Vitamin supplements waste of money, effects depend on age

February 22, 2018

In 2016, National Public Radio claimed that only 20% of Americans eat the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables. While this is a reason that 36% of Americans are obese, it is also the reason many of them do not get all their vitamins and minerals. This lack of nutrients is especially dangerous for growing teenagers. While one would ideally eat a well-balanced diet to obtain their nutrients, some may turn to vitamin and mineral supplements to get what they need. These supplements can be helpful if necessary, but otherwise, they can cause health problems and be a waste of money. 

Laura Johansen has been a dietician for four and a half years and works with people trying to maintain their weight and health. “The effect of vitamins and mineral supplements, for any age, depend on the individual,” Johansen says, “If an adolescent is following a general healthy diet, he or she probably does not need to take a vitamin/mineral supplement unless directed by their doctor … I always stress the importance of getting your nutrients from whole food rather than from supplementation. You will most likely absorb the nutrients better from food than from supplements anyways.” 

Johansen advises that a diet of lean meats, low-fat dairy, whole grains and a variety of fruits and vegetables will provide a person with all their required vitamins and minerals. However, supplements can be helpful for people with a vitamin or mineral deficiency who are already eating a balanced diet. 

Supplements are not without their side effects. Johansen warns, “While many vitamins and minerals are water-soluble, meaning your body will flush the excess out, some can build up over time in your body, causing a variety of adverse symptoms.” 

One of the most well-known of these is calcification, when calcium builds up in the blood vessels, tissues and organs, disrupting normal processes. Taking too many supplements can have side effects such as headaches, tooth staining and nausea. Not to mention, if a person doesn’t have a deficiency and their doctor doesn’t recommend it, supplements can be a huge waste of money; most are around $8 for a bottle, but the more expensive brands can get into the $30 range. 

Particularly active teenagers may wish to use some supplements like creatine, caffeine and branched chain amino acids to boost their performance. While these are legal, Johansen warns against their use, as their effects on adolescents have not been studied.  

If someone doesn’t need to take vitamin and mineral supplements, it seems it’s best for him or her to just not take them. It’s a waste of money and can cause unnecessary side effects. If one’s doctor does say that a supplement might be helpful, Johansen recommends a they take a daily multivitamin for their gender and age with food unless a specific supplement is recommended by a doctor. For overall nutrition, however, Johansen says, “Supplements do not make up for a poor diet!” 

$975
$1500