Editor-in-chief says goodbye to publication and staff members

May 11, 2016

As I watch my time at Central and on The Register staff come to a close, I have been trying to figure out exactly what it is that I’m feeling. A little bit nostalgic, a little bit eager. But mostly, I’m just jealous.

Now more than ever I wish I could go back and revisit the times I had on The Register. I want to remember what my first day was like, go through the process of writing my first story again, see my first byline in print. I want to relive every moment my name was called for an award. I think I must’ve gotten too comfortable, used to these feelings and accomplishments, not entirely appreciating every moment.

If I could, I’d go back to my sophomore year as I was just starting out on staff, when I was so utterly and completely filled with excitement and dreams and goals and passion. There were so many things I didn’t quite know yet- the difference between serif and sans serif fonts (the extra lines on the letters), where to go to in a crisis when the scanner isn’t working (Lodge’s room on the fourth floor, never the office), the best place for a meal in the middle of the school day (Manhattan Deli, French dip sandwich).

I suppose the feeling of being young and new will come again next year in college, but I’m not sure it’ll be quite the same. At Mizzou, I’ll be sitting in classrooms of 200 students all interested in journalism. At Central, we had 12.

Next year, I won’t be the person people go to for advice about their stories. I won’t be making executive decisions about a publication. I’ll have to work my way back up the totem pole. But that’s okay. The more I watched my ability to turn in stories on time slip, and my excitement for college grow, the more I realized that I’m ready to move on. I’ve accomplished everything I wanted to on staff and more. Editor-in-Chief, Free Spirit Scholar, State Champion in Newspaper Layout, Nebraska Journalist of the Year. And I’ve already begun checking off the boxes for next year: Mizzou Honors College, Walter Williams Journalism Scholar.

I hope I have been half the mentor to this staff as the former editors were to me. And I hope that next year the editors understand the importance of maintaining this paper’s legacy, and passing on the tradition to the next group of student journalists. The Register has become such a beacon of conversation, and I am remarkably proud of have even been a part of this publication.

Central, take care of this lovely publication and our little staff. Teachers and students and parents and our community: I only ask that you continue reading The Register and supporting us. Don’t be afraid to write to us, give us a call, let us know how we are doing. Although, I suppose after this school year, I won’t be the one picking up the phone.

And so, I guess it’s time for me to say goodbye. Goodbye to Central, the journalism department, my advisor Mrs. Blayney, my editor’s desk in 029.

There are things I’ll miss- the popcorn, the late nights, the conventions. And things I won’t- the mice, the draft, the deadlines. But most of all, I’ll just be sad to let go of this experience.

My years on The Register staff were some of the most challenging, teaching, inspiring, amazing years. I walked into class everyday met with the most wonderful people and the most talented writers. Central Journalism was truly one of a kind.

$975
$1500