Authors scheduled to speak in the library via Skype, in person

Choteau Kammel, Executive Editor

Even with the new building renovations and library addition several years away, librarian Beth Eilers and the library staff are making the most of their current accommodations in providing books, computers and further learning opportunities for interested students. One of the programs they offer to progress these goals has been bringing in authors from around the world via Skype to speak to students, many of whom are aspiring authors themselves. With one such visit already down this school year, there are currently five more scheduled for the coming months including authors from the United Kingdom and even one from the Omaha Metro.

The author visits program is now entering its third year, and encompasses a total of six Omaha Public schools, in which the authors rotate between each establishment. This cyclical movement also is used to share books between libraries, as prior to each Skype call, each library receives around 70 copies of books written by that author in order to help introduce them to the student body. “We’re really lucky, because being in such a large school district we have a department that arranges the visits while we [individual libraries] handle the promotion and welcoming for the authors,” said Eilers.

The first author visit of this school year was from Young Adult Golden Sower award winner Alan Gratz, whose repertoire includes anywhere from fantasy and adventure to historical fiction based on real people and events, such as his Holocaust novel Prisoner B-3087. Via Skype, students were able to ask Gratz any questions they may have, but Eilers said that many of the inquiries are about being and becoming an author. She said, “He talked to the students a lot about how authors prepare and organize their writing prior to beginning a work.” Advice such as this is quite pertinent to many attending students as often they are interested in becoming authors as well.

Among the upcoming authors who will be paying Central students and staff visits are young adult author Lydia Kang, urban fiction author Sharon Flake and also mystery author April Henry. Although the majority of the authors visit with webcam, occasionally they are able to make an in person appearance, and this year’s will be Lydia Kang, who actually lives in the Metro area. “She’s a physician, and she also has this young adult series. I’ve even had students say that she’s their parent’s doctor,” said Eilers.

Eilers also explained that Flake is one of the most well-known authors to Skype the students and that having her is a bit of a coup for the district and that coincidentally enough, April Henry is actually visiting in the month of April.

For these author visits to work, the Skype calls are only half of the program. The other half is made up by the students. “All they have to do to come is sign up in the library and it will then be run to their class on the day of the event,” said Eilers. All events are held during fifth period, and announcements are made many days in advance so as to give students ample time to register.

Although a Skype call does play second fiddle to an old fashioned personal appearance, Eilers still works hard to make sure the visits go as smoothly as possible, as she said, “I try to make the visits as informal and casual as possible. I don’t want anyone to be intimidated on either side of the camera. It’s also quite fascinating because you get to see inside the author’s homes and they often have décor related to their work.”

Based on the average attendance from the past few years of the author visits, and the first one down this year, usually 10-25 students attend, but almost double that sign up. To any students who may have even the slightest interest in coming to learn more about writing from people who do it for a living, Eilers said, “If you have lunch fifth period, or even if you don’t, this is the one time you can come and eat lunch at the library computers. All are welcome.”