New math teacher glad to work at Central

Surprisingly, not all math teachers have been in love with since an early age. It took Sam Butler to hate his history major to know he was destined to be a math teacher.

A new faculty member, Sam Butler is a math teacher from Kansas City, Mo. He teaches pre-algebra, geometry and pre-calculus grades nine through 12. Butler also coaches freshman football and will coach varsity track.

He initially wanted to be history major and teacher but the first history class he took was taught by one of seven Sri Lankan experts in the world that had recently returned from Sri Lanka.

“It was like mid-evil history in Europe and Sri Lanka history and then we were tested on mid-evil history so I said forget that,” Butler said.

He started majoring in math when he was in math class with his roommate who was majoring in history. “I realized it was easy so I went for it,” he said.

Butler graduated from Oak Park High school participating in three years of football and all four years in track. After high school Butler attended the University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC).

Outstandingly, he received a full sports scholarship from track to UMKC and continued to be in track at UMKC on the professional team.

While attending UMKC Butler earned both a masters and bachelors degree in mathematics and statistics.

Before high school, Butler met his wife in the sixth grade during band. They began dating their junior year of high school where Butler attended UMKC and his wife went to dental school to become a dentist in the Air Force.

Originally, Butler began teaching math at Avila University located in Kansas City, Mo.

They moved to Omaha in 2011 when Butler’s wife was transferred from the military. He then became an adjunct at University of Nebraska – Omaha (UNO) from Fall 2011 to Fall 2016.

They married in 2009 and had their first child, Bryn in 2013. Two years later they had their second child Brie and recently had their third child. He would love for his children to attend Central High School.

He loves Central’s diversity and academic rigor. “I decided to teach high school because I did not enjoy teaching at the University and I was lucky enough to be offered a job at Central,” he said.

He likes the high school environment more because of relationships with students and colleagues are more rewarding. He plans to work here for as long as the math department needs him.

$975
$1500