2018 to be a strong year for new films

February 23, 2018

Last year, moviegoers were blessed with a range of spectacular movies, from stunning sequels to captivating dramas, with only a couple true flops. Luckily, the movies appearing in 2018 are set to dazzle audiences.

Dramas Galore

Like last year, 2018 will be filled with stunning dramas that feature Hollywood’s biggest stars.

The Post (January 12)

Directed by Stephen Spielberg, this true- story drama explains the rise of the Washington Post through its part in the 1971 Pentagon Papers. Meryl Streep plays Katherine Graham, the publisher of the Post through some of the nation’s most famous scandals. Costarring with Streep is Tom Hanks, who plays Ben Bradlee, the editor of the Post during the Pentagon Papers and oversaw the publication of the Watergate Scandal. With the sheer star power, The Post is destined to be one of the great dramas of this year.

Red Sparrow (March 2)

An espionage drama with Jennifer Lawrence playing a seductress spy for the Russians. Based on the novel by Jason Matthews, this graphically violent film shows Lawrence trying to seduce a CIA agent during the Cold War era.

Exciting Sequels

In 2018, sequels will also reign supreme. Franchises will satisfy their fans by releasing much-desired continuations with star-studded casts.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (January 26)

In the final part of the Maze Runner saga, the Gladers must break into the Last City to get their questions about the maze answered. This action-packed finale to the dystopian series is set to stun fans.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)

While not entirely a sequel, this continuation of the Star Wars franchise shows the origin of Hans Solo before he became the Rebellion icon that fans have come to love. With Alden Ehrenreich playing young Solo, Star Wars fans are bound to be delighted by this backstory.

Animated Stunners

2017 was a rather lackluster year for animated movies. But in 2018, there will be countless instant-classics on the animated front.

Early Man (February 16)

From the same creators as Wallace and Gromit comes another Claymation film. The plot follows a tribe of Stone Age humans and their battle with people from the Bronze Age. With Tom Hiddleston voicing the villain, it is bound to amuse both young and old.

Incredibles 2 (June 15)

A sequel to the Pixar classic, Incredibles 2 is set to satisfy kids and kids at heart alike. Following the plot of the original, Mr. Incredible is watching the developing Jack-Jack (the youngest Incredible) while Elastagirl is out saving the world. With much of the original cast returning, it is set to be a fantastic sequel.

Film Flops

These movies are predestined to fail, as their prequels did. The real question is why are they being made.

Fifty Shades Freed (February 9)

The third film in the Fifty Shades of Grey series is destined to turn out much like the novel was- for bored housewives. It explores Anastasia’s jealousy and her new life with husband Christian Grey. It is a miracle that it was allowed to be produced after the lackluster finish of the two prequels.

Pacific Rim Uprising (March 23)

A sequel to Pacific Rim, Pacific Rim Uprising uses Transformers-like machines to combat alien monsters. In the sequel, there is a new uprising of monsters that the characters must use machines to combat in order to save the fate of humanity. The first film was an enormous flop, and the second one will probably be no different.

Noticeably Marvel Movies have been left off this list due to their appearance in another article. For the complete 2018 Marvel lineup, go to omahacentralregister.com.

$975
$1500