17+Review

“17” Review

November 21, 2017

This past week numerous hip hop stars released new albums. Lil Uzi Vert released “Luv is Rage 2”, A$AP Mob dropped “Cozy Tapes Vol.2”, and Action Bronson released “Blue Chips 7000”. Though all of these releases have their fair share of quality songs, XXXTentacion’s “17” was the best new album from top to bottom.

Jahseh Dwayne Onfory, better known by his stage name XXXTentacion, is a rapper from Lauderhill, Florida. He is best known for his breakthrough song “Look at Me”. While that gained him much of his fame, his newest album demonstrates his most expansive work and gained my admiration for this young artist.

Onfory is only 19 years old and was imprisoned on charges of witness tampering and aggravated battery. Being released recently on March 26, 2017 his debut studio album documents many of the demons which landed him in prison. Prior to this album his music was known simply as “party music” without much sophistication.

However, his newest album changes this viewpoint. It is a rock deviation from the riotous rap that he is most known for. Though it is descended from rock, I would still consider the album to be modern hip hop/rap, yet it holds a different vibe.

Onfory begins the album with the track “The Explanation” where he explains the deep significance of the number 17 in his life. He ends by saying “I put my all into this in hopes that it will at least cure or numb your depression.”

From this point on the album is filled with melodic songs and the same crafty flow that he is known for. However, he demonstrates his expansiveness as an artist by showcasing his singing ability, most notably in the songs “Jocelyn Flores”, “Depression and Obsession” and “Revenge”.

While I expected the album to contain its fair share of rhythmic verses, I did not expect to hear as much of Onfory’s singing voice. However, he has noted that some of his influences include Kurt Cobain, Cage the Elephant, The Fray and Coldplay. In “17,” by channeling these Alternative influences, Onfory allowed for a uniquely blended hip hop sound. Onfroy once said, “I’m really into multi-genre things that aren’t just based around rapping itself. I’m more inspired by artists in other genres besides rap.” It is clear that he wanted to demonstrate this multi-genre music that he is drawn to in his new album.

Because of its diversity, Onfroy’s unparalleled style and his emotional storytelling, “17” is a must listen to for music fans everywhere. Even if one is not typically a fan of rap music, there is no doubt in my mind that they will be able to find at least one song on this album that they can personally relate to.

$975
$1500