Local artist paints with puzzle pieces

April 5, 2018

When Omaha comes up in conversation, it is rarely for the arts. Despite its lack of publicity, Omaha has spectacular artists that are rarely appreciated. One such artist is Dar Vande Voort.

Vande Voort has worked as a painter in Omaha for twenty-two years, moving from rural Iowa. Although Vande Voort makes stunning works, she has no formal training in painting

“I’ve taken a few workshops over the years but I have no formal training” Dar Vande Voort said. “I would love to, but there’s not enough time in the day.”

Vande Voort’s favorite elements to manipulate are texture and color. Her works often have bright colors and strong textures with in the piece.

“It’s fun,” Vande Voort said. “I love to tickle the viewers eye with the illusion of a third dimension whether it is actual chunks in the painting or just an illusion.”

Many of her works establish texture with the use of puzzle pieces. She originally created her own puzzle pieces, but now she receives donations.

“I have never put together a puzzle in my life,” Vande Voort said. “I just don’t have the patience.”

Despite her dislike for puzzles as a game, she still actively features the pieces in her works and classes.

“I really enjoy the fact that I’m recycling and that I’m tickling the viewers eye” Vande Voort said. “It breaks the ice when I’m working with kids and adults. If they know the painting is chunky, then they’re not so worried about having to make it look real or having so much pressure on them.”

Even with her years of experience, she still makes an effort to learn in each of her works.

“If I’m not learning by a piece, then I better get a different brush,” she said. “It should be a challenge and it should be learning. I should be learning in each piece I do.”

$975
$1500