Holes in homeschool education doesn’t prepare students for the future

Julia Bielewicz, Staff Writer

How beneficial is homeschooling to students? Homeschooling puts restraints on learning as well as social skills. In most cases, it is predetermined and should be up to the child to decide the way in which they are going to receive their education and the quality of it as well.

Courtesy of patheos.com

First off, in homeschooling there are major time restraints. There are a great deal of factors that limit the time available for homeschooling such as working parents or time-intensive schooling techniques. Financial restraints are also a major apprehension. Often, a source of income is lost when a family decides to homeschool. The amount of time spent between children and parents may be too much and can put a strain on family relationships.

One major disadvantage is the limited social interactions that homeschooled kids have. Chances to play team sports are very restricted, especially for teens who want to play competitive sports. Kids who are homeschools often have very limited outside connections and have very few friends due to their education style. Homeschooling is also considered rather unusual among most people, so homeschooled children may experience negative attitudes and comments from other people about the child’s learning style.

Public and private schools provide an escape from situations at home and allows students to meet kids with similar interests and lives. Regular schooling gives children an opportunity to see how others live and perceive the world. Keeping kids in a house will only force them to believe every opinion of their parents, which will result in narrow minded children and adults.

Another major concern is the level of education they’re receiving. There is absolutely no guarantee of the student’s education being up to the same standards and expectations of college level exams and classes. There are certain experiences within regular schooling that is hard to experience through homeschooling such as work load and tests.

For instance, a report from the National Center for Education Studies, concluded that it is hard to equate the experience of child who has never sat in a classroom before to one who is there close to 40 hours a week.

In the U.S., it is the states’ responsibilities to take care of homeschooling. While some have strict laws, others do not require for a parents to even contact a local school district about their child. Even in states where laws require homeschooling to be closely regulated, good outcomes and supervision is hard to come by. Below the ages of six to sixteen, the state does not keep track of the student’s progress. Due to that, it is nearly impossible for our country to know exactly how many families choose to homeschool in kindergarten or how many teens go from homeschooling programs to college.

Homeschooling has negative effects on students as well as the relationships they hold with others. This method of education is nowhere near preparing them for the road they have after high school and in the end, is hurting the child more than if they went to public or private school.