “proving”that band isnt a sport:)

Reply
  • G

GornFeb 16, 2020 at 9:27 pm

This is honestly hilarious. I’d probably say that it’s different than a sport, but I’d never say that means it should be respected less than one. It’s absolutely extremely athletic though.

Reply
  • H

haleyFeb 13, 2020 at 9:50 am

i am in marching band and I think it IS a sport because . . . . . the trumpet section lead has more muscle than the best football player. (also I almost pasted out once)

Reply
  • P

PIT_MASTER_PERCUSSIONFeb 12, 2020 at 11:40 am

OK, this is gettin a little silly.TOO SILLY.I mean this debate on this sight has been going on for 4+ years,GEEZ! But as a long time band member i can say that both view points need to elaborate more,and here is why. Marching band can be considered a sport during marching season because we do conditioning(like sports),we do 7+ hours of practice(like sports),We even some times have to spend our summers conditioning for the marching,the practices, and the competitions once everyone is physically and mentally prepared.we also have competitions were we go against different bands.And the amount of physical activity and conditioning along with also playing your instrument and memorizing your music correctly is a lot of work and all of it is worth it when you get the final result at competitions.Now, for the reason its not considered a sport is because people always refer to concert season.Yeah,that period of time where we use our best ability to play our pieces and sound the best at competitions.When you say band is a sport they usually think “how can that be, all they do is sit there and play the instruments” they say this because they don’t really know the difference between concert and marching band.Its shown to the public as and orchestra type deal that dosent use physical activity. so next time you start arguing please remeber witch type of band your arguing about and if they don’t know educate them on the different types of band so the fight ends and there is no disagreement.:)

Reply
  • C

congaFeb 11, 2020 at 11:01 am

i love march band its a sport

Reply
  • B

Blyat ☭Feb 11, 2020 at 11:00 am

Epstein didn’t kill himself

Reply
  • E

EtherFeb 10, 2020 at 7:46 am

AND ANOTHER THING!
    The football team gets far too many water breaks! We stand out in the sun and end up dried snack at the end of the day. I’m so unevenly tanned it is ridiculous! “ThE fOoTbAlL TeAm pRaCticEs In aLl KiNds oF WeAtHeR” MY FOOT! So do we! The woodwinds and the pit are allowed to put away their instruments but the woodwinds and the brass still practice if its raining! We practice even if there’s a bit of lightning. If it gets really bad we go inside AND CONTINUE TO MARCH INDOORS EVEN IF THERES NOT ENOUGH SPACE!!! THE FOOTBALL O SOCCER TEAM OR FIELD HOCKEY OR TRACK TEAM DOESNT DO THAT!!! SO WHY ARE WE CONSIDERED WIMPY AND NOT A SPORT!!!!!!!!!

sincerely,
    a now exceedingly pissed off marching student

Reply
  • E

EtherFeb 10, 2020 at 7:40 am

If you will pardon my immaturity, my classmates (males) said that marching band isn’t a sport because if going by the dictionary definition so is beating your meat (per se my apologies) It is really annoying and I can’t explain it to them well enough the amount of hard work we go into for marching band. We submit a physical and I’m so annoyed that no one recognises us as a sport. We work out and carry heavy equipment. Our football team relaxes more and practices less than we do. Yet they are the most glorified sport not only at my school but in the nation. It is most distressing, if I’m being compleatly honest, that we are forced to support the football teams. They should be forced to come and cheer us on at our compeitetions. At least one. It would be nice to be appreciated every now and then. Or at least nice for people to recongnise us for the sport we are. We compeate, we work out, and stretch before hand. We use all the muscle groups yet for som ereason we are doted on a nd opressed for speaking up about our acheivements. Sorry for the rant.

sincerly,
    a very pissed off marching student

Reply
  • C

ClayJan 28, 2020 at 4:28 pm

Okay I play clarinet and let me tell you we have 9-9 practices in the summer. and it is freaking scorching. you memorize 100+ Sheets of music and directions. For marching band members i’m talking about dots. Marching band in every way is a sport. look up sport in a dictionary it says “an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.” marching band is exactly that. so do some more research before you complain again. Also try jazz running will playing 480 beats per minute. and still keeping your upper body in the same position for 10+ minutes.

Reply
  • E

Emma CarterJan 21, 2020 at 11:15 am

Marching band is a sport because we have to got to school in summer to practice marching and how to march the right way. Then we have to stay at the football field in the freezing cold to practice the right movements.And the football players have to do all those things too. ( Accept they don’t to all of the marching) but hey have to stay up and practice playing, an do do the band kids!

SO HA! MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply
  • J

juliaDec 16, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Marching band is a sport, we work just as hard as those kids who play badminton soccer football and hockey. We actually work harder then some.
    Marching band is a physical and mental sport and we deserve recognition.

Reply
  • A

annoymosDec 4, 2019 at 9:10 am

flutes don’t weigh 10 pounds the average flute weighs 1.5 lbs. Also, band is NOT a sport therefore you need to stop arguing about this and the people that are saying it is a sport are the reason everyone hates band kids.

Reply
  • U

Uh oh StinkyNov 26, 2019 at 6:55 pm

If I had to be totally honest baseball is pretty cool.

Reply
  • T

Taylor SheleyNov 20, 2019 at 12:33 pm

I think marching band is definitely a sport. I’m only 13, but watching my sister and the rest of the marching band running, marching, with backs straight and tall for hours (3-9) and practicing in Hot weather, Just proves my point. There is a scoring point system, and there are competitions. It is everything a sport is, but it just doesn’t have a ball.

Reply
  • S

SAXOFAMNov 5, 2019 at 10:30 am

It is a very competitive sport. you burn 700 calories in an 11-minute run meanwhile football players burn 550 calories for the entire football game.

Reply
  • S

SAXOFAMNov 5, 2019 at 10:29 am

When the topic of marching band is brought up, many students assume how “easy” it is to go out on a field and play several songs that have to be memorized to near perfection. If marching band is not considered a sport, then ask yourself this: can you march 12 plus miles, while staying aligned with your rank and file (rows and columns)? Can you make sure your marching is coordinated with everyone else’s in the band? Can you maintain your sharp visuals, or play an instrument that could possibly weigh up to 40 pounds while marching? According to the Oxford Dictionary, a sport is defined as “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” But the question still remains, is marching band a sport?

It is widely assumed that marching band is just a performing art; many do not see the countless hours of hard work band members do every day. Recently, LAUSD hosted its 43rd All City District Honor Band (All City), in which over 300 students dedicated not only their Saturdays in October but also their winter vacation in December and January. The participants practice endlessly just to perform at the Disneyland Magic Music Days Parade, Bandfest, the 127th Tournament of Roses Parade and the Martin Luther King Jr. Parade. After having sheet music for as little as five weeks with songs packed to the page, the band members were required to have the six songs memorized.

Along with the music memorization, these students condition themselves to march at high step (which is marching with your feet high at a 90-degree angle while having your feet pointed down) uphill, downhill and along jagged streets. Having six band members in the entire school of Marquez to try out for All-City but then having only MaryJane Navarro (HPIAM), Aldo Sierra (HPIAM), Salvador Cortes (HPIAM) and Gabrielle Martinez (LIBRA) actually fulfilling and committing to all of the rigorous work.

It is a very competitive sport you burn 700 calories in an 11-minute run meanwhile football players burn 550 calories for the entire football game.

Reply
  • T

themarchingsaxophonistNov 4, 2019 at 12:34 pm

i live in Wyoming where you have to practice 6-8 pm in the freezing cold your horn freezes up and try back marching in a circle where you can’t look where you are going and when your instrument keys freeze and you touch them it will damage the pads and it costs 300 to 400 bucks to replace

Reply
  • T

Teresa AllenNov 4, 2019 at 10:35 am

I am in marching band and i am constantly arguing if marching band is a sport.I think it is. It takes so much mental and pysical strength to be in marching band.

Reply
  • D

drum major pirateOct 31, 2019 at 1:01 am

College alto sax, thank you for that comment. That was well-written and respectful, and I feel like I agree with many of the arguments you wrote.

I’m nearing the end of my fifth season in a high school competitive marching band, and I’ve experienced the good and bad days of a season. It can be tremendously straining, especially on the physical side. Props to y’all drumline members, those drums are huge and hard to carry. Also to pit members, I’ve moved your instruments before, and I respect you a lot.

The best argument I have heard on this topic, after reading this entire page of comments, is that marching band is judged in the same way as a fine art, and is a performance of more articulate skill than most sports. It is highly demanding, and is worked out to the finest detail, through every direction change and musical passage. The band works their hardest to match one another in sound, step, and character. These characteristics are more representative of an artistic activity, not simply a physical one. The events are highly competitive to determine which band has most successfully created a work of art and performed a powerful and skillful show. If you ask me whether a sport or a fine art is more fun, more competitive, or even more entertaining to watch, I would say the art every time. I’m quite satisfied with marching band being categorized as a fine art.

Additionally, I feel like it’s growing in intensity and innovation faster than most traditional sports. Marching band is a unique, evolving activity, and we shouldn’t cram it into any dictionary definition just because band members aren’t noticed as much as football stars. In marching band, every member is the star because without them, the sound and the drill couldn’t be the same. Everyone is starting varsity in marching band, which is a huge difference between band and sports, at least in high school. Every member is needed at rehearsal and everyone goes to comps. Often that means practice hours in the double digits every week for five months.

I love marching band and support you other band members that have commented, but I respectfully insist upon retaining its place as a fine art. It is different than sports in key ways, not lesser. It is a highly team-based activity and extremely vigorous, but is more artistic than merely physical. The effort required to play an instrument, march in time, maintain perfect posture, and think through everything is a very different one than required of a runner, football linebacker, or competitive swimmer.

Reply
  • K

keith mOct 30, 2019 at 9:49 am

marching band is a spot because, you have to have a skill to play an instrument, march, and maneuver around in my band approximately 215 people and still look good. you have to have a skill to do all that while playing the correct notes. and in order to join you have to have a physical done before you can join. playing a 20-40 pound instrument and march requires a lot of strength and a lot of physical activity. Marching band is more than just playing music holding and instrument and walking. in the band i’m in you have to march and roll your feet which normal people don’t roll their feet when they walk rolling your feet makes your leg muscles burn. when your marching and it doesn’t burn your not marching right.

Reply
  • M

maxOct 15, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Nah fam. I feel its memerization while power walking.

Reply
  • C

College alto saxOct 8, 2019 at 10:11 pm

I am a college marcher in my 7th season of band and my 3rd different marching band, and I do NOT agree that it is a sport. There’s a critical difference that’s being left out in this article: sports are judged by the outcome of a spontaneously-played strategy game or race, in which skill and physical prowess determine the direct outcome of the contest. Marching bands, however, meticulously rehearse and prepare a display of art that is judged by the accuracy and artistic merit of its performance. Yes, it involves physical exertion, but the goal is to produce the best work of art, not to physically overcome an obstacle or opponent using athletic force. That is why marching band is best categorized as a performing art, and cannot in good faith be grouped with or compared to football, baseball, track, etc. I believe that these “definitions” that everyone throws around are disingenuous and miss the actual essence of what marching band is.
    That being said, many of the arguments made in the article are moot. Particular time of year? Same with concert band. Competition? Many bands do not compete, none of mine have. Stretching beforehand? Two of my past bands didn’t stretch. Difficulty? This argument always stumps me; I love band, but I refuse to believe that it’s comparable to the skill in being the quarterback. Plus, many occupations such as trade jobs are harder and require more skill than either. The same goes for the temperature argument.
    But still, I think my first paragraph says enough. Just because an activity is physically exhaustive or judged in some way does not mean it’s a sport, and I don’t need marching band to be considered a sport. I love it as a performing art.

Reply
  • H

horns upOct 1, 2019 at 10:15 pm

now, most of this is all true. but marching band is not a sport. its better than a sport. no other sport has you training this hard in this heat. no other sport makes you carry something heavier than 10lbs on you (besides clothing). speaking of clothing, most band uniforms seem to be insulated, while normally ending up being a benefit in the winter, kills in the summer. no sport is a work of art. marching band is. marching band is a work of blood, sweat, and tears molded into a show harder than almost any play you can think of.

Reply
  • S

SousaSkillOct 1, 2019 at 8:28 am

All of you people using emojis to prove your point text too much, and that proves you shouldn’t be randomly flinging your opinion around people with actual brain cells. Also, you try carrying a 50 pound instrument on one shoulder for 8 hours a day, in 95 degree heat, during summer. Furthermore, READ THE ARTICLE THIS IS ON YOU STUPID F#@%S !

Reply
  • T

That one drummerSep 30, 2019 at 3:45 pm

I play bass five. That sh*t weighs easily 150 pounds. If you aren’t in shape, that thing will break your back. you don’t see many scrawny bass five players.

Reply
  • `

`joel sellersSep 30, 2019 at 10:08 am

also if were going by these standards is sexual intercourse a sport sense you practice to get better and also have lots of physical activity

Reply
  • `

`joel sellersSep 30, 2019 at 10:05 am

Also if were going by these standards does that mean battle of the books is a sport because you have to practice and go to competitions against other schools.

Reply
  • `

`joel sellersSep 30, 2019 at 9:53 am

nobody said a sport needs a ball btw. it just needs a point.

Reply
  • `

`joel sellersSep 30, 2019 at 9:44 am

This is gay. Band is not a sport nor will it ever be. This stuff about the temps are not true because you are not aloud to practice below 40 degrees or over 100 degrees. Not all of them carry heavy instruments and btw 20-40 lbs is not that heavy but anyway last time i checked flutes, clarinetes, trumpets, trombones, etc do not weigh that much. No body is going to practice for 7+ hours for something that is not a sport. Plus i have not met many band players that have upper body strength. i agree with this dude about the wii sports by the way. I would like to see someone change my mind.

Reply
  • J

jacksonSep 27, 2019 at 3:52 pm

You do know that most sports are not in Wii sports or Wii sports resort. Your argument does not work for this.

Reply
  • S

Sara SmithSep 25, 2019 at 7:58 pm

At my school sports like field hockey cant use turf because marching band (“a sport”) needs to use it. Its marching band they can practice on normal grass, but field hockey can’t. On the announcements marching band is announced and tennis more of a real sport isn’t.

Whether it is a real sport is debatable but it is definitely less of a sport than the other activities I talked about.

Reply
  • P

PopsSep 20, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Me big ? you small? I’m in band it fun

Reply
  • A

AlexanderSep 18, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Actually, there is a fixed point system, but unless you are a judge, won’t know it. Marching band is actually harder usually in terms of scoring, because it goes down to hundredths of points. The last competition our band participated in, we missed first by 005/100 of a point.

Reply
  • D

Dylan DohertySep 12, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Marching band is a sport, and front ensemble is harder than marching band

Reply
  • A

anonymousalpacaAug 16, 2019 at 2:22 am

Is marching band on Wii sports? Didn’t think so….

Reply
  • M

mattAug 1, 2019 at 2:06 pm

The problem with marching band is that, unlike literally all other sports, is that it doesn’t require an opponent to play properly. If that were the case then competitive speed painting would be a sport. It requires a lot of practice and can be physically exhausting. Marching band also lacks a fixed point system.

Reply
  • M

MeadowJun 24, 2019 at 9:48 am

bro,,, imagine not marching and then saying “its so easy” y’all trifling

Reply
  • S

SybilJun 22, 2019 at 6:41 pm

Wow. I march tenor sax. Not easy! You try holding your 15lb marching tenor without a neck strap and with only your thumb. I compete in Cross Country events and half marathons that aren’t as hard as band practice in July for 9 hours.

Reply
  • T

The Brassy BoyJun 13, 2019 at 5:57 pm

I am in marching band, and there is only one thing that I can disagree with is the fact that the weights of the instruments are off. A trumpet is about 2 pounds, a flute is about 1.5 pounds, a sousaphone is anywhere from 35-40 pounds, a tenor sax weighs about 6-9 pounds, a bari-sax weighs about 11-15, a tenor drum normally weighs 32 pounds but can exceed 55 (with a full kit); however most of the bass drum weights are accurate. Regardless of the weights of the instruments, it does not help that you are carrying them in a very precarious and precise position for 7-11 minutes straight. No matter what, it hurts.

Reply
  • B

BrooklynMay 7, 2019 at 1:15 pm

I am not in a marching band yet. But my brother was all throughout high school. I have taken votes between kids at my school to see their opinion and they all said no!
    That’s when I went on for an hour about how marching band meets all of the criteria of a sport and is very difficult as every other sport.
    Yes, I’ve gotten into fights for this. But I’m so happy to see this article. I’ve found a few more like this that I am showing to all my friends.
    I cannot wait to be in marching band when I get to high school.

Reply
  • T

Tim PervaMay 1, 2019 at 1:13 pm

I HATE BAND

Reply
  • R

random flute and piccoloApr 22, 2019 at 11:05 am

Hello, I am a random flute and piccolo player. I am here to tell you that if you are not in marching band you have no right to speak. Have you tried to march in those costumes? And going under trees is worse with those plumes. My brother was the supposed “Tuba God” when he went to this school. Now that he is in college he is the “Tuba legend.” My entire family was in marching band. My band teacher was in DCI. I went to a DCI show once. It was INTENSE. I know how marching band goes. I don’t expect any of you people to tell me that I am wrong.

Reply
  • T

ThatTubaGuyMar 25, 2019 at 9:20 am

I play tuba in a World Class DCI Drum and Bugle Corps and all I have to say is that your comment is invalid unless you try making it through a season.

Reply
  • A

anonymousMar 24, 2019 at 12:32 pm

“Awesome Percussion Gal”: Have you ever seen someone in marching band? They’re usually fit, talented people, who play several sports throughout the year. I know someone in a college band, and just to audition to get in, you have to be comfortable running at least four miles, have all the drill memorized, along with songs, and MARCH (not walk; there is a huge difference) at a very high tempo. During band, people passing out is a common thing. We are in 100° weather, backs perfectly straight, instruments that weigh anywhere between 3 and 50 lbs. held correctly, not breathing for periods of time with little to no water breaks, playing music correctly, marching correctly, staying on the correct foot in step, getting to the right spot down to the inch. Marching band is most definitely a sport. I also know the football coach (He also teaches), and he YELLS at the football players about showing us respect. I heard him telling his team, “If you guys worked HALF as hard as the (marching) band, we would win this whole thing,” and we have a great football team. We are from a small-er sized school and still go to states. I personally feel like the people who say that marching band is not a sport are either worthless airheads or they are jealous wannabes. There you have it.

Reply
  • A

AngelFeb 18, 2019 at 8:39 pm

I think that marching band is a sport because we do more than the football team…. I don’t care what criticism I get but I think that the marching band should get treated better than the football team because we do more and even though our team is losing we still go and cheer people up… I’m the only flute in my marching band the rest of my section is piccolos sooo… I think it is a sport

Reply
  • A

athlete and clarinetistFeb 11, 2019 at 1:11 pm

also I checked the weight of the instruments and the only instruments weighing over 30 lbs are some baritone saxes and sousaphones. most others weigh under 20 lbs

Reply
  • A

athlete and clarinetistFeb 11, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Ok Im in marching band and I play the clarinet as well as soccer and distance running. I know yall think marching band is hard but I play the clarinet and my boy it is ez as all get out. There is technique involved in the marching but it is minimal. Physical exertion, even holding an instrument, is much less than soccer, where you alternatively jog and sprint, with occasional walking, for 90 minutes with a 5 minute halftime. In soccer or distance running there is no stopping like there is in marching band, where you stop between songs and the time period is only 10-15 minutes. And there are fat kids in marching band. If there were fat kids in soccer or distance running they would get their a** whopped and served to them on a platter but they can get away with being fat in marching band. Also trumpet time if your marching band has more trophies then your football team then all that means is either your football team sucks or your marching band is really good, neither of which has any bearing on the status of marching band as a sport or a non-sport.

Reply
  • T

Trumpet03Jan 28, 2019 at 9:27 am

It’s funny how sometimes we get in fights during practice and scream, “THAT’S NOT WHERE MY DOT IS” or even “GET OFF MY FREAKING DOT BEFORE I BEAT YOU WITH MY TRUMPET” All while someone passes out from dehydration because it’s literally 95 degrees out and it’s rare to get a water break for a good 3 hours, even after you were told, “One more time then we’ll have a water break”

Reply
  • M

Marching FlutistDec 11, 2018 at 6:36 pm

With all due respect to all who have commented…. I feel, as a flute player, that I need to clarify a few things. Yes, I agree that flutes are a lightweight instrument; however, the difficulty with this instrument is that it is required to be parallel to the ground at all times and in a position that pleases the director, drum major and judges. This positioning of the shoulders is hard to maintain even for a minute. So please take into consideration that flutes are not as easy of an instrument to play as a few of you might have previously thought.

Reply
  • M

Marching FlutistDec 11, 2018 at 10:21 am

With all do respect to everyone who has commented, I feel that I must clarify something about playing the flute. Yes, I agree that it is a light instrument, however, it takes careful precision to correctly hold it in a position that satisfies the director, drum major, and judges. Please take into consideration that the flute must be held parallel to the ground at all times even when running and has to be held in a way that strains the shoulders and tires the arms. Adding onto this, flute players are sometimes looked down upon because they are thought to be easy to play. This is simply not the case. Flutes are not normally heard in performances but this isn’t because they aren’t trying. Rather, they are just a relatively quiet instrument when it comes to low notes and they will go up an octave if too much air is blown into it trying to be louder. This combined with other, louder instruments surrounding them they are hader to hear. It is sometimes hurtful when people don’t think your trying and think that you are unimportant. The point that is trying to be made is that even though the flute may seem like an easy instrument to play it is rather difficult and shouldn’t be used in the argument that band isn’t a sport with the use of light weight instruments like the flute.

Reply
  • T

TRUMPET TIMEDec 10, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Totally a sport if you say its not you’ve never tried it. Its a sport for smart, multitasking people who aren’t afraid to be called a geek. Our school band has more trophies that the football team.

Reply
  • B

BrysonOct 30, 2018 at 3:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=183&v=IuP8O-KYok0

That’s a drummer, think how much more air a wind player would need.

Reply
  • S

sam gamezOct 26, 2018 at 10:29 am

btw whoever said a tenor sax weighs 35 pounds. Go put it on a scale, it weighs 7lbs.

Reply
  • T

that one girl trombone playerOct 18, 2018 at 6:24 pm

OKAY, so here’s the deal on high school marching band kids. We spend hours and hours and hours working to perfect a show for performances that usually lasts about 10 minutes. EVERY performance is a big deal. If one person makes a mistake, it can mess up the ENTIRE band. If one football player makes a mistake, it can only mess up that play. If someone is confused on a move, or not quite sure where they’re supposed to go, the director can’t just call a timeout to help that one person figure out where they need to go. In actuality, that person just has to go to a general vicinity of where there dot (spot on the field) is. We get 10 minutes to show what we’ve spent hundreds of hours working on. We don’t get 4 quarters. 2 halves, or 9 innings, and if someone isn’t feeling well or get hurt, we can’t get “subbed” out and get replaced. After a performance, not one individual person will get our name in the newspaper, or get specially recognized for our outstanding performance. Band is a team activity and no one is recognized publicly for their performance that week. Everyone works hard for the team- for the group, knowing that they won’t be called out for a single recognition of good work. All the work is done for the group. Marching band is a sport. Have you tried playing and reading music while marching at a tempo of 172 bpm (beats per minute)? Also, we have really long (usually 7-9 hour) practices, with very little time for water breaks. We practice hours on end, and usually with larger instrument (except those 10 lb. flutes XD or a picc.) Especially those sousas. I, tbh, feel bad for them, in the heat and stuff and in the cotton uniforms that don’t make SENSE WHY WE HAVE TO WEAR THEM IN THE MIDDLE OF FREAKING SUMMMER I MEAN COME ON.

So yeah, my opinion is that marching band is a sport so yeah um ok

Reply
  • K

katherine vargasOct 17, 2018 at 12:44 pm

BAND IS NOT A SPORT!

Reply
  • M

MeganOct 1, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Marching band is 100% a sport. I have been in marching band, more specifically color guard for the past 5 years. I am not even including Winter guard. Marching band is just as difficult or even more than softball. We have this long week in the middle of August which is extremely hot with almost no water break. I would like someone else who never been in marching band or color guard, to try to memorize an 11 minute or longer show, props to move, count in time, move in time, smile, look pretty, spin an 6 foot flag in tempo and not hit yourself or others. Type in DCI and come back and tell me band isn’t a sport. Or type WGI and see if you can do that. You need upper body strength to get the saber, riffle, or flag in the air with the other guard members. We go to competitions, have several judges looking at us to see if we are in time and perfect. And we have to memorize were we are on the field which is called drill for you nonband kids. It is indeed a sport

Reply
  • A

Angel (Shik marching brave)Sep 28, 2018 at 7:48 am

Marhcing band is totally a sport becuase we have these long weeks called band camp. we practice all day and all night with hardly no breaks. but i think it is a sport because we practie as much as any other sport. But football, baseball, and softball don’t have judges looking at every move and/or every flag swing, or every note and calling you out for it. Just putting my opinion of marching band being a sport.

Reply
  • 8

8TH GRADE TRUMPETSep 3, 2018 at 1:11 am

*Our*

Reply
  • 8

8TH GRADE TRUMPETSep 3, 2018 at 1:10 am

Plus out 8TH GRADE band has been invited to attend a convention for band directors and private tutors from all over the entire state of Alabama in Birmingham. WE ARE THE ONLY MIDDLE SCHOOL BAND TO HAVE BEEN INVITED. And in the spring of 2020, the Fairhope highschool band will be marching in the D.C. cherry blossom festival parade. Beat that with some stupid football game. I dare you to try. Plus, you go to a football game and you look up in the stands,75% of the people there have a child or grandchild in band. And we are not there to cheer on the football team, because if we are, then why are the cheerleaders there? Just wonderin’…

Reply
  • 8

8TH GRADE TRUMPETSep 3, 2018 at 12:33 am

Ok, so, let me just point out a “few” things here. 1) Most of you spell like second graders, 2) Marching Band has competitions, and require skill, 3) Our High school had 10 people get dehydrated in one way or another during a week of band camp, 5) I’m only in 8th grade band and I have left my band period with my leg num or shaking, my lips completely numb, and a bruise from having held my instrument for so long, 6) You have never had to get in a car with a tuba player and bass clarinet after a day of band camp. We had to roll all the windows down, and it STILL smelled horrible. (I live in South Alabama. We get rain while its 80 degrees outside. I’m just saying), Plus, our Band Director makes you run at least 5 laps around the field if you screw up. Don’t tell me band is not a sport. Oh, and for those of you who stereotype and say that band is for nerds, geeks, intelligent people, weakling, etc., that is complete and utter bull shit. You haven’t met the retard that broke a tuba 4 times in 9 weeks, or the person who let all the BRAND NEW MELLOPHONES GET KICKED DOWN THE STANDS and we have 10 football players just in the 8th-grade band. Fight me, bitches. Marching Band is a sport.

Reply
  • H

hope raineyMay 8, 2018 at 9:41 pm

This is an incredible article and I agree that marching band is a sport. I am in the Pride of Broken arrow in Oklahoma. Go band!!

Reply
  • T

thatonetrumpetmarcherMay 6, 2018 at 9:52 am

Well with my school, they consider marching band a sport because it fits the definition for being a sport. They also said that since they classify it a sport, you can do marching band and not take physical education. With marching band, you do more physical and mental fitness than football. But it only all depends on what your band does. If your band just marches in a parade, then it doesn’t apply to you. If your band does more things like competition and field band, then you apply to it. People on the opposing side says that its not a sport because its not “cool” or “the uniforms look stupid.” Those are weak excuses for why marching band can’t be a sport. There are a lot of proven facts that say that marching band is considered a sport. With most schools, marching band gets more trophies than the football team. People also say that “well marching band doesn’t compete like we do.” Well that is true but you try and march, hold up a twenty pound instrument, and play music that you memorized without messing up because you have judges watching your every move. Not only do you have that, usually during competition, its really hot like 80 or 90 degrees. Not only is it hot, but you have to wear uniforms that are made for 40 below. Not just anyone can join marching band. You have to have the mental and physical capacity to do it.

Reply
  • M

Marching Band is a sportApr 27, 2018 at 8:46 am

Marching Band is a sport whoever says otherwise just needs to get in band and see. Also Marching Band is probably harder to do than Football.
    Also search Webb City Highschool Football and once you see our football team you’ll be supprised as to why i said that marching band is probably harder than football.

Reply
  • B

Band Nerd, Trumet Number AMar 19, 2018 at 12:08 pm

If band is not a sport, then neither is cheer. Band is harder than cheer so…

Reply
  • M

Multi - instramental guyMar 8, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Marching Band is most definitely a sport. For example, try marching at a 4:5 start in 4 counts a 160 b.p.m. ( or a tempo of 160). In addition, how about a 16:5 in 4 counts at 50 b.p.m. These steps take skill and talent. Try doing the back words and a transition of a 45* angle. How about music memorization.
    Memorizing music is complicated. For example, instance accidental like sharps(#) or flats(b. In addition, your fingerings for you instrument and notes on bass or treble clefts. These are three need to know things wile on the feild. Your music if vary important. Most of your score I. ISSMA competition depends on it.

Sport: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

Reply
  • W

wesFeb 2, 2018 at 2:49 pm

don’t forget about the drumline!!!!!!!

Reply
  • W

wesFeb 2, 2018 at 2:49 pm

don’t forget about the drumline

Reply
  • B

BrassKickerFeb 1, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Everyone has there own opinions on the topic: Is marching band a sport? According to the Oxford Dictionary, a sport is defined as “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” So with all due respect Marching Band is indeed a sport. We are there to support our teams at games but we also work very hard. We don’t just walk with instruments in our hand. We march with them which is not easy. You have to hold your instrument a certain way when you march, standing at attention, and playing. Football is a competitive sport but so is Marching Band and if not more competitive. We practice very hard for competition which takes a toll on us. Not in a bad way though. If we make a mistake, mess up our feet, mess up our dots, and many more points are reducted. The band the here’s back from the judges on what we did wrong so we can work better on it. Marching band takes a lot of skill, patience, and teamwork. We don’t just sit in the stands playing stand tunes we march during halftime for our show we are working hard on. Band is like another family where we support each other even when we have differences. Don’t mess with the band family <3. So Marching band is a sport.

Reply
  • F

Friend of Band PersonJan 23, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Ok, band is definitely a sport. I get exhausted just watching them practice, let alone even trying some of the stuff they do. Running around a field with heavy instruments challenges even some of the football players. Try again people 🙂

Reply
    • B

Band Nerd, Trumet Number AFeb 18, 2018 at 10:19 pm

Please. All of you who think the marching band is not a sport, please read this. Do you play in a marching band? Have you ever? If you have you would know how hard it is. This was my first year in my band and I couldn’t even play my instrument. So just like EVERY OTHER SPORT, there are NEWBIES. Then you have the ‘TEAM CAPTAIN’, the Drum Major. Then you have TEAMMATES, who, after band camp, become more of a family. Before every PRACTICE you WARM UP. You have ‘PLAYS’ you have to memorize (aka the songs and spots!). In marching band you COMPETE. If anything marching band is a super-sport. You have to move in perfect harmony, roll step in time, memorize the songs, learn the inside jokes (trumpets for the win), get along with the teammates, plus wear a super-hot uniform in 90 degree weather! I can’t even imagine being the mascot! I mean, I can’t even explain this! You have to be a fellow band nerd to understand. Those of you who go off what the dictionary says, look up the word ‘sport’. According to the Oxford Dictionary a sport is “An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.”. Think about this, is it an activity? Does it include physical exertion? Skill? Teams? Competitions? Entertainment for the crowd? Yes, Hell Yes, Heck Yeah, Yes (though I think it’s more of a family), Definitely Competitive, and yes quite amazing to watch. If you think it’s easy, I challenge you to a day in any band camp. If you get your perspective from the stands, and think it’s not a sport, please leave, join a band, go through 2 weeks of band camp in the hot f-ing summer and tell me it is not a sport. By the way, while the judges grade you, you need to carry 10 – 40 pound instruments at the perfect angles for about 10 min. at a performance or at practice like 2 hours with out stop. Don’t even get me started on color guard! While we play instruments, they twirl 20-30 pound flags in perfect unison, toss and catch it perfectly, have many flag changes, etc. If this isn’t hard enough, you also have to take into account this is a HIGH SCHOOL BAND I am talking about. DCI is probably harder. Plus, if you don’t hit your spot at the right time or place the whole picture is ruined! If 1 person is even 2 inches off it ruins the effect. Now this year, my band was pretty good. We had some band moms crying because we played well. But please, the band is a sport and my school recognizes this. At the SPORTS assembly we were also called onto the floor. So, for every person reading this. MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT!!!!!!!

Reply
  • B

BrassCapt.MelloJan 14, 2018 at 11:01 pm

If bowling is a sport, then marching band cannot possible be not considered a sport difficultly wise.

Reply
  • T

That one Trumpet nerdDec 6, 2017 at 10:14 am

Marching band IS a sport. We a lot if times get more trophies that the football team or baseball team. All of the people who say that it isn’t a sport, you should know your facts before you dis topics. Well, that is if you can learn. We compete against other bands FOR ENTERTAINMENT. The definition if sport is this.”an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” Thus, marching band is a sport. We marching and sometimes we have to Jazz Run across the field from how fast the tempo is. We compete AS A TEAM. FOR COMPETITIONS AND FOR ENTERTAINMENT. So anyone who would like to argue with me, email me. My email is [email protected]

Reply
  • 1

1st chair trumpetDec 6, 2017 at 9:40 am

It is a sport so go try it instead of sitting on a couch and getting fat. I joined trumpet this year. I used to play trombone, And let me tell you the new people suck at their intruments, But not me you wanna know why…………. Because I actually try. In sports you get trophies USALLY PRATISIPATION in marching band and compitition band you get goldin plaques. Not saying is real but it’s like olympic scoring. 1st GOLD 2nd SILVER and 3rd Bronze. So I don’t wanna hear anything about it. “Any one who thinks its a sport is stupid” This is what Alyvia said. you try marching in 100 to 20 degree weather plus practise almost every day. so you guys kneed to get off youre butts and get a life, because us in marching band have higher IQ’s And get better jobs and friends.

Reply
    • B

Band Nerd, Trumet Number AFeb 18, 2018 at 10:21 pm

Agreed

Reply
  • T

Tyler NolanNov 29, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I have completed a season of marching band, and it should be considered a sport… Also, don’t forget about baritones!

Reply
  • D

DB SupremeNov 14, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Honestly, the only argument is based upon the definition of the word “sport,” but what I don’t see people mentioning is that: the definition doesn’t matter if nobody respects it as that definition. There are plenty of words that have now been twisted and turned from their origins to their new modern-day meanings. Lingo has changed drastically and the perspectives have changed along with it. You can say that band is a sport, because it matches the definition in some dictionaries, but that isn’t going to change peoples’ minds at all. If you want some advice from someone who goes to high school and experiences all of these little jokes and arguments, it’s this: Just stop. You are feeding to the fire every time you get “triggered” (one of those words that have changed) over someone saying it isn’t a sport. Going on to one of these websites is just creating a bigger joke on the entire topic itself. I found myself laughing at some of the responses on here, and i’m sure there would be many more who would have the same response. Just stop getting so annoyed over something so trivial. It comes down to peoples’ opinions and guess what… You can’t make everyone think just like you. “BUT BAND IS A SPORT, BECAUSE WE WORK HARD.” Congrats people do a lot of things that could be considered sports, but it doesn’t matter, since nobody is going to magically change their mind and start believing what you believe, especially not because of a definition. In conclusion, stop adding to the fire and just deal with it. Arguing on here isn’t going to help your status.

Reply
  • C

Carter WardNov 10, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Marching band is a sport. Don’t believe me? read the article and all the comments saying it is a sport. they really outweigh the arguments that say it’s not

Reply
  • D

dctrtptOct 21, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Of course it’s a sport. Have you ever seen a World-Class Drum Corps International show? I can’t imagine any football players keeping up in a drum corps, lol. No chance 🙂
    Youtube a recent show from a corps like Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, or Bluecoats and tell me it’s not a sport. Look at them absolutely exhausted at the end. You’d be just plain ignorant, prideful, or crazy to say, “that is not a sport”.

For the record, I was a near world-class marathoner (until I got hurt) and spent a lot of time in marching music groups. So I understand both worlds. Marching music is a sport. It looks a hell of a lot easier than it actually is.
    I think you can say this about any sport: When you’re a spectator, it looks a lot easier than if you were actually out there DOING it. This thread is funny….everyone who’s actually done it says it is….and people who have NOT done it say it is not a sport.
    hmmmm 🙂

Reply
    • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 5:15 pm

In fact, one part of the marching band standards IS making it look easy.

Reply
  • A

ALTOgeekOct 18, 2017 at 10:43 am

How could it not be? Well last time I checked, this is a free country.
    I can call anything I want what I want and no one can stop me.
    (OMG freedom! Did she just say that. Wow yeah I did.)
    Here is the definition of a sport…
    An activity involving physical exertion(1) and skill(2) in which an individual or team(3) competes against another or others for entertainment.(4)
    Part 1:
    An activity involving physical exertion…
    Okay… Let’s think about this for just a minute… What do you do in Marching Band? Oh yeah, You MARCH… AKA Physical Exertion. Oh, And you have to lug around an instrument the whole time. Some heavier than others. Up to maybe even 50 lbs. (Which is more than football gear, I’m sure) “But marching band doesn’t require physical exertion” Wrong you are wrong. We’re outside conditioning and practicing even before the football team is. (Wow running? We do that too. People get physical related injuries in marching band just like in other sports because guess what it’s actually a lot of work. Sorry did you want to hold a 30 pound tuba and run across the football field?)
    Part 2:
    Requires Skill…
    Okay… Once more, Let’s think about this. In Marching Band you have to memorize your music, and your dots. You also have to know how to play your instrument. If you think being able to walk and text is skill then you should try Marching Band. You have to march, know where to go and when to go there, you have to know how to play an instrument, and know all of your music. That is skill…
    Part 3:
    In which an individual or team…
    Okay technically this could be anything. Whether you work alone or in a group. Marching band is your team. It’s made of different parts and without one part nothing would be right. If you didn’t have your legs you wouldn’t be able to walk. Without the clarinet section the tune just wouldn’t sound right and anyway… It’s a team effort. If someone doesn’t know their music or their spot on the field. The entire show could be affected. “It doesn’t really take that much skill to do marching band”Just stop. Memorizing 8-12 minutes of drill and music and executing it perfectly is extremely difficult.
    Part 4:
    Competes against another or others for entertainment…
    Okay, so in Marching Band you take trips to many places just so you can compete. You compete just like a softball team would. You go out and do your best and you either win or you lose. That’s how it works. You end up on top or bottom.
    Extra Stuff:
    -There are competitive marching bands out there that compete against other bands at each show. One of the best competitive marching band shows is the World Championship Finals, publicized each year on ESPN (a sports channel), just like other sports. I was in one of these competitive marching band DCMB.

Reply
    • B

Band Nerd, Trumet Number AFeb 18, 2018 at 10:26 pm

I completely agree. If you guys want to say it isn’t a sport please go join the nearest band! Thank you!

Reply
  • A

Awesome Percussion GalOct 11, 2017 at 11:49 am

You’re a football player aren’t you?

Reply
  • A

AnonSep 26, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Yeah I don’t think it’s a sport because it doesn’t involve “physical activities” people outside of band underestimate band kids. I do believe it’s a sport, a sport that requires concentration and memory and you also have to be fit bc not everyone can do band. Hell in my school we leave after baseball, football, and soccer we stay until 7 lol if you think doing a full run through of a show id like to see you try to play music march with proper technique and and remember sets cause I bet you’d look like a lost child out on that field.

Reply
  • H

Harry MillernSep 4, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Marching band is not a sport!! You guys are just saying it is a sport because you weren’t good enough to play real sports.

Reply
    • A

Awesome Percussion GalOct 11, 2017 at 11:50 am

You’re a football player aren’t you?

Reply
      • S

Summoner of Playable ReedsOct 23, 2017 at 8:04 pm

I have never agreed with someone so much in my life. Thank you, Awesome Percussion Gal.

Reply
      • T

That one Trumpet nerdDec 6, 2017 at 10:07 am

Really…. you think that were not good enough to play “real sports”? MARCHING BAND IS A REAL SPORT. jesus christ. This is getting me really pissed

Reply
    • B

Band Nerd, Trumet Number AFeb 18, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Not good enough to play real sports! My brother played football and he tried band as a snare and he said “Wow, this isn’t as easy as it looks!” So yeah football can steal the show! Wow… I play basketball and the only reason i can keep up is the upper body strength I’ve acquired from the band so please shut up and join a band

Reply
  • M

meme teamAug 31, 2017 at 1:58 pm

I’m in marching band and I wouldn’t consider it a sport. I’m not saying that it isn’t intense or anything, and I know that it fits the definition of a sport, but I would still call it an activity.

Reply
    • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Keep in mind a sport is a subcategory for an activity. Saying it is a sport still means it is an activity, just more physical and mental, with competitions and crowds, and takes a commitment.

Reply
  • T

Trumpet playerAug 7, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Read the link below, do what it says to do for marching band, THEN tell me if it’s a sport

http://www.livestrong.com/article/547127-how-to-get-in-shape-for-band-camp/

Reply
    • H

Harry MillernSep 4, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Just because you do something physically exhausting and stand out in the sun for thirteen hours with your big instruments doesn’t make it a sport. That’s just called working out. When your competition actually comes you do like a ten minute routine and walk. It is extremely technical, but when it comes down to it, it’s not very physical except carrying weight during the real thing.

Reply
      • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Read 5 other comments explaining why it is a sport, then talk. Also, it is NOT walking, and if it were, that would be a different story.

Reply
      • N

NoJul 23, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Have you considered the fact that while people are doing all of this they’re not breathing other than between phrases in the music

Reply
    • N

NdbsbhsbbsAug 31, 2018 at 11:32 am

Funny cause I do all of that everyday for my field hockey practice and I’m not complaining about it because I play an actual sport

Reply
  • A

AnonymousJun 17, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Imagine wearing a uniform made of wool woth a hat and gloves while marching in 30-100+°F weather. The most important parts were balance, posture, air control, memory, and trust in those around you. You are moving in time with the music, while playing a song you may or may not have memorized, and moving around to specific points on the field without hitting anyone else, never facing away from the front. I played a light instrument, I felt for those carrying drums, tubas, euphoniums, and trombones!
    We practice anywhere from 20-60 hours a week, memorizing 3-5 songs and 100+ chronological movements while moving with 20-100+ other people until we can perform to perfection, and then practice some more! We work to make sure our posture and movements are fluid so we can glide across the field without bumping into each other. Why glide? Because regular marching and stepping would disrupt our air movement, which in turn disrupts the pattern in our music, which makes us sound terrible. Try gliding backwards on the balls of your feet while not hitting other people, or showing when you step in a hole and twist an ankle (which happens more than you think).
    While not the most difficult, it is still a difficult sport. Try it sometime ? it is a bit hard, yet so worth it!

Reply
  • M

MeMay 30, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Yo, I do band and other sports and marching band is not equal. I’m for it being a sport but don’t tell me it is equal to other sports

Reply
  • C

Cool guy who knows what sports areMay 25, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Marching band is not a sport.

Reply
    • S

SeanMay 25, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Very true. The dictionary defines sport as, “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another for entertainment,”

So is cup stacking a sport? Or spelling bees? DECA? Youth and gov? Video gaming?

Reply
      • A

Awesome Percussion GalOct 25, 2017 at 11:48 am

Hope you know 1.) We have practices everyday and it 100% takes physical exertion to march on a field. You have no idea how it feels to backwards march across the whole field, meaning you have to tighten your knees, stand up straight, tight abs, squeeze your cheeks and you can’t bounce. That’s backwards marching for you. 2.) There are band competitions, where we march on the field to remember the places to go to make pictures and shapes. We also play a 4 movement song. (which is basically 4 songs plugged into one show for those of you who don’t know) 3.) Marching band isn’t like any of the activities you listed, therefore meaning that just because they may not sports doesn’t mean that marching band isn’t one either. Thank you and good day.

Reply
  • C

ChampayneMar 28, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Marching Band isn’t just about physical ability, although it is a huge part. It is also about memory, not only of the music, which one is not permitted to bring onto the field, but also the sets, or spots in which one is to stop to create the desired picture being viewed by the audience in the stands, the steps one has to take in order to get to their sets, and the location of the individuals around them. Marching Band is very stressful and difficult to do. You can believe what you will about it being or not being a sport, but it would be better for yourself and others to keep your opinions to yourself, unless you can argue in an acceptable manner. Obviously, it is an important and sensitive topic for most.

Reply
  • A

Anonymous TrumpetistMar 16, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Okay, I’d like to say marching band is a sport. Here’s a couple of reasons why: (1) this activity follows the definition of the word “sport,” as it says it is activity that requires physical achletic work in which competes, (2) the rehearsals (or so-called practices) are normally around 3 hours or more, depending on school days. Now with the day of a rehearsal without any school, it would normally be around 6-8 hours (and this is without camps and usually on school-weekends or short breaks), (3) the amount of work for a marching band member lasts through “endless” work during the rehearsals. In one rehearsal, a player has to go through stretches, exercises, and often running in the beginning. After the warm-up, they then have to go through warming up on their instrument, but the difficult part is what lies after warming-up, which is most of the long rehearsal. Carrying around a 5-40 pound instrument may not be seem to challenging, but adding on the rest is what makes it extremely hard. The music memorization, the strength (to carry the instrument and holding position), direction change, the musical AND visual tempo, the marching technique, the dynamic/volume of the player while playing music, and a few other minor things are what make things challenging.
    It doesn’t take someone that’s in band or not to not be able to tell the difference from what’s a sport or isn’t. It’s based on the knowledge from research OR experience from someone to have a right to argue or make a claim on something.
    **Side note: Don’t do this to try to be entitled or better than other people of certain kinds. Or even if it’s because you think that band is a nerdy thing, because there are and will be people who do both band and athletics. This doesn’t go to everyone, but just a general thought for the side note.

Reply
  • A

anonMar 2, 2017 at 10:21 am

Most people that say marching band isn’t a sport has done no research, and they will say it’s not a sport just because they don’t want to. One problem in today’s society is when people just think one way because everybody else thinks that way. Maybe do your own research, and think to yourself with an open mind before opening up your mouth about something you don’t know anything about.

Reply
  • C

cool personFeb 2, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I’m in marching band and believe it’s a sport because we practice hard and work for everything we do. Not every sport needs a ball. Marching band is hard come to percussion camp with me and you’ll say oh this is pretty easy but then pre-band camp and band camp are the worst. Try it. It’s harder than you think. Like dance is a sport it’s hard too. (I’m in marching band and I’m a dancer) Hello fellow pit members 😀

Reply
  • A

AnonNov 24, 2016 at 12:53 am

Marching band is technically a sport if the definition of sport is correct. It requires a ton of physical exertion, great amounts of skill, it entertains large crowds, and we compete in many competitions.

Reply
  • R

Rational ThinkerNov 19, 2016 at 8:46 pm

You see, if you REALLY think band doesn’t involve physical activity, you’d be wrong, my friend. Actually, music in the first place uses more brain activity than almost anything you do. So, technically, where that skill comes in, your brain is working a whole lot harder. Not to mention playing an instrument is TRULY challenging. No matter what instrument you play, it takes a whole lot more than just “blowing in an instrument.” You have to think about each individual note, step in time, and play the right things. You may think “well, tubas have oompahs all the time. How is that hard?” HAVE YOU SEEN SOME OF THE COLLEGE BANDS?! Take a look at Penn State University’s bands. The illusions they create with just people walking around with instruments is astounding. Now add the music (which for college level, it’s challenging). Playing an instrument, creating an illusion, and not running into each other is hard enough. And as said, you have to stretch and do all kinds of exercises for band in order to not pass out from heat exhaustion. Marching bands do heat acclamation all the time. It’s normal. Some practice in their uniforms to get used to the heat. Band is genuinely challenging AND is a sport. And the competitions?! They’re crazy! They look at every. single. aspect of what you do. So, really? It’s not a sport? Then how can you consider things like fishing a sport?

Reply
  • A

A Clarinet PlayerNov 10, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I would have to agree that marching bad IS, in fact, a sport. Many may say that there is no ball, and we may not be running back and forth, but we do get as much exercise as a regular basketball or football player, if not more. It is a highly complicated sport.

Reply
  • B

BandDadNov 5, 2016 at 10:28 pm

So Anon…cross country isn’t a sport? No ball is used, carrying nothing. Boxing also failed to qualify as a sport? They don’t bat or kick a ball, they wear gloves and throw punches.

Do yourself a favor, pick up a 3lb dumbell and walk up and down the football field for 3 hrs. That’s just for the beginners. When you are ready, haul a tuba and march for 8-10 hours and see how you feel. Most bands are out there in 95F+ heat for 8-10 hours during summer and have to endure 50F temp in the fall.

My son was 200lbs before joining the marching band. He’s 185lbs. All from 5 months of marching band “activities”.

Reply
  • C

cole hauptOct 24, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Marching band is not a fucking sport. The definition of a sport is an “activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” For all the fuckers arguing that this shit is a sport, look at this definitio

Reply
    • C

cool personNov 21, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Well marching band competes and goes against other bands so I don’t understand what you are saying. Marching band spends hours outside practicing and you need to take a physical to join marching band so I’m pretty sure it’s a sport and I’ve looked at the definition. Also you should watch your langue because no one wants to read your crappy grammar and spelling. BTW I’m in 8th grade and I know how to talk unlike you.

Reply
    • A

AnonNov 24, 2016 at 12:51 am

Hey doof, maybe you should go join marching band so you don’t look so stupid. It does require physical exertion, it includes A S*** TON of skill, we are in competitions repeatedly, and it entertains people.

Reply
    • C

Christian MartinezDec 22, 2016 at 3:05 am

So there are preparations for shows. For example people usually run miles every day before rehearsal to be able to not get as tired when performing their show. Also, there are championships in which band’s compete against other bands. People also watch the bands, and are entertained. There you go. All the requirements are met in my comments. Happy?

Reply
    • C

CougarJan 12, 2017 at 10:58 am

“To all the f’ers arguing this sh*t is a sport, look at this definito”. You said. First week of marching band camp, 10 hours a day for a month straight of nothing but what? Physical exert action and competitions ageinst other “teams” for a common goal and for entertainmeat. Marching band in fact matches every word in that defanition. So maybe your just the f’er who needs to go read that definito.

Reply
    • N

Not in marching bandJan 26, 2017 at 12:01 pm

They get more trophies in one competition than football does in an entire season.

Reply
      • D

DylanMay 11, 2017 at 2:00 pm

kids in little league can get more trophies in a year than MLB what is your point

Reply
    • N

NerdJan 31, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Band is not a sport. Marching band is a sport please don’t mix the two

Reply
      • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Thank you! Someone else who agrees that they are separate! To back up your point, the tone, dynamics, and tempo are all VERY different.

Reply
      • T

TimmyTrumpetDec 6, 2017 at 9:22 am

I was in marchin band and I think it is a sport

*SUB TO UNSPEAKABLE GAMING*

Reply
    • S

Someone With a ClueJan 31, 2017 at 11:09 pm

For all the imbeciles arguing that it’s not, look at the definition. Physical extortion, check. Skill (try playing a trumpet or clarinet without knowing what you’re doing. You’ll sound like hot shit), check. Competition, check. And entertainment, while it might not entertain mindless brutes such as yourself, there are some enlightened few who enjoy it.

Reply
    • S

SuperSmart GuyFeb 28, 2017 at 12:51 am

Well you just defeated the purpose of your argument, moving around is physical exertion and by the way you spelled definition wrong, how can we take criticism from you when you can’t spell out a fucking word, unless you can hold a 40 pound instrument and try marching around a football field for 6 hours with someone constantly yelling down your throat while wearing a uniform while trying to avoid flags, rifles, sabers, then make an argument. So calm down Eugene

Reply
    • A

anonMar 2, 2017 at 10:19 am

Okay? Now tell me how marching band does not fit into that category? All you did was state your opinion and back it up with a definition, and never tried to prove it. And it proves that you have done no research?

Reply
    • -

-_-May 25, 2017 at 3:04 pm

First off, if you’ve ever even seen a performance, then maybe you’ll be able to see past your huge ass ego and have an open mind. Marching band requires physical exertion in the sense of 5 hour practices consisting of learning and memorizing placement, marching in 85 to 100 degree weather, and being in near perfect shape. Marching band requires skill in the sense of knowing how to play your instrument, learning and memorizing music, marching and playing and remembering your music and spot. We compete at high school, college, national, international and world levels. So, the definition that you said for us “*******” to look at clearly states that marching band is definitely a sport. 🙂

Reply
    • M

MysteryTrumpetJun 15, 2017 at 10:15 am

So Cole, how would you like to spend a whole week from dawn till dusk in the middle of August running, stretching, exercising, and repeating movements over and over again in the hottest week of summer. Not only that, but also nearly every afternoon after school. We do all of this stuff for competitions that we have every Saturday in football stadiums during the fall. I recommend that you should try this sport.

Reply
    • B

BrianNov 3, 2017 at 3:14 pm

I play the sousa it is a 45-60 pound insturment that you have to keep on one shoulder for 4-5 hours on end thats just during competitions. practice is over 450 hours a season which is only 3-4 months and learning plus memerizing the music if you can even learn to play a tuba not even the Sousa then that will take years then go to almost 5 days of band camp in 100+ degee heat with a sousa on your shoulder and then you will know how we feel I also play on a double a hockey team and compete in fencing and archery and band without marching is hard enough but marching band is the hardest thing I have ever done

Reply
      • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 4:55 pm

This would have been better with periods. I can hardly read it, but what I can read is spot on.

Reply
    • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Read the article. IT LITERALLY USES THE DEFINITION TO PROVE ITS POINT.

Reply
    • B

Band Nerd, Trumet Number AFeb 20, 2018 at 12:57 pm

How does band not apply to this definition??? We have physical exertation (halftime shows, practice, playing the instrument in general!) skill, (playing said instruments) teams (ummm… the whole freaking band!) competition (have you ever heard of DCI?) and entertainment? That last one is the whole point of the band

Reply
    • T

that one trumpetApr 16, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Umm excuse me but apparently you don’t know anything about marching band. We do compete with other bands and we also do halftime shows. We also work harder and longer than most other sports. We win more trophies than most sports too. I mean at my school, people go to football games to watch us play because we are better than the football team. Soo yeah point proven that marching band is a sport.

Reply
  • A

Actual sport playerOct 7, 2016 at 5:02 am

Band is not a sport it lacks no physical ability what so ever its for the people who cant make it in real sports 40 pounds is so freaking light Band kids are week and frale And only nerds Aka smart fat people are in it

Reply
    • C

crabtreeNov 17, 2016 at 7:43 pm

On that one you are wrong marching band whips you into shape and you can’t just throw anyone into a halftime show and expect them to do as well as the others

Reply
    • N

NahjaeDec 15, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I understand you, but I’m in marching band and track. I do both, which is very competitive. It has the potential of having physical exertion. I see and do it everyday of my life, which is very hard, so you shouldn’t say that marching band isn’t a sport. It’s a sport! If you don’t think it’s a sport, then you try and do it and see how it turns out for you.

Reply
    • M

MysteryTrumpetJan 6, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Try jazz running at 200 bpm an hour a day for 4 months straight. I’ll say we have quite many people who do ‘real’ sports, but it doesn’t matter. Excuse us but I think you actually should pay attention during football games at how hard it is to do it. I suggest you try it.

Reply
    • C

Cool dudeJan 17, 2017 at 8:30 am

Well, lets see. Ill take you seriously when you actually can spell

Reply
    • N

Not in marching bandJan 26, 2017 at 11:59 am

So your saying that we are “out of shape”. According to height and weight charts from doctors linebackers would also be considered “out of shape”. And if we’re band nerds then football players are football nerds and baseball players are baseball nerds and so on and so forth. So according to what you’re saying all of the “sports” that we consider “sports” aren’t actually sports. So technically all of the sports you say are sports aren’t.

Reply
    • A

AnonJan 26, 2017 at 9:13 pm

40 pounds may seem like nothing but then try moving at 200 beats per minute with 1 step per beat for 13 minutes straight. In uniforms that do you no favors in keeping you cool

Reply
    • R

RayJan 31, 2017 at 11:07 pm

“It’s lacks NO physical ability”? You’re obviously some jock with an IQ of 20. You say that all that all band kids are fat smart nerds, but have you ever seen a Drum Corps participant? They’d put whatever physical “prowess” you claim to have to shame. And you’re wrong, marching band isn’t for the “week and frale” (weak and frail, dumbass), it’s for those who would rather participate in an intellectual sport, than buffoon games such as football.

Reply
      • A

Anne OnymousOct 23, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Correction: It’s for people who wants the intellectual prowess one receives from participating in an academic sport and also want the physical exertion and training required and built from participating in some thing like football. Not only do people in marching band have to use and exercise all the same muscles used in pretty much every sport, they also have to exercise muscles that aren’t used in a majority of sports.

Reply
    • A

anonMar 2, 2017 at 10:16 am

So since I am skinny, I’ve never been in a marching band or drum corps before? Maybe try and do some research? Instead of making a stereotypical opinion.

Reply
    • A

Anonymous Guard MemberMar 16, 2017 at 1:39 pm

I am done

Reply
    • J

JoeApr 8, 2017 at 9:24 pm

I’m not disagreeing with the fact that marching band is not a sport. I am however disagreeing with the fact that only nerds, smart people, and weaklings do marching band. I do marching band and I’m also the best distance running in my school for both cross country and track…

Reply
    • D

Dumb people bother meMay 7, 2017 at 5:41 pm

This statement is obviously pulled out of nowhere because I’m a person in good shape and I’m in marching band, heck I’m more athletic than over 3/4 of my grade but I’m in marching band so that makes me weak*(you spelt incorrectly) and frail*(again) and not only am I weak and frail but then you try insulting smart people for being in band knowing what a sport is

Reply
    • I

I'm not even IN marching band.May 29, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Weak*
      frail*
      it’s*

Also, dude, most marching band members are actually really fit.
      Frail is near-opposite of fat.
      Learn what those words mean before you type, you seem 10 years old.

Reply
    • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 4:38 pm

This is petty, but “lacks no” is a double negative, which basically translates to “it has”.

Reply
    • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 4:41 pm

I’ll take your job and be judging what sport you play based on your comment. You can’t spell, call band kids fat and frail, and don’t understand the concept of a period. I think that you are a football player.

Reply
    • T

That one Trumpet nerdDec 6, 2017 at 10:03 am

Umm excuse me, your wrong! And you should probably check you spelling. You spell like a third grader.

Reply
    • T

TrumpetboyoMar 3, 2018 at 11:29 am

We practice during school and after school. We practice more than the football team. We have more frophies than all the other sports. We don’t have an off season, We practice all year round for one preformance that is less than 15 minutes. Right after our last show, we immediatly start working on our next show. And during that time we play music in a concert competing against other schools. Just like a sport does. And in the competitions, we cannot mess up. It’s not like football where you have 1-3 hours to preform in the game(depending if you play highschool, college, or NFL). We have less than 15 minutes to preform. And every second of it, there are about 10 judges watching you. Because if you aren’t perfect, you get points taken off. And just like football, we have highschool teams, college teams, and DCI teams. Go onto youtube and search dci and you’ll find some of the best examples of a profetional marching team.

Reply
      • T

TrumpetboyoMar 3, 2018 at 11:30 am

*professional*

Reply
    • F

FloydSep 2, 2018 at 1:22 pm

No physical ability… Lat time I checked some people on what you classify as a sport, such as football are less fit than most people in band. Also, just because you are big does not mean your fat.

Reply
  • A

anonOct 4, 2016 at 9:31 am

Marching band isnt a sport. It’s an activity. Many will argue my logic, but there’s no ball and you’re carrying an instrument. Band isn’t a sport and marching BAND isn’t either. It’s band, it’s an activity

Reply
    • ?

?????Oct 23, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Are you in marching band??

Reply
    • A

anonOct 26, 2016 at 2:13 pm

There are no balls in swimming, yet it is an Olympic sport, no balls is competitive cheer, no balls in cross country, etc. So if by saying marching band is not a sport because they don’t use balls, then neither are any of those!

Reply
      • C

crabtreeNov 16, 2016 at 6:17 pm

I have to agree at my schools every extracurricular activity gets funding except band and we are America’s original high school marching band. Fostoria high school marching band.

Reply
    • F

falseNov 1, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Understandable at a college or high school level but if you’ve ever watched a dci show that is for sure a sport imo

Reply
    • A

AnnoNov 2, 2016 at 11:03 am

Bro, you try Jazz RUNNING at 200 bpm with a Sousaphone. Then you can chat again…

Reply
    • R

Random Sousaphone PlayerNov 2, 2016 at 11:04 am

Reply
      • A

AlexNov 21, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I pray to that!!!

Reply
    • R

Random Sousaphone PlayerNov 2, 2016 at 11:07 am

Bro, you try Jazz RUNNING at 200 bpm with a Sousaphone. Try passing out from physical exertion after 3 hours of Repititions!

Reply
      • D

DHC SousaOct 8, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Ive done it and completely agree with you. It sucks when you are also a heavy set person like myself and you have to do it while trying to helpp four other new sousas at the same time without getting called out.

Reply
    • A

AronNov 3, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Is swimming a sport? How about track? Ultimate Frisbee? Archery? or are you just too close minded and ignorant to think outside the box?

Reply
    • D

DontworryNov 6, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Wrestling doesn’t have a ball, swimming doesn’t have a ball, track and cross country don’t have a ball, so either all those are just clubs too and you’re an idiot, or marching band is a sport and you can stop pretending it’s not.

Reply
    • C

cool personNov 17, 2016 at 11:54 am

A ball is not a requirement in a sport just saying

Reply
    • A

Anonymous flute playerJan 26, 2017 at 11:54 am

Have you ever tried it? I play volleyball, basketball, and do marching band. I think that I can safely say that MARCHING BAND is more physically and mentally taxing than volleyball and basketball. So until you’ve tried it I suggest you keep your mouth shut

Reply
    • Q

QuarterbackBrianFeb 13, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Does hockey have a ball? No. Does swim and dive have a ball? No. Does wrestling have a ball? No. Does track have a ball? No. Are they all considered sports? Yes.

Reply
    • A

Anonymous Guard MemberMar 16, 2017 at 1:38 pm

A ball isn’t needed to be classified as a sport. Cheerleaders have to compete a 5 minute show to be counted as a sport but no one has the decency to count marching band as a sport. unbelieveable

Reply
    • J

JacobMar 28, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Your argument is stupid. just looking at the replies you got, need I say more? lol

Reply
    • A

Anonymous flute, trumpet, clarinet, and trombone player - AND GUARD MEMBERMay 29, 2017 at 4:05 pm

So what you’re saying is that Track (excluding shotput), Cross Country, Swimming, Cheerleading, Wrestling, Boxing, MMA, and Archery aren’t sports? Oh, and before you say anything, eSports aren’t actually sports, either, are they? Not according to you, at least.

Reply
    • A

Anne OnymousOct 23, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Here is a non-exhaustive list of sports that don’t use balls:
      Swimming, cross country, track and field, badminton, ice hockey, diving, curling, boxing, MMA, etc.
      By the logic and reasons you have presented “DHC Sousa,” these are not sports. If the only way to determine if something was a sport was whether or not it used a ball, marbles would be a sport, and hockey would not. Please use your logic before spouting uneducated and opinionated “facts.”

Reply
    • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 4:32 pm

You didn’t capitalize the right part. It is MARCHING band. Look at other comments to find out about rollstep, 22.5 inches, instruments, and temperatures.

Reply
    • F

FloydSep 2, 2018 at 1:19 pm

No ball eh. Is that really your argument. Come on! In the Olympics there is high diving, swimming, and track. None of these require a ball. Secondly, go to one practice, just one and you will soon agree that marching band is more than walking and blowing into a horn.

Reply
  • A

A personSep 20, 2016 at 8:18 pm

The only people in the comments who are saying it’s a sport are marching band members. No reason except for that they are marching band members.

Reply
    • F

Fight meJan 26, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Reply
      • C

clarinetFeb 15, 2017 at 10:32 am

gilbert band is out there for 12 hours and it is a sport. know what a sport is before u insult someone

Reply
      • A

AlexMar 2, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I do agree on what you do say about that.

Reply
      • D

David TaylorAug 7, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Do you get punched in the face on the field? Boxing is one of the oldest sports in the world. I am not saying that you have no talent and don’t have to work hard but it’s two different world between contact/combat sports

Reply
        • A

Anne OnymousOct 23, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Although you don’t get punched in the face in marching band, literally anything from a flag to a gun to a sabre can hit you in the face at any point during a performance or practice in marching band. Of course the hit will not do quite as much damage as an accurate punch to a nerve, it is still quite dangerous and painful. I’m not saying it would be as lethal or dangerous as a combat sport injury, I’m just saying that injuries can and will happen in marching band.

Reply
      • A

Anonymous ClarinetistOct 23, 2017 at 7:14 pm

To add to “Fight me’s” argument, after you do all that, try to do so while keeping your upper body facing the stands and while keeping perfect posture. Then do so while roll stepping, making sure all your steps take the exact same amount of time, keeping your shoulders steady and unmoving (duck on the water), and getting to a specific point in a set amount of time and steps. Once you have accomplished this, you are almost ready to jazz run.

Reply
    • A

AlexMar 2, 2017 at 6:26 pm

There are so many sports out there that don’t have to use, or don’t even use ball just like marching band.

Reply
    • M

Max GosselinFeb 10, 2018 at 1:24 pm

That’s just not true, I was a marching band member for two years, and until recently didn’t consider it a sport on the grounds that it wasn’t a head to head kind of competition where both competitors simultaneously played and tried to outdo each other, like chess, or football, or soccer. Then I discovered that ice skating is considered a sport as well, and seeing as though their form of competition is very similar to a marching band competition, I was forced to concede that marching band is in fact a sport. And the reason that most of the people making the argument are marching band people is because they understand the effort that goes into it.

Reply
  • A

Anonymous Bass ClarinetAug 30, 2016 at 7:46 pm

PREACH
    ?
    I’m in marching band. It’s physically exhausting on sweltering days, and the mental aspect makes it an even more rigorous activity! The time I have put in over the summer and during the school year equals, or even surpasses, those of many competitive sports. Thus, marching band is as much a sport as other activities which are called “sports”, such as football and basketball.

– Anonymous Bass Clarinet

Reply
    • C

CalebSep 30, 2016 at 11:54 am

A college decided to put the argument of band isn’t a sport it really is I’m in marching band I am the principal tuba and they put a heart rate monitor on some students and had the march a show they found out that the heart rate of someone in marching band is higher than some one that has just ran a marathon.

Reply
    • J

JoeNov 14, 2016 at 6:29 pm

When marching band is announced on sports center, then I’ll believe it’s a sport. But how hard is it to blow into a instrument and walk at the same time. Marching band is an after school activity like theatre. There is no skill to it.

Reply
      • A

AlexNov 21, 2016 at 6:34 pm

until you learn to control your breathing after mastering playing your instrument along with moving in different directions at different speeds you have no room to talk as to whether or not marching band is a sport.

Reply
      • T

Trumpets Kick BrassDec 3, 2016 at 6:26 am

I would love for you to try it sometime just to how exerting it really is

Reply
      • B

blooDec 7, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Actually, DCI shows were on ESPN during the 2000s. At the top of the activity, it takes quite a bit of skill and physical exertion to perform at that level. There’s tons of skill that goes into it, albeit not in every band.

Reply
      • C

Christian MartinezDec 22, 2016 at 3:00 am

There are honestly tons of people who would want to kill you for saying it takes no skill to march and play at the same time, but let me explain it to you. If you look up professional groups, like the Santa Clara Vanguard for example, then you can see all of the formations that they have to make. Starting off, people have to learn the proper technique to march, as there are a few different kinds. The technique when it is being used has to meet a certain criteria to be considered good technique. You also have to learn to march certain sized steps (the common 8/5 step which is 8 steps in 5 yards is 22.5 inches per step) to be able to march in time and keep forms with other members around you. The next thing is the music. You have to memorize it, and be able to play it when marching to a dot, or certain place tht you must reach in a certain amount of steps. If you make it early or late, it throws off the whole general affect, and ruins that chunk of the show. Also it is pretty hard to hold up instruments such as trumpets, trombones, baritones, contras, because when playing, in most cases the bell of the horn has to be about 10 degrees above the horizon. This helps build muscle, and is probably the equivalent of what football players do when weightlifting. Not the activity, but how hard it is. I’m not sure if you’ve ever played in instrument before, but you should try doing so while marching with the required technique, playing the music, and making it to your spot in a certain amount of steps. Also let me mention that when people are playing fast music and making big forms, the people at the end have to make enormous steps to make it to their dots while the people in the middle have to barely move to theirs. Let me reiterate on what the sport is called, marching band. In your comment you said “walk” and play your instrument at the same time. There is no walking. Only marching. And there is no blowing into instruments, there is playing. The music can be extemely straining. Also, there is a lot of running involved when preparing for shows, because band’s usually have to marching 9-12 minutes shows while playing, and marching. There is a lot that goes on in ones head when performing. So as I have explained, it requires a TON of skill actually.

And for the record, theatre does take skill. They act, and that’s also why you don’t see shitty actors in your favorite movies.

Reply
        • P

Passionate Fine ArtistOct 1, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Christian Martinez: Thank you! Theatre and Marching Band are the two main reasons why I enjoy school, and to see someone diss them makes me furious! There is TONS of skill in Marching Band. I know that my school doesn’t do field show competitions, but I wish we did, because it is such an amazing feeling when you finish a show that you have worked on for hours. But we do a Drum Battle, which is a Drumline equivalent of field show, and just in the school district. And not only is it EXTREMELY competitive, at my school we write it, and do the entire thing by ourselves. The teacher will help by writing down the music that we come up with, and putting it together on paper, but we do everything else. It bugs me so much that the other school drumlines hire people to help them, and the most outside help we get is MAYBE a parent of a drumline member that did percussion/drumline in school will help us clean up the little bits we need help with.

And Joe! That’s just marching band!

Let me tell you about Theatre! We have rehearsal for two months before we perform. ONLY TWO MONTHS!! And it’s an extra-curricular activity, so it’s after school, and that means less time for homework and other activities in our lives. After a very short audition period, there is a read through, which is like sight-reading for music, and then rehearsal after school for two hours every day, for four weeks. That’s already half of the time available. The fifth and sixth week is three hours a day, and the seventh and eighth week, is four and five hours, respectively. That’s only the actors. The techies, as we call them, are building, painting, and wiring the set around our rehearsal time, and the orchestra has a similar rehearsal schedule as well. And then four performances. That’s it. And the stress during the actual performances increases TEN-FOLD!!! I’m a stage manager for the show, so I have to be there for EVERYTHING! The actors “only” have to worry about memorization, of lines and songs, projecting, (being loud enough for the “old deaf lady in the back”, [and it’s a very large auditorium], a term we use plenty of times), costume changes, and the timing of it all. I, on the other hand, as a stage manger, have to make sure that all of the technical devices and such are working, the actors are ready at the right place and the right time, and be able to communicate up in the booth with my 60 percent hearing loss, and noise all around me, all of the time. I have had to run and grab people for a scene that they were going to be late for, and that is stressful as (a term I will only use in this situation,) HELL!

Back to rehearsals: I have had to deal with the actors being complete IDIOTS about my job. Yes, I know I don’t have to memorize all of your lines. Yes, I know I don’t have to worry about being where I’m supposed to be at the right times. But when you don’t remember what the teacher/director has been telling you for days about what to do, and I have to remind you? It’s stupid. And NO! Don’t you dare talk back to me! I don’t even HAVE/NEED to remember it, because it’s not for me, but I do! Because you don’t! So shut up and do what the director said. And remember, I have a more stress ful job than you.

One last comment: for one show that I stage managed, the teacher said that we were basically putting a show on in a week, compared to how much Broadway rehearses. But that doesn’t included all the off time that you had to practice. So shut up. And get to work.

Rant over. Obviously a passionate fine arts supporter.

Reply
        • T

that one kidFeb 27, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Thank you so much!!!!

Reply
      • A

AndrewJan 6, 2017 at 5:34 pm

First of all, we don’t “walk”. We march. It’s different. We need straight legs, upright bodies, strong shoulders, and strong legs, AND blow our instruments all at the same time while maintaining a straight core and no change in posture. Yes, there is no need for a ball, but who cares? And there is A LOT of skill. We spend the whole summer practicing music, marching, exercising, and making sure every move we make is perfect for the show we do. It doesn’t need to be on sports center. I don’t see swimming on it. So go hate on that one for not being a sport.

Reply
        • D

David TaylorAug 7, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Not comparing apples to apples College wrestling and marching band college boxing and marching band
          In both wrestling and boxing you can be hit in the face not so much on the marching field, you have great skill in what you do on the field but I don’t think that musicians and athletes are at the same caliber of competition

Reply
        • M

Marching ClarinetNov 30, 2017 at 4:09 pm

To anyone who says you don’t get hit in the face in marching band, I say this: Colorguard rifles hurt when you get hit in the face with them, and I still have a bruise.

Reply
        • R

RoseJan 10, 2018 at 9:36 pm

I hate how people will be like, um…….. No it’s not a sport it doesn’t involve a ball. Someone said that to me one time and I was like OH MY GODDD IT DOESNT HAVE A BALL OH NO OH NO OH WAIT SUCKER DID YOU FORGET TRACK AND UM HUH WHAT ABOUT SWIMMING

Reply
      • A

AnonJan 26, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Okay. Mr hater, try to carry a set of 40 pound tenor drums, March to precisely your sets, stay in step, march heel to toe, perfectly perform music from memory, watch the drum majors, count, not run into anyone, and run to sets at over 200 steps/beats per minute. Make it a wind instrument and add blowing in a particular way and doing all of the above while out of breath. And add the nerves when performing in front of thousands, even tens of thousands or more. Oh and add practices daily in weather ranging from 100 degrees, to 20 degrees, to rain, to wind. And avoid the color guard. Sports Center is the authority on what is and isn’t a sport. It takes a lot of skill. Try that and see if it’s sport.

Reply
        • T

That one Trumpet nerdDec 6, 2017 at 9:54 am

YESSSS! Thank you. I’m not in drum line but it still is really hard. As soon as you speed up, that messes the whole band up sometimes. The drum line is the beat. Im doing a project about whether marching band is a sport and now this site got me salty and triggered. XD

Reply
      • C

CarsonJan 27, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Marching band clearly fits the definition of a sport. Try it before you dis it. Its not easy.

Reply
      • R

RayJan 31, 2017 at 11:03 pm

You obviously have never attempted to play an instrument, because you would learn rather quickly that it takes enormous amounts of skill. Not only that, but it requires top notch physical and mental prowess. And your claim that because it’s not on Sportscenter, that it’s not a sport, is extremely ignorant. That’s like saying that just because a news channel doesn’t report a story, then it didn’t happen.

Reply
      • A

AlexMar 2, 2017 at 6:20 pm

If anyone says that marching band is a sport then they are wrong. A sport is something that has to do with skill and something physical. All sports don’t even has to have a ball or eve be shown on sports center. For the people who do marching band would yo agree that marching band is very difficult to perform. I am not stating that it is the,”Worlds hardest sport.” What I am saying is that some people don’t know the feeling of doing marching band and that they don’t know how it feels to do it for most of the day in the heat, rain, or even snow. For the people who don’t how marching band is hard well it is hard I would say go try it out for yourself and then come back and tell me how was it.

Reply
        • T

That one Trumpet nerdDec 6, 2017 at 9:56 am

wait are you saying it is or it isnt? the beginning said “If anyone says that marching band is a sport then they are wrong.”

Reply
      • M

Marching band nerdMar 4, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Try strapping on a drum and playing 32nd notes at 160bpm while marching down a hot asphalt road on a summer day in a polyester uniform and shako….. I’m pretty sure that no football player could manage that without crying.

Reply
      • A

Anonymous Guard MemberMar 16, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Unfortunately, your opinion is biased. Did your parents ever tell you to not judge a book by a cover? Marching band is most definitely a sport because it is one of the most difficult things that i have ever done. Yes it looks like we just march around and play instruments and there is more than that. The foot ball teams and baseball teams practice 3 times less than the Band. There is specific requirements to march and there are specific ways to march. It may just look like walking around but you hear more about marching bands in the news that other sports. for example, At the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, macy’s doesn’t ask football teams to participate they ask marching bands from around the country. Marching Band members must perform a 10-15 minute show with out getting time outs to recatch their breath. So please one more time say why you don’t think marching band isn’t a sport.

Reply
      • C

corbinMar 17, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Hey so decided to put in some input and say that for one if you came to this sight to disprove a friend your wrong because every dictionary defines sport as a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other, which would include marching band because it meets all this criteria and more the sport is not only physically taxing on the body it requires a lot of sill and mental practice.

Reply
      • G

GarrisonMar 23, 2017 at 6:19 am

Joe obviously is some kid who doesn’t know anything and you don’t know if something is hard or not until you try it and obviously if you think it’s easy you haven’t tried it

Reply
      • G

GarrisonMar 23, 2017 at 6:19 am

Joe obviously is some kid who doesn’t know anything and you don’t know if something is hard or not until you try it and obviously if you think it’s easy you haven’t tried it so joe think about the things your saying before you say them

Reply
      • J

JoeApr 8, 2017 at 9:21 pm

If a fat person goes for a 15 minute walk their heart rate will also be way over someone who is running a marathon. Your heart rate does not prove how physically challenging something is.

Reply
        • B

BrassCapt.MelloJan 14, 2018 at 10:57 pm

You try moving hundreds of yards a day without your shoulders moving up and down and carrying an instrument that can weigh anywhere from 5 to 55 pounds for a 6 hour practice with 10 minute breaks every 1.5 hours in the middle of summer when literally every other sport at your school cancelled practice because they thought it was too hot.

Reply
        • T

TrumpetboyoMar 3, 2018 at 11:26 am

But a fat person would not be used to walking. That’s why their heart rate would be up. Because there body is fat. It takes more energy to move something that weighs more. That’s why their heartrate would be high. But people who are in marchingband are used to the hard work and carying an instrument. But their heart rates are still as high as someone that’s running a marathon.

Reply
      • M

MaddieApr 18, 2017 at 10:12 pm

You’re wrong there. Marching band involves A LOT of mental and physical skill. We have to memorize our music and play it correctly while marching in time to 100 different spots on a field. We have to get to the exact spot at the exact right time.
        And marching is NOT walking. You have to roll step, keep your torso still, back straight, stay in line, stare straight ahead, keep correct spacing, stay on the right foot, stay in time. There’s a lot to think about. And a lot of the time we’re almost jogging. Also, keep in mind instruments take a lot of air. So try speed walking while simultaneously exhaling for as long as you can, take a one second breath and repeat. Not to mention your arms get sore after holding your instrument up for that long, especially while wearing the heavy, hot uniform. I’m sweaty and completely winded after every performance.
        We also compete just like a football team does.

Reply
      • A

Anonymous TrumpetMay 25, 2017 at 2:19 pm

You don’t just blow into the instrument and “walk”, marching is a complex style. It requires skill to learn how to play an instrument, learn music, memorize music, learn and memorize placement and visuals, and to march. It’s so much more than walking, it’s hours on end of practice and patience and just plain work.

Reply
        • T

Trumpet playerAug 7, 2017 at 9:33 pm

I am starting marching band next year and my cousin (who has been in marching band for two years) took the liberty of helping me prepare mentally and physically. To be honest, just playing and memorizing the music is already difficult enough! I do get tired when I practice in our local park’s football field and learning how to read a dot sheet, then applying what it says to what you are actually doing?!?! It’s pretty damn hard! Plus I am a major DCI fan. I watch the shows every year and when you look at those players after performing, their lips and arms and legs are sore. They are so sweaty that they look like thy got out of a swimming pool, and you can hear their intense and heavy breathing. That’s on the physical side of band. Marching bands and drum corps do compete and they have a season. Now the music it self without the marching, if you are new to band at all you will have to choose an instrument to play, learn how to play it, learn how to read music, learn how to harmonize with everyone, make sure your in tune, watch the conductor, after three or so years of that, it’s off to high school where you memorize all of the music you learn because unlike in concert band, you don’t perform with the music in front of you. PLUS all of the physical work and learning mentioned earlier. If you think marching band isn’t a sport then You are GREATLY mistaken and I strongly encourage you to try it before giving an opinion.

Reply
      • H

HahahFeb 20, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Whats so hard about running and throwing a football? You guys just meet after school like soccer.

Reply
  • C

charlene geerAug 24, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Marching band is a sport.I should know because I’m in Marching band.

Reply
    • A

anonOct 4, 2016 at 9:32 am

That’s opinion not fact that’s like someone going out and saying that Mcdonalds in the best lunch place just because they ate there.

Reply
      • A

anonMar 2, 2017 at 10:11 am

Okay but you can say the same exact thing about any other activity that would be considered a sport. Examples like football, baseball, and basketball. Your opinion is that marching band is not a sport. Also your opinion is that these other activities are sports. So when you say that it is a fact that marching band is not a sport, we must take a look back at the definition of a sport. Which “Is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” So you saying that its an opinion that people would say marching band is a sport, is completely absurd. Then your metaphor you used to somehow prove your point totally contradicts what you’re saying. When did he say that marching band was the best activity ever. Which then would be an opinion!

Reply
      • A

Anonymous Trombone PlayerAug 6, 2017 at 7:04 am

The article says that not many will believe it is a sport until they experience a season of it. Charlene is saying that she knows it is a sport because she has done a season of it before. I have done a season of it, and I can assure you, it is just as hard if not more hard than other sports. We have 3 weeks of band camp a year, and the 2nd week has 13 hours of practice a day. I don’t know if you have done a season of marching band, but it IS a sport.

Reply
        • A

AlyviaNov 9, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Ok your stupid ? it’s not a sport.. football players go or there and work there buts of to make your school look good.. no one shows up to football, baseball, or anything else to hear the band play there 5 pound flutes?? okkkk… if you think it’s a sport you’ve got a problem bc it’s not and ya know no one cares about band.. it’s for geeks who don’t have a life and want a life so they go to band to make it look like they have a life..

Reply
        • C

Clarinet NerdNov 14, 2017 at 9:59 pm

You again Alyvia? Jeez, are you a flute or something? You keep mentioning them, so anyone could assume you were. If you are, you’re band doesn’t know how to give pep talks. Oh wait, maybe you’re just salty about not being good enough to be in competition band. It’s all right… maybe just think more positive about how we work our butts off… and how we can do better than most of the other sports in our school. Like seriously? Grand Nationals… small town beats three major bands… hmmm… football players can’t even get through 2 playoffs… hmmm… OBVIOUSLY A SPORT IF WE COMPETE NATIONALLY AND OUR FOOTBALL TEAM CAN’T EVEN MAKE IT TO THE FINAL PLAYOFFS FOR A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Reply
        • A

A marching and concert band clarinet and a first chair high ranking orchestra violinlooNov 18, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Alyvia are you fucking stupid band is a fucking sport

Reply
        • T

That one Trumpet nerdDec 6, 2017 at 8:30 am

Alyvia you are stupid. You are just saying that because you are jealous of the of the marching because most of the time, the marching band gets more trophies that the football team. so you are just mad that we are better that other teams. And, TROPHIES? what??? Marching band gets trophies? Only sports teams get trophies!!!! oh yeah that is because MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT!!!!

Reply
        • T

The other trumpet geekDec 6, 2017 at 8:36 am

Shut up you scrub marching band is a sport because unlike you they extersize and the don’t sit on a couch eating potato chips and getting fat.

Reply
        • P

PercussionistMay 9, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Really Alyvia? There’s a lot more than just flute. Also flute isn’t even easy. You have to hold it up perfectly and keep perfect posture and technique for hours without stop. Have you ever tried to hold your arm up for as long as you can? It hurts after less than a MINUTE. Try doing that for hours while simultaneously marching with perfect technique, playing your music well, and hitting all your dots perfectly. Ya it’s not that easy. Also there is a lot more than flute. The drum line especially is insane. We have to carry drums that weigh anywhere from 20 pounds to 90 POUNDS. OUR TENORS WEIGH 90 POUNDS. Again with tenor drums you still need to march perfectly, you still need to play well, and you still need to hit your dots perfectly. FOR HOURS. Our practices can last anywhere from 3 hours (on school days) to 13 HOURS. Band camp during the summer for us is two weeks straight of 9 hour and 13 hour practices. Also take into consideration it can get up 100 degrees. 13 hours, carrying a 90 pound set of drums, playing perfectly (you also have to move around the drums), hitting all your dots perfectly, wearing an uncomfortable harness, in 100 degree weather. People have to leave practice or sit out because they could get overheat. We sometimes drink up to a gallon of water PER PRACTICE. Also, in the late season, it can get down to 20 degree weather. It is almost impossible to play any drum, especially tenor drums, with frozen hands. If you even barely hit your hand on a rim, or play a shot too hard, or anything like that, your hand could crack and start bleeding. Marching band is definitely a sport. It fits all the criteria. Competitive: definitely! In Indiana, we have like over 30 different groups, 10 of which make it to finals. There is also nationals, which is even more competitive. Physical activity: of course. We already went over that. All of it fits the criteria. There’s no valid argument that says Marching Band is not a sport.

Reply
      • C

chrishawkinsNov 21, 2017 at 6:52 am

Listen here and listen good you little piece of s#*t I am a marcher in marching band so don’t say it is not and 2nd we work way harder than football players. we work 9 hours a week sometimes 12 hours for a 7 to 10 min show it’s a lot harder than anything you are capable of so SHUT THE F*#K UP BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SO ALYVIA JUST STOP!!! 3rd there is more than just flute in marching band there is sousaphone, trumpet, trombone, baritone french horn’ clarinet, saxaphone and the colorguard. So yeah get your facts straight Bi#ch. An you spell like a 3rd grader so learn to spell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply
        • O

owbowwowJan 23, 2018 at 5:19 pm

wow ur so cool you do marching band you have so much more clout than the football players because you won a competition.

Reply
      • T

TrumpetboyoMar 3, 2018 at 10:56 am

But that’s not related to what we are talking about. We never said that marching band is a better sport than others, that is an opinion. But the definition of a sport describes marching band exactly. So technically, marching band is a sport. There is factual evidence that it is a sport, so it’s not an opinion. It’s a fact.

Reply
    • A

anonMar 2, 2017 at 10:10 am

Reply
    • M

Marching band nerdMar 4, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Preach it charlene geer

Reply
  • P

Phebe CarrollDec 2, 2015 at 9:20 am

I believe that marching band is a sport, although many of my class members are for and against this. Im not sure what to tell them, because the oxford dictionary says that it is not. However, when you look up the definition of sport, you must have physical activity and entertainment. Marching band does both…

Reply
    • A

Anonymous PercussionistMay 19, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Whether or not marching band is a sport should not be judged on what a dictionary says it is. It should be judged on the actual definition of the word “sport”. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a sport as “a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other”. Oxford Dictionary says a sport is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment”. Marching band meets all of these criteria. The evidence is explained in the above article.
      If the Oxford Dictionary claims that marching band is not a sport despite its own definition, then their opinion is unimportant. By making this claim, they are ignoring the evidence supporting the fact that marching band is a sport. If we dictated whether or not it is a sport based on others’ opinions, why should we doubt people that claim it isn’t? The definition gives us the answer. Marching band is a sport because it requires physical exertion and skill, involves competition, and is entertainment for the audience and the band itself.

Reply
      • P

percussionist and Melophone playerOct 2, 2017 at 8:43 pm

I am in marching band, and am constantly in arguments, in marching band you need strength especially as a percussionist, and in the definition of sport, you need to compete, and last weekend my band had our first competition of this season, after a summer of percussion rehearsals, so it definitely meets that criteria, and marching band requires skill, so marching band is definitely a sport.

Reply
        • O

owbowwowJan 23, 2018 at 5:20 pm

marching band is for people who don’t have anything athletic to put under their “sports” column on their college resume.

Reply
      • C

chris hawkinsNov 20, 2017 at 11:34 am

now I have classmates that disagree about this I for one agree that it is a sport how do I get that through to them?

Reply
      • D

DavidAug 7, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Is Marching band a game?

Reply
        • L

lolyourekiddingSep 9, 2018 at 1:14 pm

no, but it is a contest with scores, rules and regulations

Reply
    • A

AlyviaNov 9, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Marching band is not a sport?? ok…. you walk around holding a 10 pound flute and walk.. you show up to football games and no one listens to them they don’t come to watch the band they come to watch football… so… compared to softball and football and baseball marching band is there to cheer on the kids who play sports???

Reply
      • H

HNov 10, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Some instruments are a lot more then 10 pounds, and we run around the field, we practice longer then the football teams. Football players don’t have judges watching their every move, a football player makes a small mistake and no notices, and band kid does then your mistake is recorded and shared with the band. Scientists have measure marching band kid’s heart rate and their hearts beat as fast as someone running a marathon.

Reply
        • E

Eleni DemoleasMay 25, 2018 at 10:26 am

especially during band camp in the 100 degree weather and we cant just take a break during a run to drink water. It is a very competitive sport you burn 700 calories in an 11 minute run mean while football players burn 550 calories for the entire football game.

Reply
      • T

The Wrestling PercussionistNov 14, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Okay. Listen. I understand that since marching band isn’t all that glorified you don’t recognize what it actually is. I am a three season varsity athlete and in the marching band in my school. I do Cross Country running, Wrestling, and Outdoor Track and Field. You might think “those sports aren’t hard”, realize that my school is SUPER competitive and that for Cross County, long days are 12 miles not including warm-ups that are 1.4 miles and cool-downs that are 1.4 more miles. Wrestling is nothing but hard work and sweat for 3 hours every day of the week, ALL day Saturday and break on Sundays while at the same time keeping the same weight, if not making it. On Track I run the mile, 2 mile, 4×800 and pole vaulting. For the running portion it’s the same training as Cross Country; on top of that I train also for pole vault which is insanely difficult and dangerous if you haven’t seen it. Now that you know ever thing you could possibly want to know about my sports life, you know I truly mean what I say when I tell you that marching band is harder than any of those. It truly is. For example, in my band I play the bass drum. It is 45 pounds and uncomfortable as all H, E, double hockey sticks. Try wearing that for HOURS at a time without putting it down or losing good playing posture. In the dead of the summer. With little to NO water breaks. That’s not all either. I have to wear that while memorizing music, learning dots and drills (where you NEED to be EXACTLY EVERY time without fail whilst stopping AND stopping in time, on count because you need to COUNT the ENTIRE time too), focusing on the Drum Major, stepping with the EXACT SAME foot as EVERYONE else on the field ALL of the time, playing perfectly because music demands perfection, marching correctly (so your torso doesn’t look like it’s moving and for anyone who has to blow into their instrument, the sound comes out without any interruptions from their step), wearing the same uniform as everyone else (what a coincidence? The same uniform? Like all other sports? yeah!) that is usually made of (or at least ours is) thick cotton (ours is black and maroon) that SUCKS in the summer, and honestly there’s too much I can take off the top of my head like I have been so I’ll leave you with the dictionary definition of a sport and prove that it fits. Then you can sorrow in your own blind stupidity for not acknowledging something more difficult and complex than you’ve ever done in your life. “an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.” Yup. It fits. never mind the scheduled and organized practices, performances, competitions, awards, banquets, so on and so forth. Yes. Marching Band is a sport. In fact it is harder than most sports. I hope you can deal with it. I also hope that schools and such recognize that it is as well making people more aware and maybe more interested. Thank you.

Reply
        • T

TrumpettrentMay 13, 2018 at 11:09 am

? beautiful and well said

Reply
      • C

Clarinet NerdNov 14, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Dear, Alyvia: Okay, first off, based on your sentences, typing skills, punctuation, etc, you’re obviously not in high school yet, so you don’t even probably know anything about high school sports in the first place. And another thing… FLUTES AREN’T THE ONLY INSTRUMENTS IN THE BAND SWEETIE!!!! And, yeah they may be “only 10 pounds”, but try holding it up perfectly parallel to the ground for a whole show while marching, doing forward/backward slides, plus choreography and more. Trust me, I have flute friends. When marching, all the instruments have a unique way of holding their instruments, with judges staring at them constantly and marking down anything wrong with horn angles. You have to play your instrument while doing either really hard choreography or really hard drill moves. Try a backwards march, 5/5 while playing straight sixteenth notes on a clarinet, while crossing the “break”… which is obviously going to squeak. But, you can’t, because there’s obviously going to be a judge walking right in front of you to see how you do. You literally can’t mess up in front of a judge, or they’ll take away from Individual Music/Performance points. When there are big props in the way while preforming, and you can’t see a drum major, you have to improvise and try to listen to people around you or watch their feet as best as possible, otherwise, you won’t be in step and you’ll mess up the music. Try 12 hour practices in blazing hot summers, freezing cold saturdays before competitions, and rainy week days after school. When it’s raining, and the football players have to have to the stadium for practice, then we have to practice on the concrete band field, and it’s slippery af. And we don’t “cheer on the kids who play sports”, we hype them up to win, then do our show during halftime, and then listen to the roaring of the crowd after we preform… obviously important. And if we miss a game to go a competition, the football players blame it on us for them losing… obviously important. And if there are national competitions (BOA), then it’s obviously a sport. Our football players didn’t even make it through two playoffs for state championship, and my band went to Indianapolis BOA Grand Nationals, and represented our school in beating three really good bands. I’m not going to say anything about our placement, because I want to be anonymous. But let’s just say, we made history for a small town in a small state. And we came back to this argument at school, all because the football players are salty because we beat them at everything.

Reply
        • Z

ZachAug 26, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Thank god yall speak up bc honestly anyone who thinks marching band is not a sport is stupid and you’ve never been in it. You only see the finished product. You dont see all the hard work put in to do that. And as a contra player and being a sophomore in marching band yeah it’s hard and yeah it sucks but it takes skill and it’s harder than most of y’alls sports anyway

Reply
      • W

Wrestling PercussionistNov 16, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Also I seriously would like you to do a quick YouTube search… Type “DCI” in the search bar and tell us if you could do that… I hope you’ve gained a newfound appreciation for this, yes, sport. Thank you again.

Reply
      • C

chris hawkinsNov 20, 2017 at 11:45 am

Listen, honey I play sousaphone try lugging that around for a whole show its hard its physical oh wait THATS A SPORT MY GOD and learn to spell.

Reply
      • T

True Colorguard GirlNov 20, 2017 at 1:10 pm

You do realize that the marching band practices a lot more than most sports teams right? I’m not saying that other teams don’t work hard, they do. I’m not saying that we are the best sport either. That depends on opinion. What I’m going to say is this. The longest practice I have had in a marching band is 9 hours during some of the hottest summer days of the year. I know people who have practice for a lot longer. Marching band also has more than just flutes. There are Trumpets and Sousaphones, Trombones and Drums. I myself am in the colorguard. I swing a large flag and even larger props to tell a story that some people don’t even understand. We practice for Hours upon hours in order to perform a seven minute show. The football team has the chance to show off for like two hours. They have the chance and ability to improvise to get the points and win, while the marching band has to be completely exact in order to get a good score. It is much harder to be exact than to be able to improvise. Also, a sport is defined as a competitive activity that needs skill. There are INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIONS dedicated to marching bands. So DON’T tell me that Marching Band is not a sport. It is.

Reply
        • R

RoseJan 10, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Thank you for saying this I mean we practice the 2 hottest weeks of july with limited water breaks for over 8 hours no one realizes that

Reply
      • T

That one Trumpet nerdDec 6, 2017 at 8:24 am

Um, i would like to disagree with you because it is definitely a sport.The definition of sport is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment”. And that is the almost the exact definition of sport. We compete with other marching bands and we work as a TEAM. And we do practice longer that most football teams. We have people watching and a lot of people do come to watch the band instead of the football. A lot of people from my school comes to watch the band more that the band. If u wanna talk more about it, email me please. I would love to argue about this with anyone who disagrees.

Reply
      • N

NolenDec 8, 2017 at 10:21 am

If you think marching band is not a sport, then your a idiot we practice a hell of a lot longer than almost any sport. A sport is a competitive competition with more than 2 teams and even though my school goes against one other in in my state but at my national competition their is 8 other schools I have to go against. So if you want to tell me marching band is not a sport, then email me because I would love to have this argument with you.

Reply
        • T

that one kidFeb 27, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply
      • R

RoseJan 10, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Marching band is a sport because it meets all the criteria and it litterly says that the definition of a sport is, skill, entertainment, practice, ext…. And wow 10lb flute yes there may be small instruments but my saxophone is 25lbs and guess what marching band is NOT easy we wear hot uniforms practice up to 8 or more hours a day while trying to play our memorized music we must get in our formation perfectly be in step be on beat I would LOVE to watch you try marching, 4\4, jazz running, marching 2\4, while remembering ge,while being watched every single second of our performance, SO YES IT IS A SPORT AND YOU NEED TO GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD. We spend hours and hours perfect 10 minutes, we deserve recognition for what we do and I dont know where your from but my town LOVES our band you should hear how loud they cheer when were done I dont care what you think but they come to see us too

Reply
      • R

random sax playerFeb 2, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Marching band is a sport. You try to do a backward left slide jazz run at 160 BPM. not flippin easy. and i play tenor sax that thing weighs 35 lbs. and flutes aren’t the only frickin instrument in the fudging band!!!!

Reply
      • A

a random clarinootistFeb 13, 2018 at 9:05 am

a 10 pound flute, huh

Reply
      • H

HahahFeb 20, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Really? What about the marching band comps? People pay a lot of money to get into a comp. Here is a link to WGI, http://www.wgi.org , read up on this and then try again.

Reply
      • T

that one kidFeb 27, 2018 at 12:10 pm

I swear!!! I want to see you carry around a tuba for 5 hours straight. that is one frickin practice for us!!!! The school that I go to are state champions 28 YEARS RUNNING!!! Band camp is from 8am- 6pm. that’s 10 HOURS!!! This year we got straight firsts at state. I want to see you practice for 10 hours a day for a week!!!! I rest my case!!!!!!

Reply
      • T

TrumpetboyoMar 3, 2018 at 10:51 am

Ok. First of all, flutes are 3 pounds. Secondly, there are other instruments that weigh a lot more, like a sousaphone that weighs 40 to 50 pounds. And I’m not just in marching band, I’m on the swim team and we have a crazy coach. She has us swim three 500 meters on 5 minutes, on an easy day. And band is harder than that. We spend hours outside in the sun marching and trying to keep a perfect form the entire time. And when we preform we have to be precice. Because if just one person if out of step that could mean we lose the competition. And golf is considered a sport. Sure it takes some talent to aim a ball and hit it with the right amount of force to land in a hole. But they drive to where they hit their ball. They sometimes have someone else carry there stuff for them. It takes very little strength to play golf. But it’s a sport.

Reply
      • P

portiaApr 23, 2018 at 11:34 am

have you ever been in a competition, for your sport, for more than 10-15 hours? have you ever practiced in 100 degree weather?

Reply
      • M

Mellophonia217Apr 24, 2018 at 1:38 pm

If it is not a sport than why? It meets up to all of the criteria of a sport. In my school my band is the best sport/activity there is. We are a small school and we go against the biggest schools around my area and get 1st. Our football team isn’t great and could never do that.

Reply
      • T

TrumpettrentMay 13, 2018 at 11:19 am

Last year I marched souzaphone. Now that hunk of steal is 47 pounds. Try holding that on one shoulder, blowing emense amounts of air into the horn, trying to project on a low pitched instrument, marching in time at 178 marching 4/4 3/4 2/4 and remember where and when and how you’re gonna get to your next spot. I’m marching trumpet this year and my music has high ass notes, fast ass parts, consecutive sixteenth and sixtuplet runs. Trumpet is around 10 pounds, but after a 8 1/2 minute show of non stop playing, you wish you were dead. Playing through the show at least 5 times consecutively in a rehearsal with no breaks will kill. Trust me. Especially in band camp with 8 hr days in 108 degree heat under the scorching sun. Plus my school doesn’t have a real football field to practice on so we’re marching on a shitty patch of grass that’s half dead and full of potholes. We run the risk of breaking an ankle and totaling a $600 instument (few thousand for bigger instuments) and bigger instruments can fall and severely damage their bodies causing paralization. Now I may be sounding over dramatic but these are possibilities. Yes football is dangerous, but they don’t have 75 pound tenor drum on their shoulders. Amen

Reply
        • F

FloydSep 2, 2018 at 1:11 pm

You preach ! I know exactly what you mean. I’m 4’11 play trombone and our show is in 12/8. And… I Jazz run. Sigh

Reply
      • E

ElizabethAug 28, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Okay first of all Marching Bands don’t only play in football games and parades we have competitions between other Marching bands and the audience comes to WATCH THE BAND. Depending on the school Marching bands practice almost every day for 3+ hours as a group, then we have sectionals, and we have to practice on our own time. Also we are not walking forward on a field. We are Marching forward and backwards while Traversing. We have to memorize 100+ sets, our music, and the people around us. People have had serious back problems from holding instruments as a Baritone saxophone. I would love to see you just stand with horns up with a trumpet in your hands for 10 minutes and then tell me band doesn’t require strength. The band works harder than high school football.

Reply
      • A

Anonymous Sax playerAug 29, 2018 at 2:07 am

What really irritates me that non-marchers says, “marching band is not a sport”. I have a disagreement on that opinion. For instance, the bass drum weighs 30 to 40 pounds including the hareness and I heard from actual players that it’s so uncomfortable to wear including wearing it for hours. With very minimum water breaks. That’s not all either there’s more we have to memorize the music, learn the dots, drills, focus on Drum Major, good posture, stepping in the same foot as everyone else in the field, stopping in time, having horn angles, counting, marching and playing the same time and our grass has holes in it, not to mention judges are seeing your every move having a record of it and your band members will see it, as well playing perfectly the music that your band director gives to you. The Marching Band has more hours than a sports team in the heat seven in the morning until nine the night in summer band camp. In addition wearing uniforms when the hottest it’s been hundred and twenty degrees outside. Marching Band is a skill, sport and art.

Reply
      • J

jayAug 30, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Its called a Marching Band for a reason we don´t walk that´s common knowledge. If your band is good enough people do got to games just for the band. The definition of a sport is a PHYSICAL activity. We still have to exercise and get in training just like other athletes. Yes flutes are light but tubas range from 30-40 pounds same with drums.

Reply
      • F

FloydSep 2, 2018 at 1:01 pm

I play trombone and it definitely weighs more than ten pounds. I practice for two hours every Tuesday and Thursday and then have games on fridays. I participate in completions almost every saturday. We are not just walking, there is a specific technique required. (Let me tell you Jazz running look it up, it’s not fun especially if you are 4’11) Also, there is something called tone and volume and with this air. So while you huff and puff running on a football feild. We have to have a steady air flow and it has to be consistent. So you can’t say that it is easy and not classified as a sport if you have not done it and experience d the pain that come along with it.

Reply
      • B

Bass clarinet kidSep 9, 2018 at 11:42 pm

well i mean… football is just a bunch of guys slamming their bodies together over a ball… and we’re not just there to cheer on the football players, we also use their games to practice for our competitions…

Reply
      • M

MyraSep 11, 2018 at 11:42 am

Marching Band is a sport because most band win more awards the another some sports. Have you ever marched with a flute in your hand or any instrument it is actually really hard. If you haven’t tried it don’t say something about it, because it is a sport.

Reply
      • T

tubasousacontraSep 18, 2018 at 5:23 pm

if a flute is ten pounds then then they can complain im on sousa and im 5’2 and my body is really right for the instrument, my shoulder crunches and my back when i bend over after practice hurts, and people dont see me going to the trainer for my weird shoulder problem or my back hurting but, a flute at max is two pounds. we work harder than the football team at my school, well were still practicing there leaving after an 1:30 and we have been there for about 2 hours, yes werent not outside all the time but sometime the weather has a different plan. have to work harder then everyone else whos taller to get the right step size. and with warm ups we run around the football field, and for a punishment we run like if you 5 mins late you run 5 laps or if your uniform isnt on the rack right you have to run. have you even ever watched a marching band performance exactly? and DCI Drum corps international all of the players get jacked and or lose a ton of weight just from three months.

Reply
279