Completing short mile times proves student athletes personal successes

Anne Gallagher

More stories from Anne Gallagher

In recorded United States history, only 10 high schoolers have felt the success that comes from completing a mile in under four minutes during a track meet. The amount of sweat and tears put into accomplishing this feat takes more than an average amount of training. The all-male list of athletes that were once capable of this mile time has grown exponentially in the past fifty years, rising from five to 10 runners. Athletes around the world have completed under four-minute miles at an abundance of ages, yet achieving this goal in high school marks a different kind of competitor. The strength and determination of these young athletes is cause for worldwide inspiration. 

At Central, the fastest male mile time is around four minutes and 17 seconds. Although this time is not considered slow, it is much farther off of the under four-minute mile mark than it may seem. Every second counts and the difference between 3:59 and four minutes is the biggest barrier for these well-trained athletes.   

People who have completed a four-minute mile often don’t realize it’s significance until after the race or even after they lose their capability to run at this speed. The mile is a track event where the competitors complete four, four-hundred meter laps. These laps must be completed at an average pace of under one minute for the runner to break the four-minute time barrier. A single lap at this time in itself is a feat, yet relatively attainable for most track athletes, especially those who train at an elevated level.  

High school provides an opportunity for athletes to branch out and develop their talents in more specified areas. Track and field encompasses a variety of events that kids can compete in, in order to find their specialty. From the examination of student’s high school running careers, college coaches are able to determine who they want to run for their team. Universities are categorized through divisions with division one being the best. Many of the runners who did an under four-minute mile went on to attend division one schools. Overall, a mile under four minutes proves exemplary strength within an athlete, and helps them to gain entrance into schools with all kinds of scholarships.  

It is considered a rite of passage to the athletes on this exclusive list, such as Michael Slagowski who was the ninth runner to achieve this time at a high school track meet. He had been training extremely hard all season and eventually his work paid off, just like it did for the other boys on this list.  

What people don’t typically realize about runners is that it takes so much more than fast legs and a good coach to do well, although those things do help. The daily practices and strenuous workouts take a physical and mental toll on the athlete. Barriers have to be pushed past and a lot of mental strength has to be summoned to put your body through training and racing at this level, while the real test is seeing who is strong enough to put all of their work to use and to refuse to give up or give anything but their best. This is the reason that these four-minute miles are so highly revered. It takes perseverance, guts, and a lot of strength to run a four minute mile.