3 Books sure to scare in October

October is here, which means it is time to read some more books. Due to Halloween being the holiday of the month, the top three books will all be related to horror, dystopias, zombies, or a combination.

1. Contaminated  by Em Garner

Genre: Dystopian, Thriller

Contaminated is a great book for people who want to see a different side of zombies in novels. In this case a diet drink called ThinPro causes people who drink it to become zombies. These victims called Connies become violent, uncontrollable, and completely unlike themselves. Along with the millions of people who sipped this drink, both of Velvet’s parents did as well. So fast forward two years later, Velvet is now raising her sister, working a job and trying to survive in this post-apocalypse world. Then she finds her mother in a Connie Kennel, where they keep lobotomized Connies, with doglike shock collars to prevent their violent tendencies. When she brings her mom home, she has to give up her job, house, and life to make a better life for her family. But the question that haunts her is if her mom will ever be the same.

This book is for people who want to see a different side of zombies in novels. Anyone who is interested in science, character development, or apocalypses will also enjoy this book. Finally for the people who like the authors Carrie Ryan, James Dashner, or Jeff Hirsch; this book will amaze.

1. Scythe  by Neal Shusterman

Genre: Dystopian, Action, Science Fiction

In this utopia, there is no a war, hunger, disease or needs. The human race has conquered all, even including death. Now only the Scythes can end life, and that is their job, for population control. Two teens, Citra and Rowan, are both picked to be apprentices to a Scythe. In a year’s time they must have learned the skill of killing and compete against each other, for only one apprentice can be chosen to continue on to become a scythe.

This book is filled with suspense, action, and emotion. Many people feel like this the next best thing since The Hunger Games, which came out eight years prior to this book. It is perfect for Halloween due to the suspense and the fact that this book is about the idea of killing people for the good of all. It raises many questions about humanity, and what one would do to come out on top.

1. The Stand  by Steven King

Genre: Horror, Mystery, Suspense, Adventure, Fantasy

In this book there is no utopia world to be found. Instead there are a few survivors of a plague that destroyed over 99 percent of the entire U.S. population. This plague was meant to biological warfare for the American military but a patient escapes with the mutated super-flu. Now since the population is 1/1000 of what it used to be, two groups start to form out of the wake of the disaster. Mother Abagail, a kind old woman receiving vision from God, is the first leader. She creates a peaceful community where they attempt to create a democratic society from scratch in Colorado. On the other hand, Randall Flagg is the other leader, known for delighting in violence and torture. His government is very strict, with extreme measures of torture and execution to keep people from acting out. But with his strict government, they restore Las Vegas and start searching for U.S. military arms. Once Flagg realizes that Mother Abigail’s group is a threat, a final battle between good and evil ensues.

This book is for people who love Steven King novels, the Gone Series, or any dark apocalypse story. According to many reviews it is scary, horrifying, brilliant and very climatic. This book has also been voted on many accounts to be the best Steven King Novel there is.

Photo Courtesy of AMAZON.COM

$975
$1500