Mental Illnesses Should be Taught in School

Emily Engel, Staff Writer

By the time they reach 8th grade, most young people know all about the changes and challenges adolescence will present. Students take classes covering a variety of subjects from drug awareness to bullying; but in these classes, one essential topic tends to be left completely uncovered, mental illnesses and disorders.  

In our society, mental illnesses are treated as taboo. People with mental illnesses are taught to be ashamed of them and not to mention them. Parents avoid bringing them up to their kids because they’re afraid that if their kids are mentally ill it will be their fault. Schools don’t teach students about what they are This leaves it up to kids to educate themselves about what mental illnesses are and how to get along with the people with them. Some kids end up turning to the media to find these answers out. Unfortunately, in most movies, books, and TV shows mental illnesses are either left out or represented poorly. This can give young people with no other exposure to mental illness a bad first impression and which can contribute to the stigma surrounding them.  

The social stigma around mental illnesses comes from the belief that people with mental illnesses are dangerous. The general public doesn’t see much about mental illness on the news, but when they do it’s usually because involves a mentally ill person committing a crime and pleading insanity. Events like this reinforce the belief that mentally ill people are dangerous. It’s important to show that the stereotypes are wrong and that this group of people are fully capable of living on their own and leading an average life. A way to do this would be to have a required class in schools. It would be beneficial to inform young people because it would give them a chance to form a positive and supportive idea of mental illness. Also, one fourth of all high school age kids have some sort of mental illness, ailment, or disorder. This class could help those students see their symptoms, talk to a doctor, and take care of their illness in a healthy and positive way without shame or doubt. A class like this could also discuss the importance of mental health and how to deal with stress.