Newly founded psychology club hopes to attract larger audience

Molly Ashford, Staff Writer

In a small classroom, a few students have a discussion about Sigmund Freud and his idea of the Oedipus complex. The conversation changes to dream interpretations and the validity of Freudian arguments, led by a passionate student and accompanied by insightful interjections from staff.
This year marked the founding of psychology club, created by freshman Leo Ray and sponsored by Mrs. Casey Denton. The group just had their second meeting, and Ray said that he plans on carrying it out for the rest of the year. “My main goal is to get more people interested in psychology,” Ray stated. “I want to teach people about the wonders of the brain and get them to be more curious.”
Ray became interested in psychology in the sixth grade after he had a freeform project that had to be centered around something that peaked his curiosity. “I figured I didn’t know much about the human brain, so I chose that for my topic. That project led me to wondering about the human brain and why humans act the way we do”, he said.
This revelation of his passion for psychology has also peaked his interest in possibly becoming a neurosurgeon in the future. Although he initially thought of becoming a school psychologist or a criminal profiler, he believes that those jobs are too ‘rock-solid’ for his nature. Neurosurgery presented itself as the perfect balance to him, giving him the opportunity to continue to learn as well as help others.
Denton and Ray hope to create a space for intellectual conversation and to expand psychological knowledge. “Psychology club will hopefully not only be educational”, Ray said, “but fun and involving as well.”