University of Oklahoma should take further steps to eradicate racist behavior and tendencies

Kelsey Thomas, Co-Executive Editor

In recent months, more events calling attention to deep-seeded, widespread racism have occurred more than ever before, or at least since the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s. Examples include the murder of Michael Brown in Ferguson and the riots that followed, as well as the unjustified and brutal beating of an African-American student at University of Virginia.
But perhaps the most flagrant, despicable showing of racism was by a Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) fraternity chapter at the University of Oklahoma. Several members of the chapter, if not all of them, were recorded in a video chanting, “There’ll never be a n—- at SAE.” Later on, it came to light that later verses of the chant stated, “You could hang him from a tree, but he’ll never sign with me.”
The “song” is obviously disgusting; it is an obvious insult to African-Americans, and a disgrace to the university and America.
As one may have expected, and hoped for, the nation reacted with outrage. The President of the university made a public statement, and promptly expelled two of the boys shown in the video. The fraternity’s house was closed down, the members evicted. To many, it may seem that social justice has been served.
Unfortunately, it is not clear whether or not the university has continued to follow a proper course of action. It appears as though the university did what was safe; merely expelled the two boys primarily shown in the video, and closed down the fraternity. Of course this discipline was just, but it simply was not enough.
After the video received national attention, alumni members of SAE chapters outside of the college and around the country stepped forward, claiming that their chapter had chanted similar songs.
It is clear that this issue spreads far beyond the two boys that were expelled in the SAE chapter at the University of Oklahoma. The two boys expelled were the only ones that could be discerned in the video, thus it was impossible to tell whether or not certain students were involved.
The course of action taken by the university should be a movement, rather than solely disciplinary action. Expulsions and fraternity closings do not rid the world of racism, though it is a fitting punishment. The University of Oklahoma should begin awareness groups, and aim to foster attitudes of respect from white people not only to African-Americans, but all other races and religions.
This is not to say that racist, intolerant people should be dealt with gently or gracefully. At no time should the University, or anyone else attempt to reason with those who have opinions based only on hatred and faulty logic. There is no intelligent arguing that can take place with these groups of people, one’s time should not be wasted on them.
Instead, those who have outdated and simply false opinions should be made to feel that if they continue their harmful beliefs, they have disconnected themselves from the modern world. They have made a conscious decision to choose to be morally incorrect, and that sort of behavior will not be tolerated anymore.
Undoubtedly, the university President made the right choice in expelling the students and shutting down the fraternity. Still, more action needs to be taken. Racism won’t be extinguished from mere disciplinary actions, a wake of change in mentality of college students and people across America must also occur.