Local artists deserve more representation in elite galleries

April 5, 2018

With the rise of globalization, the need for local artists have never been greater. The arts are the way to preserve the uniqueness of culture in a region against the broad sweeping brush of universal trends and culture. Without these artists, much of Omaha’s culture may be forgotten.

In comparison with other cities, Omaha is lacking in the local arts. While the Joslyn does show the arts, very few galleries features works by Nebraska natives. There is only one gallery that is dedicated purely to Omaha artists, which is a small side room off of the contemporary exhibits.

This insult of an exhibit barely scratches the surface of the local talent that Omaha artists have to offer. A short trip to Hot Shops (13th and Nicholas) shows a variety of local artists that are masterful in their respective crafts. These works range from blown glass to violin making, yet none of these works manage to be represented in the elite galleries of Joslyn or other galleries in Omaha.

The local visual artists are not the only ones who are underappreciated by the elite art institutions. The Orpheum only allows plays that have been established as guaranteed favorites (i.e. Wicked, Hamilton). And while it is a perfectly accepted to show these established shows, the lack of attention for local actors and playwrights contributes to a cycle of ignorance for the local arts.

On the other side of the spectrum, the Omaha Community Playhouse only represents Omaha. The actors are all local, and many of the productions are fueled by volunteer labor. These locally-fueled productions are critically acclaimed and draw attention to the local talent in Omaha.

By only showing nationally acclaimed art, people become blind to the local artists and shift their support from artists that are just beginning to those that have established themselves. This makes it more difficult for new artists to become established.

Additionally, these elite galleries and institutions often are much more expensive than local artists-which contributes to the stigma that art is only for the wealthy, when in actuality local artists are more than affordable.

In order to improve Omaha’s local arts, elite institutions need to give more attention to the local talent. By doing this, local arts will flourish with new found attention and appreciation. Plus, the new life in the local arts will bring the community much closer together.

$975
$1500