Walkouts prove democratic, help students express opinion

April 5, 2018

In American society, education is valued highly. For kids ages 5-18, school is a job that takes up most of their time and helps to form their personalities. Within these school borders, they should be able to express these personalities. In accordance to the way they feel, students are often smart enough to express themselves in a harmless yet influential way. Hosting a walk out is a powerful way to express the beliefs that students have formed as a response to gun violence in American schools.
In classes like U.S. History and American Government, the past and present state of politics is expressed throughout the curriculum. The intellectual power of students rises as they make informed decisions about what they politically believe in. A current issue being discussed is that of gun control. The side of the debate that feels reform is necessary is taking a stand so that their input has a chance of making a change.
For seven hours a day, students are cooped up in classrooms learning about solutions to problems surrounding all fields of life. In each class, their point of views change as they learn, helping them to further develop their character. Arguments and discussions happen regarding all topics, and students can use their voices to express what they feel is right versus wrong. A lot of students find the issue of accessible automatic rifles something that they deem wrong. For this reason, they should be able to use the tactics they have learned in school to rally against it. Walking out of school may seem like a trivial task that is harmful for the day-to-day routine of the student, but it can teach more than a classroom lesson and have much more of an effect.
Although many algebraic equations do not have prevalent real-life applications, the issue of gun control does. There have been 18 instances in 2018 in which a gun was brought onto and shot at the grounds of a school. This has done more than alarmed students, it has ignited passion into those searching for a safe place to carry out their education. A school walk out is a safe and powerful expression that may take away from class time but adds to a student’s real-world experiences and potential. As the anniversary of the Columbine, April 20th is a well-informed date to carry out Central’s walk out, so that the resounding voice of thousands of students can vouge for all of those who have lost their lives due to gun violence.
Students should be able to voice their opinions, and school is one of the best platforms to do this. It is where they have been educated about issues like constitutional rights and politics. Speaking their minds will prove the importance of the education these high-schoolers have received throughout their lives. Seventeen kids at Stoneman Douglas High School with never get a chance to have their voices heard again so it is only fair that those who still have one can speak up against these issues. Our society is heavily affected by the issue of gun violence, so students should be able to use the most powerful platform they have to demonstrate their attempts to change what they believe is corrupt. A walk out is a courageous power move, but the class absence isn’t what matters to these students or to this country, but rather the effects on the American legislative point of view.

$975
$1500