For the first time, student chosen as Winter Formal DJ

For the 2016 Winter Formal dance, Student Council voted to allow students to tryout to DJ at the event. In January, announcements were made that Student Council, who coordinates the dance, was in search of an experienced disc jockey.

Rising to the challenge, senior Justus Henderson tried out for the spot and received the position. He plans to use his audio production knowledge to make this year’s Winter Formal playlist unforgettable. Henderson says wants to use a variety of genres. He intends to mix popular radio songs with his own list of tracks, to create an interesting array of music that anyone can dance to. Henderson aims to improve upon last year’s dance, which, according to him, had a very bland and uninteresting selection of songs.

As an aspiring DJ and audio engineer, Henderson has learned how to get the crowd hyped by utilizing many moods of music. He implements the science of sound to compile a personal cocktail of tracks.

By choosing songs with a specific number of beats per minute, the correct mix of instruments and overall popularity, a DJ can cause crowd excitement almost effortlessly. Henderson teases that he has a few tricks up his sleeve. “I wanna send out good vibes,” he said.

Henderson also plans on playing some of his own original material. In addition to some of his beats, Henderson plans to play remixes of well-known songs that he’s thrown together. Being a music producer has helped him create masterpieces that will bring the dance floor to life. “It just comes natural to me…I DJ for the people,” he said. Henderson doesn’t foresee any difficulties with the upcoming dance, and is confident in his skills as an entertainer. According to him, dancing will come easy for students.

Though his priority is keeping the party moving, Henderson’s personal taste in music will be blended into his performance. He claims that he has been itching to perform to showcase his beat making and musical production skills. His participation in a live “beat battle” gained the attention of local music industry regulars.

Henderson has been producing and dabbling as an audio engineer since he was about 10 years old. This means he carries tried-and-true experience in the field.

The day of the dance is Feb. 20, and to prepare, Henderson is practicing with his newly-acquired turntables. Being able to run a full-blown DJ setup live is a must-have skill for the annual dance.

For those who are attending, Henderson says that Winter Formal will be a night to remember, and Henderson’s exclusive playlist is sure to add to the ambiance.

$975
$1500