Lexi Blankenfeld

Not all conversations need be political

Politics and national events have really been heating up recently. I feel like I can’t talk about anything without the conversation turning into the latest opinions on Trump or protesters or Charlottesville. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that so many people know about what’s going on and are take an interest in it. I think there are just times that don’t require people to shove their opinions down my throat.

Now, my family is very liberal and very open about their views. It’s not uncommon for us to discuss politics over dinner, in the car, or really anywhere. Recently we went to visit my grandmother; we were there for a few hours and the entire time we were talking about politics. There was no asking about health or exciting things that have happened recently with some of the family going off to college. We spent the whole time talking about Charlottesville.

I don’t think that’s a very good way to spend a visit with one’s grandmother. Things happen in this world that aren’t political. I think many people have almost disconnected with their personal lives. It happens to me sometimes; something like Charlottesville will happen and I can’t think about anything else but what our country has become. I get it. But there’s no reason to talk about it constantly. It’s depressing and annoying.

I get the need to fix things that I think are wrong. There are a lot of things that I think are wrong in our country right now. The only way to fix them is to actually do something instead of sitting there whining about it. If all anyone does is laugh at Trump and post Facebook statuses about how sad all the hate is, nothing will get done and nothing will get better.

$975
$1500