Popular Broadway show ‘Hamilton’ to arrive in Omaha next Fall

April 5, 2018

Since its Broadway debut, Hamilton has become a dynasty that has support across the world. Its beautiful fusion of rap and plot has drawn attention from fans across the world, and rightfully so. Lin-Manuel Miranda fuses the upbeat rhymes with the drama and plot of play perfectly to make an operetta that is not only enjoyable, but evokes the audience’s emotions.

In the first act, Miranda’s score is centered on introducing Hamilton to the audience, told from the perspective of his nemesis, Aaron Burr (Jimmie Jeter). Through this upbeat introduction, the audience is introduced to the characters and Hamilton himself. While the setting is rather bare throughout the play, various props draw the audience’s eye and allow for their focus to wander.

Throughout this act, show-goers watch Alexander Hamilton (Miguel Cervantes) build his legacy, from the Revolutionary War to his time as Secretary of the Treasury under President Washington (Johnathan Kirkland). The crowd also watches as Hamilton courts his future wife, Eliza (Ari Afsar), and how their relationship grows. The music remains fast-paced and upbeat, with short, comedic appearances from King George (Andrew Call).

The second act faces a drastic shift in tone. The audience is once again reminded of Hamilton’s nemesis, Aaron Burr. With him comes Thomas Jefferson (Colby Lewis), the main comedic relief (and Hamilton’s nemesis), who counteracts Hamilton’s every move. The two work beautifully together, in an almost sibling manner.

But the tragedy of Hamilton sets in during this act. His career and marriage are nearly ruined due to his affair with Maria Reynolds. Afsar stuns and outrages the crowd with her soliloquy in “Burn”, nearly to the point of turning against Hamilton. Despite his transgressions, the audience still walks away with a connection to Hamilton and root for his success.

Nearly four years after its initial release, Omaha will have the opportunity to experience this Broadway favorite on September 10, 2019. Though it has been out for some time, first time play-goers and fan girls will be in awe of the amount of talent and energy that is brought before them.

$975
$1500